soul alive's sketchbook album

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:24 pm

wah! the evils of a retardedly slow computer with a dial-up internet connection... :bang: i couldn't do any image attaching to posts on CAA while i was home over break. now that i am back at school, i shall be posting like crazy :dance: .

here is a cleaned and scanned version of Azriel, and one where i added a background to it. i don't know if i like the background... i'm leaning toward not liking it, but, hey, it functions.

and i got erasable water colors for Christmas !!!! now i can paint like crazy and not worry about bloops, because i can erase them to my heart's content, and get the image just right, before heat-setting it to make it permanent.

oh, and bummer news, my picture was not accepted for the exhibit... :shady: wonder why... ^^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soul alive

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:32 pm

i kept myself busy by experimenting with my photo-editing software (which is really, just glorified Paint :shady: ) over break, making, or attempting to, wallpapers of series i watch/read.

the first is of Conan Edogawa from Case Closed.
the second and third are of Kaoru from Rurouni Kenshin, praying, the first has yellow on the borders, the second doesn't.
the fourth is of Rain and Domon from G Gundam. i don't really like the text, but it was the best that could be done with what i had to work with... the background was really hard to find a text that would work with it.
and the fifth is Vash and Wolfwood from Trigun, i'm not crazy about the text location and color, but... ^_^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soul alive

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:36 pm

more walls:

the first is of Wolfwood, and his bike.
the second is of Wolfwood, again.
the third is of Wolfwood, with orphans/kids. i found a lot of images i liked of him.
and the fourth is of Kenshin.
soul alive

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:25 pm

and here are some pictures from my senior year art class.

the first is a life drawing, about 40 minutes of work. colored pencil

the second is another life drawing, about an hour of work. colored pencil

the third is a life drawing about five hours and 20 minutes of work (this one is titled "It's No Fun Being Audrey" since the model was dressed Audrey Hepburn style, and was very unhappy about having gotten herself into posing for four 80 minute classes). graphite

the fourth is a still life, no clue how long this took. colored pencil

the fifth is a project where we had to place our subject in an imaginary type setting. the model is the same one from the third picture. and yes, that is a stuffed manatee she is holding. (i don't really like this painting, her head is too large... >.< oh well). water colors.
soul alive

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:27 pm

and more high school artwork.

the first is the geisha and shougun painting i posted earlier, better pictures, as promised.

the second is a close-up of the shougun side. inks (technically, gel pens ^^)

the third is a close-up of the geisha side. water colors

the fourth picture is another life drawing, about an hour of work. colored pencil
soul alive

Postby soul alive » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:39 pm

got Lia colored finally.

for coloring, i used my new eraseable watercolors. got 'em for Christmas. they work pretty slick and are darn fast (meaning they dry super quick). they are eraseable, although the 'fully eraseable' that was advertised is highly questionable, until you heat set them. the wierd thing is they smell like science experiment and the pigment seperates in seconds from the dilutant, meaning you have to mix it around every time you dip your brush in the paint. i will stick to real watercolors for regular artwork, but use these for anime artwork, since they take on a wierd shine when they are heat set and the dilutant turns the paper brown when it is heat set :shady: , that i wouldn't want on a still life painting, but wouldn't mind on an anime character painting that i will be cleaning up on the computer anyway... ah well.
soul alive

Postby soul alive » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:33 pm

some more pics.

the first is a concept idea that i am messing around with based on the Japanese proverb: fall seven times, stand up eight.

the second is my architecture project i just got done on friday. i had to build a 4"x4"x4" box, with a wood-piece sculpture inside of it, and paint everything black. then it got cut in half, and we had to draw a section drawing of the two halves, using only pencil or colored pencil, i chose colored pencil. the purpose was to show us what physically goes into doing a section drawing, since in real life, we can't cut a building in half.

:?:
and folks, please, pretty, pretty please, make some comments/criticisms/questions/anything on the last few posts i have made. i've made 8 posts in a row without anyone saying anything and i'm beginning to feel sorry for myself :sniffle:
soul alive

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:49 pm

hey, your work is really good. some very nice life drawings :] and I really love the shogun and geisha. I also like the Japanese proverb one. you're good with watercolor, whereas I could never get them to bend to my will :lol:

keep doing more good work :D
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby soul alive » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:03 pm

<.< >.> *wasn't expecting to get such a quick reply to her whining* ^^

hey, thanks Shiroi! i love using watercolors, and totally agree that they are hard to work with. it took me quite a while to learn the ins and outs of manipulating them, and i am still learning new techniques, but they're so much fun. (plus they appeal to my insanely impatient work ethic... ^^. i can't handle using acrylics since they take so long to dry {heh, like 5-10-ish minutes is all that long :3} and i haven't even tried to use oils since they take even longer...)
soul alive

Postby Angelchick » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:35 pm

very nice art. i love the last one you posted. it looks so cool. i want to try to do something like that.
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby soul alive » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:57 pm

thanks Angelchick.

actually, the box wasn't all that difficult to do, especially if you have done craft-type stuff before. if you seriously want to do one like it, i could give you further directions.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby soul alive » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:09 pm

got Entertaining Angels painted finally, woot. tis the fifth pic below.

the other four are pictures i took of the spiral i made from strips i was cutting for my current architecture project. i liked the shadow it made... ^^
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby WhiteKnight23 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Very cool architecture pictures. The shadow does look really neat. What was the spiral supposed to be for though? The colored picture with the angels is pretty cool as well. Keep it up. Oh, and Happy Valentines day Sara.
WhiteKnight23

Postby soul alive » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:00 pm

^^ - the spiral was me dinking off to keep myself amused while cutting 24 strips of museum board.
Happy Valentines to you as well. *hug*
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby soul alive » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:19 pm

and here's my architecture project that i just finished and turned in today.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Shinja » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:34 pm

ah cool, very modern
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby soul alive » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:54 am

thanks.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Angelchick » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:38 pm

cool, i like it. i love modern stuff.
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby soul alive » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:05 am

wah, i haven't posted in here for so long... but i haven't had time to really do anything *cries*

but i have done a few things here goes:

i've been experimenting with ikebana - Japanese flower arranging - here are a couple projects i've done:
ImageImage

this is a rough character design sketch of one of the characters for my future manga. 'he' is an angel, name - Sorek (means 'noble vine' in Hebrew) his design is loosely based on Ancient Eqyptian culture, no Yugi-oh influence :P. i like how 'he' turned out:
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby soul alive » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:20 pm

after pressure from WhiteKnight23, i'm posting some art i've done. these are some sketches of more characters i'm working on. they are just rough sketches though, haven't had time for anything else.

the first two are of Emperor's Consort, Magistra Anammelech, sorry for the blurriness, i photographed them, since i am scannerless... i liked the second one, because i used the super close up option, and i liked the effect it had.

the third is of one of the angels, Jehosheba, means (Oath to Jah, Jah being short for Jehova)
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby soul alive » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:24 pm

more sketches

the first is of Jerusha, a fallen angel, name means 'possessed'

the second is Kinson Verdain, one of the main people

the third is of Emperor Adrammelech Gaias Julius, and yes, his name is similar to the Consort... Anammelech means 'kingly image' and was listed as a woman's name in my Bible dictionary. Adrammelech means 'fire king,' which i thought fitting for an emperor, it was a man's name in my dictionary.
soul alive

Postby soul alive » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:27 pm

yet more sketches

the first is the full drawing of the Consort

the second is two other characters, the one on the left is Gesham, meaning 'filthy' and the one on the right is a master of ceremonies for the emperor.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Krypto306 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:45 pm

your stuff is sweet, love it with colour, nice job
Krypto306

Postby soul alive » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:55 pm

thanks. ^^ i can't wait until school is over and i can do more in-depth artwork, with color... :evil:
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:56 pm

Great stuff Soul! Its always good when you see you're improving isn't it?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby soul alive » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:57 pm

yes, much so. like i said, i can't wait until this summer. i've started scripting the manga i've been planning, and hopefully something solid will come out
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:59 pm

I'll be eagerly anticipating it! God Bless!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby soul alive » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:01 pm

thanks. ^^

:edit: added pictures to this post to refrain from posting more times in a row than necessary.

the first is a random sketch, originally a character development sketch for Kinson, but after i got a design for him, this one i kept though, and it ended up being another character, who he is, and what he does, i have not decided yet... but that day will come, and if it doesn't, well i had fun drawing him anyway.

the second is a water color i did for my Bible study leader.

the third is my architecture final project model. i got a 'B' on the assignment, which made me very, very happy. it was a tie for the second highest grade in the class, the highest was a 'B+' no 'A's were awarded for overall project grades...
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby soul alive » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:27 pm

more sketches for manga development.

the first is Adrammelech (left) and Anammelech(right) just a quick pose sketch, there are proportions wront, like Ana's hand, but *shrugs* just a sketch.

the second is of a Roman Senator - Pompus Garus... who makes me laugh because he came out looking like Mr. Spock crossed with the guy who plays Magneto in X-Men... XD

the third is a quick sketch i did to amuse myself during physics of a coliseum tiger... without any references for the form.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby soul alive » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:12 pm

more sketches - sketching during physics and econ seems to be quite productive for me... but maybe i should have been paying attention in econ... *shrugs* drawing's more fun anyway. XD

first one is a quickie sketch i did, that turned into Sorek, when i was playing with my pretty new markers. *huggles markers* i should use them more... *contemplates future uses*

the second one is a quick sketch i did today in physics (you can see part of an equation on the left side, above 'her' leg) - full body pose for Jehosheba.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Previous Next

Return to Art Corner