Would you "cosplay" outside of a con?

Talk about anything in here.

Would you "cosplay" outside of a con?

Postby Anirac » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:37 pm

By "cosplay" I mean dress similarly, yet not identically to your favourite character, or even just adopting a more anime-ish style. For example: Kogal and Lolita styles. I know not all fashionistas are otakus, and that more often than not it is reality that influences fiction, but we'll adopt the western point of view, in which fiction influences reality.

So, do you have a different style? Was it inspired by anime? Tell us more about it!

I do have a different style, and it was inspired by anime; it began with the schoolgirl fashion, and then went towards Lolita, and now I'm trying to shift it to its aristocratic subgenre. I've always liked how clothes are a part of a character's personality! One day I thought "hey, why can't I dress like them? I, too, can show some of my own personality through my clothing!" and it began. First change was my hair, going from hip-length to like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yCF0JvQu0mM/T ... t+hair.jpg and now growing back to be hip-length (currently it's just below my shoulders). I adorn it with a fabric rose or a satin ribbon. Then my pants became pleated knee-length skirts, my t-shirts became frilly, lacy tops. Now I'm sobering up, lengthening my dresses and dimming the bright colours, getting rid of the clutter of accessories. My husband is a minimalist and I was introduced to his lifestyle... now I'm addicted :P it's hard to keep up that style during summer though; I often find myself going back to Kogal or going boho during summer days!
Anirac

Re: Would you "cosplay" outside of a con?

Postby Xeno » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:48 pm

No, I don't even cosplay at cons. I don't even attend cons. I don't dress myself based on cartoon trends.
But whatever floats your boat.
Xeno

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Personally... I'm not actually much of a cosplayer myself, so you likely wouldn't see me at a con cosplaying much less real life :/

But I think some cosplays are crazy fantastic sometimes.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Exlon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:08 pm

I did legit cosplay outside of a con a couple times as Rhyme from The World Ends With You (more to surprise one of my friends). I'm so proud of how it came out. I wore leggings 'cause it was cold outside, and I had to substitute the overalls with just shorts. But still.

once went to my classes with the wig, contacts, and beanie as a joke (I wore my own clothes that time). I had my friend believing all day long that I had cut and bleached my hair.

For general dressing, I can't afford the kinds of things I would normally like to wear, but I have this leather hoodie vest which I like to wear with black jeans and combat boots. Oh, and wristbands. It feels video game-y.
Exlon

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Exlon wrote:I did legit cosplay outside of a con a couple times as Rhyme from The World Ends With You (more to surprise one of my friends). I'm so proud of how it came out. I wore leggings 'cause it was cold outside, and I had to substitute the overalls with just shorts. But still.

For general dressing, I can't afford the kinds of things I would normally like to wear, but I have this leather hoodie vest which I like to wear with black jeans and combat boots. Oh, and wristbands. It feels video game-y.

Ha ha, I thought you dressed up as Rhyme before I realized you said that. Nice :)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Anirac » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Exlon wrote:I did legit cosplay outside of a con a couple times as Rhyme from The World Ends With You (more to surprise one of my friends). I'm so proud of how it came out. I wore leggings 'cause it was cold outside, and I had to substitute the overalls with just shorts. But still.

once went to my classes with the wig, contacts, and beanie as a joke (I wore my own clothes that time). I had my friend believing all day long that I had cut and bleached my hair.

You look lovely! If you hadn't told me it was from an anime, I would've thought you're stylish like that on a daily basis ^^
Anirac

Postby Exlon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:35 pm

Anirac wrote:You look lovely! If you hadn't told me it was from an anime, I would've thought you're stylish like that on a daily basis ^^

Aww, thank you! It's actually a video game though, haha. :P

I did a brighter orange than what she wears, because the art style of the game has all the colors kind of washed out. If my normal skin tone could get away with such a bright orange, I would wear that sweatshirt more, hahaha. Alas, without facial makeup, I look awful in orange.

I do wear the hat sometimes though! But it kinda slides off my head without the wig, haha.

This is the character (sorry the picture is so huge, everything on Google keeps turning out bigger than I expect):

Exlon

Postby Anirac » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Exlon wrote:
Anirac wrote:You look lovely! If you hadn't told me it was from an anime, I would've thought you're stylish like that on a daily basis ^^

Aww, thank you! It's actually a video game though, haha. :P

I did a brighter orange than what she wears, because the art style of the game has all the colors kind of washed out. If my normal skin tone could get away with such a bright orange, I would wear that sweatshirt more, hahaha. Alas, without facial makeup, I look awful in orange.

I do wear the hat sometimes though! But it kinda slides off my head without the wig, haha.

This is the character (sorry the picture is so huge, everything on Google keeps turning out bigger than I expect):

...and you can see how ditzy I am XD didn't even search for the name!

I share your feelings towards orange! I have a finicky skin tone too, I can't wear a pretty colour without it overwhelming me.

Don't you love when you can re-use parts of a cosplay on your normal wardrobe? ^^
Anirac

Postby Exlon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Anirac wrote:I share your feelings towards orange! I have a finicky skin tone too, I can't wear a pretty colour without it overwhelming me.

Don't you love when you can re-use parts of a cosplay on your normal wardrobe? ^^

Thankfully, I didn't spend $30+ to buy a pair of white overalls to make the outfit perfect. XD Getting everything else (hat, custom pin, sweatshirt, spray paint, cardstock paper to make the stencil FOR the spray paint, double-sided tape to make the stencil stick well, contacts, wig...) already added up to something like $80, so I was like "No." I'm definitely not pulling this cosplay stuff often. xD I desperately want to do a Kingdom Hearts cosplay of some sort at least once someday.
Exlon

Postby Anirac » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Exlon wrote:
Anirac wrote:I share your feelings towards orange! I have a finicky skin tone too, I can't wear a pretty colour without it overwhelming me.

Thankfully, I didn't spend $30+ to buy a pair of white overalls to make the outfit perfect. XD Getting everything else (hat, custom pin, sweatshirt, spray paint, cardstock paper to make the stencil FOR the spray paint, double-sided tape to make the stencil stick well, contacts, wig...) already added up to something like $80, so I was like "No." I'm definitely not pulling this cosplay stuff often. xD I desperately want to do a Kingdom Hearts cosplay of some sort at least once someday.

And my ditzyness still shows O.O you made that sweater? That's awesome! I would love to see how the Kingdom Hearts cosplay would turn out!
Anirac

Postby Exlon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Anirac wrote:And my ditzyness still shows O.O you made that sweater? That's awesome! I would love to see how the Kingdom Hearts cosplay would turn out!

I didn't like any of the pre-made cosplays you could buy online. They were all really cheap-looking and inadequate, and not even necessarily accurate. So I bought a sweatshirt and a can of spray paint. xD My friend helped me, I didn't trust my hand to be steady. I don't think I could actually make a Kingdom Hearts cosplay though. Those are outfits I can't just buy and modify, I'd actually have to have sewing and clothes-making skills...I'd likely just end up spending hours searching for the best outfit I could, and getting that

Example (Kairi's outfit in the second game):
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011 ... iriKH2.png

No way am I going to make that with a random dress and a can of spray paint. xD
Exlon

Postby Anirac » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Exlon wrote:
Anirac wrote:And my ditzyness still shows O.O you made that sweater? That's awesome! I would love to see how the Kingdom Hearts cosplay would turn out!

I didn't like any of the pre-made cosplays you could buy online. They were all really cheap-looking and inadequate, and not even necessarily accurate. So I bought a sweatshirt and a can of spray paint. xD My friend helped me, I didn't trust my hand to be steady. I don't think I could actually make a Kingdom Hearts cosplay though. Those are outfits I can't just buy and modify, I'd actually have to have sewing and clothes-making skills...I'd likely just end up spending hours searching for the best outfit I could, and getting that

Example (Kairi's outfit in the second game):
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011 ... iriKH2.png

No way am I going to make that with a random dress and a can of spray paint. xD

Hmm sewing is one awesome skill to have! If you have the time, I encourage you to learn! I don't have it myself, in fact, I've been procrastinating it for quite a while now, but would love to be able to sew my own clothing.

Now, if there is anyone who knows how to sew, please correct what I am about to say. I'm a newb and I'm just guessing:

Her dress is made of two pieces: a lacy white top (undershirt, kind of) and the pink dress. The lacy top can be found anywhere, I've seen tons at Walmart. Thinner straps, but you can hide them with your hair :P or you can even substitute them yourself! I've done it and by hand (the stitches look awful, but they are inside. And they survived the washing machine!). The shoes could be converse-style shoes with the laces removed. In Canada we have Ardene, they sell shoes for 5$; it shouldn't be too hard to find something in the US. Now for the pink dress. If you look closely, it looks like it is made of 3 pieces of fabric connected by zippers; you have two narrow pieces in the front and a third piece that covers the entire back. Measurements, shapes, hemming and attaching a zipper shouldn't be lessons that would take too long to learn, I think! There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. Besides, learning is never a waste. Oh I just noticed she has a hood. I don't know how hard it is to make a hood...

Just found this http://urika.deviantart.com/art/Kairi-C ... -158186208 and this http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f357/ ... idress.jpg
I encourage you to learn sewing! If you don't make the white top attached to the pink dress, you can easily wear those as part of your normal wardrobe, even the hooded top!
Anirac

Postby LastLfan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:20 pm

To be the guy to jump in here, I'm working on a kirito cosplay for a con, but actually my school does a reading day where you can dress as any character as long as the book came first, technically the sword art online books were first, not in English but still, so I'll be running around school with my elucidator XD. Beyond that though I wear things related to anime, like my survey corps shirt from attack on Titan, but not specifically as cosplay.
LastLfan

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:27 am

LastLfan wrote:To be the guy to jump in here, I'm working on a kirito cosplay for a con, but actually my school does a reading day where you can dress as any character as long as the book came first, technically the sword art online books were first, not in English but still, so I'll be running around school with my elucidator XD.

*gasp* You must take pictures and show us, L. I demand it.
Also, I would be unlikely to cosplay at a con, let alone outside one. But I did get a Karasuno volleyball shirt at AWA that I wear a bit, so I guess that counts? Not? I dunno.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Anirac » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:04 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:
LastLfan wrote:To be the guy to jump in here, I'm working on a kirito cosplay for a con, but actually my school does a reading day where you can dress as any character as long as the book came first, technically the sword art online books were first, not in English but still, so I'll be running around school with my elucidator XD.

Also, I would be unlikely to cosplay at a con, let alone outside one. But I did get a Karasuno volleyball shirt at AWA that I wear a bit, so I guess that counts? Not? I dunno.

I second the picture request :D

I'm not going to be an elitist and say it does not count, since T-shirts are a simple but effective way of making a statement. My brother has several statement t-shirts and I love them. So yes, it counts!
Anirac

Postby Exlon » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Random--I'm trying to custom order a hoodie vest that's Riku-themed because I am a crazy, crazy fan girl.

I would marry him in real life, shh.
Exlon

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:06 am

RHYME <3 You look super cute~

Anirac wrote:
ClaecElric4God wrote:

I third picture requests

Exlon wrote:Random--I'm trying to custom order a hoodie vest that's Riku-themed because I am a crazy, crazy fan girl.

I would marry him in real life, shh.

You and me should be best friends :3
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:37 am

I actually have noticed a change in my clothing style since I've started watching anime. Like, my clothes have gotten a little frillier at times. Sometimes I've even adapted a certain characters clothes or style to myself. I'd love to try lolita clothes (if they weren't so expensive) and if I were able to, I might would cosplay outside of a con mostly just to mess with people. I can just imagine the weird looks people would give. lol. X)

Panda4christ:3 wrote:
Anirac wrote:
ClaecElric4God wrote:*gasp* You must take pictures and show us, L. I demand it.

I third picture requests

Fourthing!
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:39 am

double post of doom

Anyway, LOVE that costume! And I don't even know the game.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Crossfire » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:11 pm

Not much of a 'cosplayer' myself, though if I found some sweet Quattro-esque shades I'd totally rock them along with a red jacket.
Crossfire

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:21 pm

I would love to cosplay in public!
Once I watch more anime. And my parents stop thinking that it's demonic.
artisticDreamer

Postby Nate » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:04 pm

I did cosplay twice.

I probably won't do it again.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:25 pm

artisticDreamer wrote:I would love to cosplay in public!
Once I watch more anime. And my parents stop thinking that it's demonic.

That last sentence totally sounds like my dad... xD
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:15 pm

I would, simply because I think its fun. Besides, looks no different than some of the weird fashions coming to light. So really, I'd just fit right in XD
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:12 am

Wolfsong wrote:I would, simply because I think its fun. Besides, looks no different than some of the weird fashions coming to light. So really, I'd just fit right in XD

True. X)

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby EventualDay » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:22 pm

I really like wearing things where you have to really know the show to realize it's part cosplay. Makes me feel like I'm part of a secret club ^_^ Jewelry is pretty easy to be subtle about. And I've always had a hidden love for punk-ish clothes, so anything that looks a little Lolita/visual kei/etc. makes me feel fuzzy inside.
EventualDay

Postby mdmrn » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:47 am

I have cosplayed once as Lupin III at a convention. Outside of a con? Most likely not. Unless my work attire looks like a character randomly...
MDMRN
Christian -- Dad -- Husband -- Engineer -- Conservative -- Beard Aficionado -- General Dork
mdmrn

Postby ashfire » Sun May 24, 2015 6:26 pm

I cosplayed at a one day comic book show for the people that organized the show for local artist and dealers at a Japanese culture center. I was also there as a on site medic. The center is a large place and the people use it for Japanese drum practice and training. The group has been at different cons and the Washington DC parades.
ashfire

Postby Anirac » Tue May 26, 2015 9:33 am

ashfire wrote:I cosplayed at a one day comic book show for the people that organized the show for local artist and dealers at a Japanese culture center. I was also there as a on site medic. The center is a large place and the people use it for Japanese drum practice and training. The group has been at different cons and the Washington DC parades.

Wait, a cosplaying medic? I'd fake being hurt or ill just so I could be seen by you XD What was your cosplay?
Anirac

Postby ashfire » Tue May 26, 2015 5:52 pm

I cosplay as a Japanese Rescue Firefighter. I even have a Japanese Emergency Medical Uniform. I have a friend in the Tokyo Fire Service who sent me one of his EMS uniforms with rank badge and hat. He has sent me booklets and patches for the different rescue operations and from that I made a rescue uniform, hats and other items I have used. I emailed him when I found his name and info in a Fire Buff book. Back then he was a Sgt. and now he is a Battalion Chief. I keep up with him on Facebook now. We send things back and forth in the mail.
ashfire

Next

Return to General