Do You Have a Favourite Hymn?

Talk about anything in here.

Do You Have a Favourite Hymn?

Postby Furen » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:37 pm

I know it's music, but I feel it should be here instead. When any of you go to church (Or just listen to your music) are there hymns that you really really like?
I like a bunch of hymns, but I always love expanding my horizons in musical fronts, especially of the theologically sound variety.

Mine's likely... Is "In Christ Alone" a hymn? If so, that. (When I googled it, it seemed to be up for contention as to whether it is or isn't, but I feel it fits the criteria)

Yeah, In Christ Alone
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Re: Do You Have a Favourite Hymn?

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:19 am

"God of Our Fathers" is one of my favorites.

I'll have to admit though that I'm one of the "Old Guard" when it comes to singing in church, so any I'll recommend on that front is gonna be old. But for out of church, most anything by the artist Chris Rice. His songs just seem closer to where I am at in my walk than most christian artists. Also the group Superchic[k] is pretty good. Also seem to be closer, or at least more applicable to, my walk.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Sheenar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:10 pm

"I Need Thee Every Hour", "Be Thou My Vision", "Because He Lives", and "It is Well" are my favorite hymns.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:18 pm

"Crown Him with Many Crowns", "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name", "Holy Holy Holy", and just about every religious Christmas Carol ever written (in particular, "Of the Father's Love Begotten", "Angels From the Realms of Glory", "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing", etc.).
ClosetOtaku

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:07 pm

"It is Well," "The Old Rugged Cross," "What a Friend We Have in Jesus," "How Firm a Foundation," and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." :)
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby Jonathan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:45 am

I'm not the biggest fan of hymns, (And until recently I had usually sat down during hymns and didn't sing but now I do get up and sing even if I think I'm horrible at singing lol,) but if I had any favorites it would be "In My Father's House", "Amazing Grace", "Love Lifted Me", "God Be With You", " and "God Will Take Care of You". ( The latter two hymns I know because at the Friends Meeting I go to they would play one of these two hymns to close the service. They don't play "God Be With You" anymore but they still play "God Will Take Care of You" at the end of each service.)
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby Mave » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:33 am

I think How Great Thou Art is a hymn of some sort - it always gives me a certain inner spirit boost whenever I hear it. I immediately have the desire to stand up & sing it out loud.
Mave

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Gaaaaaaaaah, so many. If I have to pick, Come Thou Fount. Or Sweet Hour of Prayer. I don't know. They're all so wonderful.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to General