Japanese candy

Talk about anything in here.

Japanese candy

Postby Anirac » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:12 pm

With Halloween approaching, don't you sometimes wish you could get some Japanese candy? So in this thread we'll talk about your favourite candy. If you love a candy just because of the way it looks, it still counts!

If I were to go trick-or-treating, I would love to get Koara no Machi, Pocky, Melona, Honey Twists (I know the last two are Korean). Oh, and Ramune :P And ALL flavours of KitKat!
Anirac

Re: Japanese candy

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Ummm... Pocky was always kinda lame to me, until I like... ate a whole box out of boredom, and I'm not really into mochi, but I know I like some Japanese sweets and stuff :)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Exlon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:41 pm

I adore mochi. But that's not really candy, more of a treat or dessert. I love Hi-Chews (actually, I'm not sure that's even Japanese) though. Especially mango. I might buy a 10-pack bulk thing on Amazon of it. xD
Exlon

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:22 pm

I don't understand the people at anime conventions who are all "OMG POCKY I NEED POCKY" and will pay ten dollars for a box. Like, it's not terrible, it's alright, but they act like it's the greatest thing on the planet and buy it for 10 times the price you can get it in the store.

It has to be some sort of attempt to look like they're the biggest anime fan or something, some sort of superiority ritual. Like, they have to know Pocky isn't that great but they have to pretend like it's incredibly awesome so they can go "Oh you don't like Pocky, you are literally a terrible anime fan and I'm better than you" type of insulting and belittling others to make themselves feel better, just an attempt to create meaning in their sad pathetic lives.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Exlon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Nate wrote:I don't understand the people at anime conventions who are all "OMG POCKY I NEED POCKY" and will pay ten dollars for a box. Like, it's not terrible, it's alright, but they act like it's the greatest thing on the planet and buy it for 10 times the price you can get it in the store.

It has to be some sort of attempt to look like they're the biggest anime fan or something, some sort of superiority ritual. Like, they have to know Pocky isn't that great but they have to pretend like it's incredibly awesome so they can go "Oh you don't like Pocky, you are literally a terrible anime fan and I'm better than you" type of insulting and belittling others to make themselves feel better, just an attempt to create meaning in their sad pathetic lives.

I grew up in Hong Kong & China, so...eating Pocky is eating food from my childhood for me. I've just always liked it xD For everyone else, I dunno. Btw, it costs like a little over a dollar at Walmart or something for a small box of the regular kind. I'm mad at F.Y.E. for selling the fancy kind (coconut, almond) for like, $7 a box. I suggest Five Below, it's more like $2.60 for the same thing.

AFTERTHOUGHT:
Obviously, I have no life.
Exlon

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:15 pm

I'm all about that Almond Pepero, Strawberry Hello Pandas, and Peach or Melon Kasugai Gummies.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Exlon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I'm all about that Almond Pepero, Strawberry Hello Pandas, and Peach or Melon Kasugai Gummies.

OH MY WORD NO, POCKY. Also, Hello Pandas are totally a ripoff of Koala March. Just sayin'. But yes, peach kasugai (they're my brother's favorite).
Exlon

Postby Nate » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Exlon wrote:Btw, it costs like a little over a dollar at Walmart or something for a small box of the regular kind.

Oh yeah there's Pocky at the Wal-Mart here and it's like 89 cents, maybe over a dollar by now since I haven't checked the price in a few years. All they have is chocolate and strawberry, and it's the super cheap kind for sure, but like I said, anime conventions will charge at least five times that in the dealer's room and stupid people will pay it.

But yeah I've seen some really high quality stuff (like chocolate mousse) at a few places, not at Wal-Mart, but a few specialty shops. It was like 3 bucks last time I saw some, which is a pretty decent price...still a little more than it's probably worth, but not ridiculously so.

Yeah Hi Chew is great though, and Hello Pandas are pretty alright. I would like Yan Yans a lot more if they came with a bit more icing.

Nate

Postby Sheenar » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm

I miss being able to eat Pocky (darn food allergies).

But I enjoy Hi-Chew. A few of my local grocery stores sell it in the "ethnic foods" section of the store.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Anirac » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:21 pm

Exlon wrote:I adore mochi. But that's not really candy, more of a treat or dessert. I love Hi-Chews (actually, I'm not sure that's even Japanese) though. Especially mango. I might buy a 10-pack bulk thing on Amazon of it. xD

YES! HI-CHEW! But not mango >.< melon for me please o/ oh and you mentioning mochi reminded me of manju O.O now I'm craving some. I wonder if I could make them myself...

Nate wrote:I don't understand the people at anime conventions who are all "OMG POCKY I NEED POCKY" and will pay ten dollars for a box. Like, it's not terrible, it's alright, but they act like it's the greatest thing on the planet and buy it for 10 times the price you can get it in the store.

I share those feelings :P the few cons I attended I saw the same reaction towards Koara no Machi. It's irritating, but I just pity them. With that kind of expense, Pocky will be the closest they might ever get to Japan...
Anirac

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Meltykiss.
ClosetOtaku

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:00 am

I...I like Pocky...
Granted, I completely understand where Nate is coming from. I went to a con last weekend and saw Pocky for sale. I was like "Ooh, Pocky!" And then I saw the price and was like "Hahahano". Pocky is nice, but it's literally just a variation of chocolate covered pretzels. So I don't care if it's from Japan, I'm not paying more than I would for chocolate covered pretzels. That said, that evening I went to a Japanese grocery store and bought some at a decent price. But yeah...I was introduced to Pocky in Japan, just for the sake of eating Pocky. I didn't realize it was an anime trademark until just recently.

Other than that...hm, I can't think of any sort of Japanese candy I've ever eaten. Does dango count? I like dango.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Nate » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:27 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Pocky is nice, but it's literally just a variation of chocolate covered pretzels.

Actually normal pocky is a biscuit/cookie. If you're looking for pretzel sticks, then you want Men's Pocky.

Nate

Postby Exlon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Nate wrote:
ClaecElric4God wrote:Pocky is nice, but it's literally just a variation of chocolate covered pretzels.

Actually normal pocky is a biscuit/cookie. If you're looking for pretzel sticks, then you want Men's Pocky.

I laughed when I first saw this in a store.

Exlon

Postby LastLfan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:13 pm

I might end up babbling here, but if y'all don't mind I have a couple stories about not just candy but Asian snack foods in general. We don't have much around here, but we do have pocky, botan rice candy(best stuff ever) and hello panda cookies. I picked them up in the store one time and my 4 year old brother thought they were so cool, so we now buy him a box whenever we go to target. When my high school went to northern Virginia we stopped by an H-Mart, which is an Asian grocery store. My whole high school is 15 people so we all kinda paired off and looked around. Me and my friend had a mission, we found fried chicken chip things, Korean spicy bugles(which I now love) hi-chew peach, lemonade gummies, Raman snacks bites, nori crisps(bbq flavor) and I got koala March cookies as a treat for my brother. I have this weird thing about always trying new soda, so I found this weird soda where you smack a marble into it(you can get it at five below) rice punch, and this crazy thing called sac-sac, the grape was okay, but the Orange is literally like drinking a mandarin orange cup, it's incredible. So that's my little story, long story short, foreign snacks just make me smile.
LastLfan

Postby Exlon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Heeeeey I love H-Mart! Haven't been near one in forever though. And that soda is called Ramune. Strawberry's the bomb.
Exlon

Postby LastLfan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:09 am

Melon's my favorite :) glad someone else knows what it is :)
LastLfan

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:21 am

Nate wrote:

Men's Pocky, eh? Will it help accentuate my manliness? Will it give me muscles? Will it help me grow a beard? A co-worker told me I need to grow a beard last night...
Also, yes, Pocky = biscuit. Hence the usage of the word "variation". *a.k.a. sarcasm*
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby IPv4 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:23 am

Men's pocky make you violent and angry!!
IPv4

Postby LastLfan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:24 pm

I found out that where we're vacationing had like 4 h-marts within an hour of it. I'm stoked for all that stuff
LastLfan

Postby Exlon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:57 pm

LastLfan wrote:I found out that where we're vacationing had like 4 h-marts within an hour of it. I'm stoked for all that stuff

Get mochi. It's in the refrigerated snacks section. With the cute little coffee roll cakes.
Exlon

Postby LastLfan » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks, sounds good :)
LastLfan

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:17 pm

LastLfan wrote:botan rice candy(best stuff ever)

Let me say yes. It's a pity that the stuff we get over here is tiny and you only get a couple of them in a box. I tried some from Japan and they were so much better, and the box was full of bigger pieces.

LastLfan wrote:this weird soda where you smack a marble into it(you can get it at five below)

I've tried a few different flavors of it, but the original is basically Sprite. Once you get past the novelty of MARBLE POP, it's nothing special (and the marble makes it a pain to drink).
Ante Bellum

Postby LastLfan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Huzzah my Walmart now has hi-chew and roasted seaweed. Life is good
LastLfan

Postby Exlon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:36 am

Ante Bellum wrote:
I've tried a few different flavors of it, but the original is basically Sprite. Once you get past the novelty of MARBLE POP, it's nothing special (and the marble makes it a pain to drink).

I vote strawberry. It's pretty amazing.
Exlon

Postby Sundown » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:59 pm

All I've tried is Pocky, Hello Pandas, and this rice candy with a cat on the packaging. They were alright, but not something I absolutely have to buy.
(Kopiko and chocolate, on the other hand...)
Exlon wrote:
Nate wrote:

I didn't even know that was a thing.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby Exlon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:51 am

Sundown wrote:All I've tried is Pocky, Hello Pandas, and this rice candy with a cat on the packaging. They were alright, but not something I absolutely have to buy.
Exlon wrote:

I didn't even know that was a thing.

I think there was this old stereotype that guys weren't supposed to like sweets because it wasn't manly. But that's all I gathered from various anime and manga, so what do I know? xD
Exlon

Postby LastLfan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:55 am

Sundown wrote:All I've tried is Pocky, Hello Pandas, and this rice candy with a cat on the packaging. They were alright, but not something I absolutely have to buy.

The rice candy is called botan rice candy, I'd definitely say it's pretty good. That little citrus flavor is really awesome, but subtle. Plus it comes with a sticker
LastLfan

Postby Sheenar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:32 pm

How could I forget about botan rice candy? That stuff is fantastic!
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Psycho Molos » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Rice candy sounds nasty and an oxymoron, kinda. Rice is nutritious and candy is sweet
Psycho Molos

Next

Return to General