Sy's art

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Sy's art

Postby Syreth » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:59 am

Well, here's a new thread, since my first try at compy art is long gone. I'll just post some random stuff in here. Some of it's ok, some of it I'm not quite satisfied with, but I'd just like to share it with you guys and see what you all think. Here's one I did in GIMP. I think I could work on him a lot more, but I kinda beat him into the ground and to get what I want now I would have to deface him. His name is Chris Thomas. I like the name Christopher, it means "bearing Christ."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Syreth

Postby Syreth » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:08 am

here's some stuff that I've done this year. They're all out of my old school sketchbook that I'm trying to fill up with art. The char. design one of brent has its problems, but he's kinda still in development as well as my style, which has changed since then. The one of the forest and the lady standing there I worked on at the beginning of this semester, but realized after I finished she had some problems with proportionality. I'm pretty happy w/ sword dude, except the shiny spots on his armor look fake. Anyone know how to do shiney spots real well? Sword girl is another one of my characters, not quite sure how she'll fit into my story, but I'll figure out something or other.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Syreth

Postby Syreth » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:13 am

Here's one I drew for a friend at college. Obviously the cross isn't meant to be an accurate replica. The tomb, however, is poorly done and of course there's the dove (at least that's what it's SUPPOSED to be). Anyone have any good bird tips?
Syreth

Postby Golden_Griff » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:44 pm

Oooh :o I think I like the last one the most :)

You have some neat drawings here Syreth. I see some areas where you could improve as well. On "sword dude" as you call him :lol: his feet look rather small, and his legs are kinda large.

The one with the forest is neat too. You worked hard on the scenery I can tell. I rarely stick with one picture enough to draw a background like that :eyeroll:

The girl with the sword, she looks as if she's leaning directly on it. But the sword bypasses where her feet are planted, which tells me that the sword is in front of her. I think if the tip of the sword stops on the same line as her feet it would look more "correct."

Well, that's all I'll say for now. Keep it up :thumb:
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby sunet » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:53 pm

wow! i really like your art!!
the stuff's really unique.
good job. ^_^
sunet

Postby Syreth » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:02 pm

Hey, thanks for the tips, Griff. It's helped me to look at some things differently. I never realized how small that guy's feet actually were! wow... I think I need to pay more attention during the drafting stage so that my proportions don't turn out messed up. Sometimes I just wanna get going on a drawing right away and get it finished.
Syreth

Postby Golden_Griff » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:05 pm

Syreth wrote: Sometimes I just wanna get going on a drawing right away and get it finished.

Hey, I know exactly what you're talking about :lol:
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby Mave » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:26 pm

You're pretty detailed, which adds a nice touch in all your pieces.

Griffy has already shared some good comments. About making the armor look shinier, perhaps making the outlines of the shiny part lighter, might help. I think the reason why the shiny part looks somewhat fake is because its outlines stand out too much. Another option may be to let the shiny part trail throughout each of the armor pieces (it's kinda hard to describe this option).

The sword girl looks a little buff to me. Was that intended?

Keep up the great job! XD
Mave

Postby Syreth » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:03 pm

Hey, thanks for the advice about the shineys, as well as the compliment. I think I need to get used to texturing different materials. Yeah, I meant to make the sword girl look a little buff, but I got a little carried away. It is, after all, a pretty big sword, so it wouldn't make much sense to make her look petite, but hey, I guess it doesn't really matter all that much since the character is a fantasy-type.
Syreth

Postby Jaltus-bot » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:46 am

I missed you and your work Syreth. :hug:
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Syreth » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:04 am

aww, thanks shehezerade, I missed you too!! :hug:
Syreth

Postby That Dude » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:26 pm

Hey I really liked your cross picture. Keep up the good work.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Syreth » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:49 pm

I was experimenting to try to get an underwater-type thing going on. Do you guys have any tips or critiques that would help me with this? I did my best, but I'm rather stumped. I'm using GIMP 2.
Syreth

Postby Mave » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:35 am

I would respond more in this thread but I don't use GIMP. ^_^; Is it somewhat alike to PShop?
Mave

Postby CreatureArt » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:26 am

I really like your artwork, Syreth. I agree that Brent Wood is a very cool character - I especially love how you've drawn the coat collars on the furthermost right picture. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You've got that billowing out sooo nicely, it's making me jealous!

The computer coloured one at the start of the thread I also think looks excellent.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Syreth » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:23 pm

[quote="Mave"]I would respond more in this thread but I don't use GIMP. ^_^]
Hmm... I have no idea if it's like photoshop, cause I've never used photoshop! I probably missing out, huh? Everyone keeps saying how great it is. Well, I'd appreciate any advice you could give, really. Something to make it look... I dunno... more watery? or more like you're looking up from under the water?
Syreth

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:56 pm

You do good work.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby CreatureArt » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:53 pm

The only advice I can give is to perhaps break up the circles a bit - so that they aren't joined all the way around. The choppiness of the waters could break up the clear lines and distore them more - but it depends how rough they are, of course.

Even adding some more light rippling shadows could help - but this is all just off the top of my head, so take it with a good dose of salt. :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Syreth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:05 am

Hey, I'm back with some more art. *digs and digs* Hope it's okay to bring this thread back up here. This is my first attempt at doing the linework with pen, scanning and coloring digitally. I don't know why I picked that verse, I suppose it doesn't have much to do with the picture, but there you go.
Syreth

Postby Syreth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:11 am

#1 is Ashton Anchors from Star Ocean EX. I drew a freehand copy of a frame in the manga.

#2 is original. I call him a cyborg knight because after I drew it, I realized that there's no way a human could fit in that suit of armor. whoops.

#3 is obvious. Not original. Sasuke and Naruto.
Syreth

Postby Syreth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:15 am

#1 is one of my characters. His name is Rae. The mountains in the background look like haystacks. Oh well. :hits_self

#2 is digital clouds. It was actually kinda fun to make and easier than I thought. I'm sure there's a better way to do them, so if you would like to enlighten me, go for it. Using GIMP. yay.
Syreth

Postby Syreth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:22 am

This one is a random combination of Biblical sites. The wall is from Hebron, the city of refuge. Jesus Christ is our fortress and a wall around us when the avenger of blood is chasing after us. His sacrifice is our protection.
The other Biblical site in this picture is Mars Hill, the Areopagus, where Paul gave his famous sermon to the epicurean and stoic philosophers. Christ is our Rock. He is our only sure foundation in life. My friend did the caligraphy. He's very good at it, isn't he? It's funny though, because his handwriting is terrible.
Syreth

Postby Spirit Ninja » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:09 pm

Wow, Syreth! These are NICE!!!!
My favorites are the first and last pictures.
You are pretty good with drawing rocks and waters. And all that background stuff people usually have problems with! I also like how to shade and tone everything with your pencil instead of just having lineart. It really sets a mood and look good.
Cool cool stuff!!!! ^___^ Yay.
If only this was DeviantArt. I'd add you to my watch list!
"Sorry, I got lost on the path known as life today." ~Kakashi, (Naruto)
:forehead: :poke:
"In the ninja world,
those that do not follow the rules are called trash.
But you know,
those that don't take care of their friends
are worse than trash!"
~Kakashi (Naruto)
Spirit Ninja

Postby Syreth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:13 pm

Hey, thanks for the encouragement, buddy! Always much appreciated. I see you are a Naruto fan as well as a Kakashi fan. You have good taste, my friend (also a cool avatar).
Syreth

Postby Syreth » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:39 pm

Pic #1 Winged Bride -- Is she an angel? Not necessarily. Just because a person has wings doesn't mean they're an angel. I drew her at a time that I needed to, cause I was drawing too many scary things and they were tripping me out. Of course, that was probably because I had a high fever at the time and I was stuffed full of tylenol too.

Pic #2 Evil -- I don't know her name yet. Any ideas? She's evil. Incredibly evil, even though she doesn't totally look like it.

Pic #3 Brent -- Yeah, another Brent pic. I like drawing that guy.
Syreth

Return to Art Corner