Churches Protesting AnimeCons

Talk about anything in here.

Churches Protesting AnimeCons

Postby ashfire » Sun May 24, 2015 5:04 pm

I noticed on the Animazement Facebook Site that a church had been protesting at Animazement this year. They did not bother anyone but had the signs and could have been shouting at attendees as they went by. I just wonder how members of the CAA would feel if they seen this at a con they are attending?
I don't think it would bother me unless they stand in my way at which time I would advise them I am a member of Public Safety and they are interfering my need to do my duty. I feel even thou I would be off duty, most will say a member of Public Safety is never off duty. I am one to watchout for everyone.
ashfire

Re: Churches Protesting AnimeCons

Postby SisterHipster » Sun May 24, 2015 5:18 pm

O.o So sorry to hear about this. In a situation like this I would face palm (on the inside) at how too conservative people can be. It's like how some people say, would it be a good idea or a God idea? I mean, yeah, some anime is not really morally good (downright blasphemous at times) and there are fans that can act pretty cultish about what they're fanatic about, but this gives Christianity a bad name. This is only going to push people away. Pushing an agenda or a moral belief on somebody who doesn't agree will never work. Look at the Crusades, for example. Creatives as well as fans gives us an opportunity to be good role models to others and witness to the West and the East.
SisterHipster

Postby Midori » Sun May 24, 2015 6:53 pm

This kind of thing makes me worried until I realize there are probably many times more Christians attending the con than there are protesting it.
Midori

Postby Xeno » Sun May 24, 2015 7:46 pm

ashfire wrote:I would advise them I am a member of Public Safety and they are interfering my need to do my duty. I feel even thou I would be off duty, most will say a member of Public Safety is never off duty.

As another public safety official, trust me when I say you definitely get to be off duty, especially if you're hanging out at an anime convention.
Xeno

Postby Jonathan » Sun May 24, 2015 8:28 pm

SisterHipster wrote:O.o So sorry to hear about this. In a situation like this I would face palm (on the inside) at how too conservative people can be. It's like how some people say, would it be a good idea or a God idea? I mean, yeah, some anime is not really morally good (downright blasphemous at times) and there are fans that can act pretty cultish about what they're fanatic about, but this gives Christianity a bad name. This is only going to push people away. Pushing an agenda or a moral belief on somebody who doesn't agree will never work. Look at the Crusades, for example. Creatives as well as fans gives us an opportunity to be good role models to others and witness to the West and the East.

I agree with you, I think that people like those protesters give people the wrong impression of Christianity.
By the way, Isn't Animemazement one of those conventions in Raleigh, NC?
I've heard about it because I live in North Carolina.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby ADXC » Mon May 25, 2015 10:41 am

All of this talk of church goers at anime cons reminds me of Spike Spencer's story "Going Down" from his audio cd, "What Happens at the Con, Stays at the Con...?" (Which can be bought here: http://spikespencer.com/books-writing/)

@ Jonathan - Yup, it's one of the best anime cons I've gone to. It's been going strong since 1998 when it first started in a Hilton in Raleigh, then went to a Sheraton in Durham for quite a few years, and then back to Raleigh using the very big Raleigh convention center.
ADXC

Postby Anirac » Tue May 26, 2015 9:29 am

SisterHipster wrote:O.o So sorry to hear about this. In a situation like this I would face palm (on the inside) at how too conservative people can be. It's like how some people say, would it be a good idea or a God idea? I mean, yeah, some anime is not really morally good (downright blasphemous at times) and there are fans that can act pretty cultish about what they're fanatic about, but this gives Christianity a bad name. This is only going to push people away. Pushing an agenda or a moral belief on somebody who doesn't agree will never work. Look at the Crusades, for example. Creatives as well as fans gives us an opportunity to be good role models to others and witness to the West and the East.

I agree with everything! Someone needs to tell them that this hurts the cause more than it helps.
Anirac

Postby SisterHipster » Sat May 30, 2015 4:38 pm

Dude, somebody blast this song at them. Heck do a skit to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWNw39UdofI
SisterHipster

Postby Xeno » Sun May 31, 2015 3:33 pm

SisterHipster wrote:Dude, somebody blast this song at them. Heck do a skit to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWNw39UdofI

I don't know what this is, but it is bad. I would make me leave from any place that was playing it, so I guess mission accomplished.
Xeno

Postby SisterHipster » Sun May 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Xeno wrote:
SisterHipster wrote:Dude, somebody blast this song at them. Heck do a skit to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWNw39UdofI

I don't know what this is, but it is bad. I would make me leave from any place that was playing it, so I guess mission accomplished.

Dude, Andy Mineo is the bomb. This song is the whole point of what I just said in like 3 to 4 minutes, and it's amusing that they would be turned off by rap.
SisterHipster

Postby IPv4 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:00 am

I dunno about u guys, but I would love getting all that attention.
IPv4

Return to General