Remembrance/Veterans Day

Talk about anything in here.

Remembrance/Veterans Day

Postby Furen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:12 am

I just wanted to take time to thank the many who gave their lives to serving their countries to keep them safe, so we can freely live.

Also, thanks to God who gave His life for all, so that we may have life to the fullest.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Re: Remembrance/Veterans Day

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:54 pm

I want to acknowledge the many, many people who have given their lives in the line of duty, and for those who are still living, but have given so much more than their country will realize. Many sacrifices have been made by our soldiers in order to serve and protect their countries. Let's not forget that, and give them the praise and acknowledgment they deserve.

I know CAA has at least one veteran, though he may not be around to read this; but to all you guys who do happen to read this, thank you so much.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:25 pm

o7
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:I know CAA has at least one veteran, though he may not be around to read this

What are you talking about? I'm on here like every freakin' day!

Also, guys. Memorial Day is for those who died while in the service, and is in spring (summer? Can't remember). Veterans Day is for those of us who are still alive. You can remember this by remembering that a memorial is put up when someone dies. Memorial for death, Memorial Day. And then by process of elimination, Veterans Day is for the living ones!

Anyway thank you everybody for honoring me for playing PS2 in the ships' lounge, bribing an MS buddy to bring me leftover food by offering to let him watch my fansubbed Sailor Moon VHS tapes, telling aerodales to check and see if the bulb is bad BEFORE calling someone up from the electricians' shop, and having farting contests while standing watch in the engine room. It means a lot to know it was not all in vain.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:41 am

In my defense, I wasn't aware that you were a veteran, Nate. As for the holiday mixup, the title of the thread should clear that up. It's Remembrance Day in Canada, which is basically the equivalent of our Memorial Day. Ren's the one who made this thread, and he's Canadian, so....

Also, I know you're just joking and whatnot, but I don't particularly feel that it's in good taste to make light of a day like this, even if you didn't take your military service seriously. But maybe that's just me.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Furen » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:53 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:Also, I know you're just joking and whatnot, but I don't particularly feel that it's in good taste to make light of a day like this

Yeah... My family wouldn't be here if not for people standing up for my country.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:54 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:It's Remembrance Day in Canada, which is basically the equivalent of our Memorial Day. Ren's the one who made this thread, and he's Canadian, so....

Well then I learned something today!
Also, I know you're just joking and whatnot, but I don't particularly feel that it's in good taste to make light of a day like this, even if you didn't take your military service seriously. But maybe that's just me.

I took my service very seriously, you kind of can't take the military light-hearted for a lot of reasons. But no matter how serious I took it it didn't change the fact that standing 6/6 watch underway was hell, and that people would immediately call the rewind shop the second a bulb burned out because they were too lazy to replace it, which wasted our time for stuff that was actually important.

I'm not making light of it. I'm just sick and jaded by people who praise servicemembers/veterans and then turn around and treat us like crap with their politics. I'm not saying that's you, I'm just tired of seeing political cartoons from known jerks who are like "Thank you for your service" but want to hurt us in very real ways with the views they espouse. I'm not a hero. I'm a person who didn't know what to do after high school and thought the military was my best bet. There are a lot of other people like that that I know. Filipino guys who wanted American citizenship and knew that joining the Navy was a quick path to it, or people who were just joining for the sweet GI Bill money, and even a couple of people who were hardcore racists and just wanted an excuse to kill brown people in the Middle East.

I'm not trying to bash people who served. I knew some great people in the Navy, and there were of course the guys who wanted to serve their country, to give back in some way to the place they grew up in. I'm not even saying you have to view veterans or military folk with disdain, or that you can't be proud of what they're doing, or that you have to say "Well they're just people." This is CAA, I can't really rant like I'd like to, so I won't.

But I will say: if you think veterans are good, if you think they deserve praise, if you think they deserve honors for what they did, please remember a lot of veterans have problems when they get out of the service. Remember that a lot of veterans are poor, and struggle to make a living. Please don't support things that hurt the veterans who are living in poverty and need help to survive.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Because all I like to do is stir up trouble...

But like for real during Veterans Day, Washington DC was basically shut down for a day for some huge concert, instead of going towards Veterans healthcare and education. As much I incredibly and vehemently oppose the idea of glorifying wars, soldiers, and this misguided sense of "troops defending our freedoms" and whatever, we need to stop honor our vets with our words and actually SUPPORT them by tending to their NEEDS, because they have NEEDS that are not being met because our government and society is stupid.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Xeno » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Because all I like to do is stir up trouble...

But like for real during Veterans Day, Washington DC was basically shut down for a day for some huge concert, instead of going towards Veterans healthcare and education. As much I incredibly and vehemently oppose the idea of glorifying wars, soldiers, and this misguided sense of "troops defending our freedoms" and whatever, we need to stop honor our vets with our words and actually SUPPORT them by tending to their NEEDS, because they have NEEDS that are not being met because our government and society is stupid.

But I don't feel as good about myself if I have to pay slightly more in taxes instead of just saying how much I <3 our troops.
Xeno

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Closed due to politics.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to General