favorite christian movie?

Talk about anything in here.

favorite christian movie?

Postby Anisha93 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 am

Hi again!!
I was wondering if anyone has a favorite christian movie? I love them as they are simple and so full of love for God...
I have watched letters to God, Courageous, the grace card, Gods not dead, heaven is for real, :cool: To save a life, october baby, Fireproof etc.
So what do you guys have favorite?
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Re: favorite christian movie?

Postby Xeno » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:18 pm

I've heard that God's Not Dead is an amazing accidental-satire on the present-day-state of evangelical theology in the United States, so I'd probably enjoy that. Also, Noah was pretty neat.
Xeno

Postby Nate » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Xeno wrote:God's Not Dead

Man you'd think since his mom was a goddess Hercules wouldn't really be too into Christian theology.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Furen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 pm

I like most of those movies, I know lots of people here think it's super cheesy, but I like Flywheel, Facing the Giants (That one's fantastic), Fireproof, Courageous (which happened just around the time my church started doing Men's ministry really well, so that's good)

God's Not Dead was fun to watch too :)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sundown » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:42 pm

I haven't seen most Christian movies (I know, I know, what kind of a Christian am I) but the first one that comes to mind is The Prince of Egypt.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby Vii » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm not overly fond of Christian movies, but I think the one I've enjoyed the most was Facing the Giants.
I've also seen Flywheel, Fireproof, October Baby, and Courageous.
Vii

Postby Lynna » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Nope.

Ok, actually, if my memory serves me well, Soul Surfer was quite good. And there was this other one called...Faith Like Potatoes, was it? But those were both biographical.

I can't say much for the rest, though. I'm awfully cynical about all of them. Some I liked at first, but afterwards realised that it wasn't that great. To Save A Life, for example. I liked that they actually tried to give the characters a bit of personality, and actually have a plot, but they tried to address every single teen issue out there and in the end it was a clichéd mess. Sorry, I kean, it's probably one of the better ones out there, but that's compared to other Christian films, not the best movies out there.
Ooooh, that's right, Prince of Egypt was truly fantastic.
Either way, Christian film makers really need to step it up. I understand that making faith-based art is hard, but I tend to lean more towards the opinion that if you can't do it well, don't.
I admit that I'm not much of a movie person in general, but I am not much more forgiving of Christian fiction, so...
Last edited by Lynna on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Nate » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Oh yeah Prince of Egypt is legitimately good even if you're not religious.

Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Prince of egypt, 100% no doubts. I wasn't even going to post because I couldn't think of a title at first glance. Its better in some ways thean the Heston 10 Commandments and I can guarantee it'll be better than the Christian Bale headed monstrosity of Exodus Gods and Kings.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby firestorm » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Prince of egypt, 100% no doubts. I wasn't even going to post because I couldn't think of a title at first glance. Its better in some ways thean the Heston 10 Commandments and I can guarantee it'll be better than the Christian Bale headed monstrosity of Exodus Gods and Kings.

I have to re-watch it I haven't seen it for a long time.
I would have to say God's not Dead. Also one that's entertaining, though a bit corny is "The Lost Medallion: The Adventures of Billy Stone." It's like a kid's adventure movie.
firestorm

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Kaori » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Uh . . .

. . .

. . .

Romero? Beyond the Gates of Splendor? And I guess The End of the Spear deserves honorable mention. These are not simple, but they are about people who loved God enough to give their lives for him.

I guess since no one else has mentioned it and it is sort of obscure, I'll make a mention also of the 2003 Czech film Most, aka The Bridge. I myself was not all that impacted by it, but to a lot of the other people in the room who watched this movie with me, it was very powerful, so some of you all might get a lot out of it. (And it's only about 30 minutes long.)

Other than a few clips here and there from Prince of Egypt, I have not seen any of the other movies listed in this thread so far. Generally speaking, I don't watch Christian films (or very many films, period).

I haven't seen most Christian movies (I know, I know, what kind of a Christian am I)

I'm pretty sure that what kind of Christian you are is not dependent upon how many Christian films you watch. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for Christians to not watch Christian movies, like "They're cheesy" or "The commercialization of Christianity rubs me the wrong way" or "I don't watch movies."
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Anisha93 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:50 am

I haven't seen prince of eygpt... I will give it try
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 am

The LOTR and the Narnia movies. Those count, right?

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Anisha93 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:40 am

I don't know about LOTR but yes, according to wikipedia, narnia production was by sherwood, sherwood direct and produce christian movies

Anisha93

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:08 pm

Kaori wrote:I have not seen any of the other movies listed in this thread so far.

Don't watch God's Not Dead unless you want to destroy any fond memories you may have of Kevin Sorbo and...well, I can't imagine anyone has fond memories of Dean Cain.

Or unless you plan to riff it Mystery Science Theater style.

Nate

Postby Sundown » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Kaori wrote:
I haven't seen most Christian movies (I know, I know, what kind of a Christian am I)

I'm pretty sure that what kind of Christian you are is not dependent upon how many Christian films you watch. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for Christians to not watch Christian movies, like "They're cheesy" or "The commercialization of Christianity rubs me the wrong way" or "I don't watch movies."

That was a failed attempt at sarcasm, I didn't intend to imply that faith is dependent on what Christian media you (general you, here) do or don't watch. Sorry that it came off that way. :hits_self The reasons you listed are primarily why I rarely find interest in non-documentation Christian films.

Another one I forgot to list was the Veggiestales adaption of Jonah. The ending song is still one of my favorites to this day.

Speaking of movies, has anyone seen October Baby? One of my bible study textbooks both mentioned and recommended it, although I have yet to get my hands on a copy of it.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby Kaori » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Nate wrote:Don't watch God's Not Dead

Wasn't planning on it. :)

Sundown wrote:That was a failed attempt at sarcasm, I didn't intend to imply that faith is dependent on what Christian media you (general you, here) do or don't watch. Sorry that it came off that way.

For my part, I recently lived for six years in a country that doesn't have sarcasm, so my skill in detecting it (esp. in text-only situations like the internet) has atrophied a bit, and thus we had the stage wonderfully set for meaningful dialogue.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Furen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Sundown wrote:Another one I forgot to list was the Veggiestales adaption of Jonah. The ending song is still one of my favorites to this day.

Speaking of movies, has anyone seen October Baby? One of my bible study textbooks both mentioned and recommended it, although I have yet to get my hands on a copy of it.

Oh, I didn't even think of the cartoon stuff, Jonah was fantastic. I also like the series as a whole, or Bill Vischer's new stuff, "What's in the Bible?"

Also, I know my family has watched October Baby (I haven't yet) but my sisters like it (Mind you, they like everything...)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Anisha93 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Furen wrote:
Also, I know my family has watched October Baby (I haven't yet) but my sisters like it (Mind you, they like everything...)

Your sisters like everything? that sounds kinda sweet.

Anisha93

Postby Peanut » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:08 pm

Prince of Egypt is great. I enjoyed The Book of Eli mostly for being a post-apocalyptic retelling of the story of Elijah. My absolute favorite though has to be The Mission. Its an absolutely fantastic movie that deals both with 18th century Imperialism and Liberation Theology.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:26 am

For myself it would probably be The Boss Up There.

Based on the true life story of a Hong Kong delinquent-turned-gangster-turned-Christian.

One reason I like the movie is because there is no 'happy ending', although the female lead is able to stay off drugs, it shows that her actions landed her in jail, and her boyfriend's actions causes him to end up in a wheelchair.

What it does show also is that they are able to build a life together despite these setbacks, and you get a sense of hope towards the end of the film.
Sammy Boy

Postby Vii » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:55 am

Oooh, I forgot about Prince of Egypt. Really great movie.
Also forgot about Narnia. I did like Narnia.
Vii

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:24 pm

Didn't know that The Book of Eli was a "Christian movie". If it is, I guess that's my favorite. Generally I don't like Christian movies. I feel that they misrepresent certain groups of people, are idealistic, and typically have bad acting and production. If other people enjoy them, that's cool, but they're just not for me.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby drexawn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Favorite Christian movie, since it was mentioned I'd say the Narnia series (the new ones), also God's Not Dead and Courageous were awesome too. Lastly since our youth group is watching it tonight, I'll throw out there, The Secrets of Jonathen Speary.
drexawn

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:42 pm

Holy Ghost was fantastic and one of my favourites.
(Made by a producer who doesn't even like Christian movies, or documentaries.)
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:19 pm

I'm gonna go with the 1998 (non-musical) version of Les Miserables, with Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean and Geoffery Rush as Javert. While not as faithful to the book as the technically inferior musical, it plays up allegorical connections between God, humanity, the law, and grace, and their relationship to each other, and does that more than what is brought out in the book.

Speaking of movies based on Victor Hugo novels, Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Hem and haw about the antagonist being a priest (I won't) and the tone-killing gargoyles (I will), "God Help the Outcasts" is a great song.
Davidizer13

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:53 pm

The Blues Brothers.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Nate » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:07 pm

I almost forgot to mention Godzilla is my favorite Christian movie of all time.

Nate

Postby Anisha93 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:56 pm

Nate wrote:I almost forgot to mention Godzilla is my favorite Christian movie of all time.

Godzilla? seriously? is that even a christian movie? :eyebrow:

Anisha93

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Godzilla is the greatest Christian movie of all time.

Nate

Next

Return to General