favorite christian movie?

Talk about anything in here.

Re: favorite christian movie?

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:42 pm

Anisha93 wrote:Your sisters like everything? that sounds kinda sweet.

They do, and yeah it is :)

Nate Nate Nate... come on... Godzilla :shake:
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:22 pm

Godzilla is clearly a representation of Satan, and the "God" in his name is a reference to how Satan will sometimes disguise himself as an angel of light and pretend he is God. Though of course, in Japanese, his name is Gojira, a portmanteau of "gorilla" and "whale" which is a representation of Satan's lies that life evolved from ocean dwelling creatures and humans evolved from apes.

He destroys human society and condemns everyone to death until Daisuke Serizawa (clearly meant to represent Jesus) comes up with a plan to defeat Godzilla. However, he is betrayed by Emiko Yamane (who represents Judas) to Hideto Ogata (the Roman government) who attacks Serizawa.

In the end, Serizawa sacrifices himself to defeat Godzilla, much in the same way as Jesus sacrificed himself to defeat Satan.

So as you can see, Godzilla is the greatest Christian movie ever made.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Anisha93 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:11 am

Wow...is it okay if I call you nate?
Wow...I never thought of Godzilla that way.....So its a scifi kind of christian movie?
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Postby Furen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:21 am

Anisha93 wrote:So its a scifi kind of christian movie?

Don't feed the Nate.

Anyone watch Hardflip? That one was fun, To Save A Life was better, because of the breaking the ice scene.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Anisha93 wrote:Wow...is it okay if I call you nate?

Well that's my name, so yes.
Furen wrote:Don't feed the Nate.

But I'm hungry!

Nate

Postby Sheenar » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:09 pm

To Save a Life was a good one --I volunteered with a youth group when it came out and we took them to the theater to see it --and they all said it was really good and gave them stuff to think about.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:38 am

The two best Christian movies are definitely Ghandi and Children of Men. Absolutely. Fantastic fantastic fantastic stories.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby LastLfan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm not huge into realistic fiction, so although I did enjoy God's not dead and courageous, not my favorite genre. However, and really shocked this hasn't been mentioned much, left behind, sure kinda cheesy but the first one wasn't bad, the reboot actually might be okay. However i do want to see "when the game stand tall" cause it has the guy from person interest...also he was Jesus in passion of the Christ...interesting career.
LastLfan

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:28 pm

I still cannot wrap my head around why people enjoy God's Not Dead. Critical thinking, folks. Like horrible theology and "apologetics" aside, it paints everyone who isn't a Christian in such a horrible and negative light. Like seriously?
LastLfan wrote:However, and really shocked this hasn't been mentioned much, left behind, sure kinda cheesy but the first one wasn't bad, the reboot actually might be okay.

This series needs to go in the gutter.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:00 am

The reboot looks abysmal. It's drawing from pretty horrendous writing to start with and as for the actual critical reception... Smartypants got the right picture there.

"Left Behind" is being marketed as Christian entertainment, but it does not qualify in either category.

This may be my favorite quote so far, and it's from a reviewer on Beliefnet.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby LastLfan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:11 am

See this, this is why I shouldn't have trusted cage.
LastLfan

Postby Anisha93 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:32 am

Furen wrote:
Anisha93 wrote:So its a scifi kind of christian movie?

Don't feed the Nate.

Anyone watch Hardflip?

But he has got a point hasn't he.? I mean it was quite a nice interpretation...and no, I am sure I am not feeding nate...am I?

What's hardflip bout?
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Postby Nate » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:43 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I still cannot wrap my head around why people enjoy God's Not Dead. Critical thinking, folks. Like horrible theology and "apologetics" aside, it paints everyone who isn't a Christian in such a horrible and negative light. Like seriously?

Wait you mean to tell me that not every Chinese person is a godless Communist? And Muslims actually regard Jesus as the last great prophet instead of hating him, and not every Muslim beats their children for converting to Christianity? And some atheists aren't smug elitists?

Do you really think that the people who made God's Not Dead would do that? Purposely lie about non-Christians purely to appeal to evangelicals' feelings of superiority in an attempt to make money? Why Ryan, I thought better of you. Then again, you are Korean, and that's pretty close to China, so clearly you are a godless Communist, like God's Not Dead has taught me.

mechana2015 wrote:The reboot looks abysmal. It's drawing from pretty horrendous writing to start with and as for the actual critical reception... Smartypants got the right picture there.

Look all I know is it has Nicolas Cage in it, and so it's gotta be worth seeing just for him alone. I want to see him act completely crazy. Unless they cast him and then DIDN'T let him act crazy, in which case they are morons for not using Cage to his fullest abilities.

Nate

Postby Psycho Molos » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Sarcastic Nate is sarcastic
Psycho Molos

Postby Nate » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:22 pm

I am sarcastic but God's Not Dead is a horribly offensive and hateful movie and I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone likes it aside from going "Heh, glad I'm not one of those people."

Nate

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Nate wrote:Look all I know is it has Nicolas Cage in it, and so it's gotta be worth seeing just for him alone. I want to see him act completely crazy. Unless they cast him and then DIDN'T let him act crazy, in which case they are morons for not using Cage to his fullest abilities.

From the reviews, it sounds like he didn't have a chance to go full Cage - he apparently got out-acted by a couple no-names, and the movie didn't have the Antichrist role we all want to see him play. (Especially since the LB Antichrist does some really crazy things way further down the line than this film franchise will ever go.)
Davidizer13

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Nate wrote:
mechana2015 wrote:The reboot looks abysmal. It's drawing from pretty horrendous writing to start with and as for the actual critical reception... Smartypants got the right picture there.

Look all I know is it has Nicolas Cage in it, and so it's gotta be worth seeing just for him alone. I want to see him act completely crazy. Unless they cast him and then DIDN'T let him act crazy, in which case they are morons for not using Cage to his fullest abilities.

Most reviews I've seen including one by the biggest Cage fan I've seen... said it was horribly boring. 'Nobody wants to be here' was the quote for the review, and that Nick just looks depressed and bored most of the movie.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Peanut » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:23 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Most reviews I've seen including one by the biggest Cage fan I've seen... said it was horribly boring. 'Nobody wants to be here' was the quote for the review, and that Nick just looks depressed and bored most of the movie.

I was going to post the ending of Planet of the Apes in response to this. But then I realized it would be somewhat against CAA rules...sigh and there goes my good joke.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:53 pm

Nate wrote:Do you really think that the people who made God's Not Dead would do that? Purposely lie about non-Christians purely to appeal to evangelicals' feelings of superiority in an attempt to make money? Why Ryan, I thought better of you. Then again, you are Korean, and that's pretty close to China, so clearly you are a godless Communist, like God's Not Dead has taught me.

The logical progression here made me laugh. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I still cannot wrap my head around why people enjoy God's Not Dead. Critical thinking, folks. Like horrible theology and "apologetics" aside, it paints everyone who isn't a Christian in such a horrible and negative light. Like seriously?

I really dislike it when we end up alienating the groups we're trying to reach out to! If movies are supposed to be a kind of ministry, then that's a terrible thing to do!
I'm almost tempted to see what it's like for myself anyway...

I wonder what's the highest IMDB rating a Christian movie has ever attained?
Passion of the Christ: 7.1
To Save a Life: 7.2
Courageous: 6.9
Children of Men: 7.9 (Haven't seen it, so I can't comment on it's content or "Christian" status)
Holy Ghost: 8.6!
Any other suggestions?

I know that was a directed exercise.. *ahem*.... but why is there not more excitement about Holy Ghost? Has anyone else seen it?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3747978/
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:46 am

Children of Men is a FANTASTIC film. The cinematography is absolutely fantastic and incorporates a number of long takes, granted there's some editing (like a 4 minute shot is really three shots) but it's nonetheless impressive. Also the story is so darn good and there is some heavy religious allegory without being campy. 10/10 would recommend.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Anisha93 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:58 am

Has anyone watched letters to God? cause that movie was also great. It was quite simple but it quite showed the feelings out.
it seems to be based on a real story.

Anisha93

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Anisha93 wrote:What's hardflip bout?

It's about a skater who eventually chooses to follow God. Again, I know this one is cheesy (same people that did To Save A Life) but I like that stuff, as long as it isn't offensive, like I'm hearing the LB Reboot is from you all here.
Furen

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:46 pm

You're getting them mixed up. The LB reboot is considered boring and dull. God's Not Dead is the one that's offensive.

I mean yeah LB is offensive to a degree too but more in a "This is stupid" way as opposed to God's Not Dead's "Let's make every non-Christian look like the worst people alive."

Though I did learn that Answers in Genesis, a Young Earth Creationist site, said God's Not Dead was bad because it had very unbiblical messages, which was pretty hilarious.

Nate

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Nate wrote:I mean yeah LB is offensive to a degree too but more in a "This is stupid" way as opposed to God's Not Dead's "Let's make every non-Christian look like the worst people alive."

They even made some "Christian" people in that movie look bad, like the main character's girl friend.

I think I need to see this LB movie simply because it sounds poorer than any other movie as of late.
Furen

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Yeah but from what I've heard Left Behind isn't even fun to watch in a bad movie way. It's just boring.

Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:10 pm

This isn't a personal favorite but a couple years ago I had a group of friends absolutely over the moon about Tree of Life, anyone have thoughts or seen that?

As for the new LB movie, I'd also point out that a lot of reviews are noting that it's not even really a bible movie, since a lot of the movie happens on a plane and nothing really of note regarding the religious content happens in the story there. There's very little of the actual even 'christian' content in the movie.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:03 pm

To my disappointment i thought Tree of Life was incredibly pretentious and was all arthousey to be arthousey. I really was expecting to be wowed but only the opposite happened. That being said it received very polarized reviews. Many people lauded it as amazing, many thought it was pretentious. I'm in the ladder category.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby LastLfan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:48 pm

I'll throw out pilgrim's progress cause if nothing else it's just fun, and actually I thought adapted the book well, it's cheesy, but it's fun
LastLfan

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Of all the Sherwood films, I'd have to say I enjoyed Facing the Giants the most, and I'm not entirely sure why, since I think Fireproof and Courageous were both done better. Honestly, I don't think they're as bad as people make them out to be. Flywheel, for example, had quite a bit of cheesiness and bad acting/quality/etc, but the story itself I thought was a good idea.

And just because, I'm gonna say Twice Given and Sheffey. Granted, I haven't watched Sheffey since I was little and don't remember it well, but everyone I know thinks it's fantastic, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
Fun fact: Vic Mignogna plays in Twice Given.

Oooh, a Pilgrim's Progress movie? I must see this. Also, I'm gonna have to look into this Holy Ghost movie. That sounds quite intriguing.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Previous Next

Return to General