favorite christian movie?

Talk about anything in here.

Re: favorite christian movie?

Postby LastLfan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:55 pm

Also Vic Mignogna used to be in the king's players at liberty university, my friend met him...he never lets me live it down, and ya you should look into it Cece, good cheesy alagorical fun
LastLfan

Postby Furen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Also, I'm gonna have to look into this Holy Ghost movie

I thought it looked interesting too, especially with this horrible review of the movie on IMDB (Which is funny, because even for the high rating, this is the only review)

Listed at 2 stars
So GOD actually made this movie, seriously? What kind of a marketing trick is that? Sounds like blasphemy to my (Catholic) ears. Just because HE doesn't interfere with our worldly matters and lets us have our way, we don't automatically have permission to attribute lukewarm and uninspired films like this to HIM, do we?

As it says in the storyline given above: no plan, no script - oh, yes, and no inspiration either.

It's one thing to go on a mission. It's another thing entirely to create a piece of art which is truly meaningful and valuable. This film-maker, it seems, has nothing new or original to say. Somebody should tell him the road to hell is paved with good intentions (assuming he had any).

That comment made me want to see this all the more.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:03 am

Furen wrote:

I thought it looked interesting too, especially with this horrible review of the movie on IMDB (Which is funny, because even for the high rating, this is the only review)

I see five reviews in total...
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Furen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:11 am

Warrior4Christ wrote:I see five reviews in total...

... Well, would you look at that. I looked for the others, but I didn't see them.

I still want to watch it because of that one person's review of it.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Okami » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Furen wrote:
Warrior4Christ wrote:I see five reviews in total...

... Well, would you look at that. I looked for the others, but I didn't see them.

I still want to watch it because of that one person's review of it.

Reviews section has six now.

Also since I haven't contributed to this topic but been awesome at lurking... :sweat: ...My favorite Christian movies are Facing the Giants and The Prince of Egypt!
Okami

Postby Anisha93 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:10 am

Warrior4Christ wrote:
Furen wrote:

Why would it reach 8.2 stars if it has very few review? and do most of ppl want to watch it because of that? that's sad in a way.....
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Anisha93 wrote:
Warrior4Christ wrote:
Furen wrote:I thought it looked interesting too, especially with this horrible review of the movie on IMDB (Which is funny, because even for the high rating, this is the only review)

Why would it reach 8.2 stars if it has very few review? and do most of ppl want to watch it because of that? that's sad in a way.....

It's actually 8.7 stars, and it was only released a month ago, so just give it some time...
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Anisha93 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:25 am

Warrior4Christ wrote:Why would it reach 8.2 stars if it has very few review? and do most of ppl want to watch it because of that? that's sad in a way.....

It's actually 8.7 stars, and it was only released a month ago, so just give it some time...[/quote]

Ohh...i see....bu the reviews i have seen so far seem to be very skeptical.....I wonder if people don't want to believe in what God can do.i
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Anisha93 wrote:Ohh...i see....bu the reviews i have seen so far seem to be very skeptical.....I wonder if people don't want to believe in what God can do.i

There will always be attacks on Christian movies, so it's no surprise that the reviews would be skeptical.
Furen

Postby Anisha93 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:57 pm

So is it because people don't want to accept God or because they are scared of accepting God?

Anisha93

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:21 pm

Anisha93 wrote:So is it because people don't want to accept God or because they are scared of accepting God?

I'm sure both can be factors
Furen

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Furen wrote:There will always be attacks on Christian movies, so it's no surprise that the reviews would be skeptical.

Except the biggest bad review was from a Christian so nope, sorry, you can't pull out the "persecution" card.

It's almost as if people can find movies bad even if the message is good.
Anisha93 wrote:So is it because people don't want to accept God or because they are scared of accepting God?

There's also "not believing God exists."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Do I need to link back to Peanut's post and Mech's post from the Bible game thread? Maybe the topic needs its own thread? A stickied thread?
As I just addressed in another thread, nonbelievers aren't just Christians in denial. There's this concept that nonbelievers have an aversion to Christian media because...they're Christians in denial? I don't know. THANKS, CHICK.
Hating a movie doesn't mean they're afraid or don't want to believe. Besides that, being a Christian doesn't shouldn't automatically make one enjoy Christian media just because it's Christian. Again, I refer you to the above links, because they already did a good job covering the issue.
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:15 pm

Nate wrote:There's also "not believing God exists."

But Nate, I'm afraid if I watch the Ten Commandments that I'll stop not believing.
Xeno

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:07 pm

Xeno wrote:
Nate wrote:There's also "not believing God exists."

But Nate, I'm afraid if I watch the Ten Commandments that I'll stop not believing.

Friend, you need to use your imagination! Recognize reality from fiction!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Xeno » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:35 pm

You're right, I just heard that Charlton Heston's performance was so good that it might steer me down the path of the righteous.
Xeno

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:20 am

Hooray for Christian threads turned into sarcastic jokes.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Anisha93 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:25 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:Hooray for Christian threads turned into sarcastic jokes.

Is that bad thing or a good thing or are you also sarcaatic right now?

Anisha93

Postby Furen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:32 am

Anisha93 wrote:
ClaecElric4God wrote:Hooray for Christian threads turned into sarcastic jokes.

Is that bad thing or a good thing or are you also sarcaatic right now?

Sarcasm.
Also, Nate, Christians amongst Christians suffer persecution among one another.
Furen

Postby Sheenar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:37 am

Hey guys, let's just chill a bit, okay? This is a thread for the fun of it and having it devolve into biting sarcasm kind of sucks the fun out of it. Let's remember to treat each other with respect even if we don't agree, okay?
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Anisha93 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:54 am

Sheenar wrote:Hey guys, let's just chill a bit, okay? This is a thread for the fun of it and having it devolve into biting sarcasm kind of sucks the fun out of it. Let's remember to treat each other with respect even if we don't agree, okay?

You are right....Sorry bout that.....

Anisha93

Postby Sheenar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:21 am

Anisha93 wrote:
Sheenar wrote:Hey guys, let's just chill a bit, okay? This is a thread for the fun of it and having it devolve into biting sarcasm kind of sucks the fun out of it. Let's remember to treat each other with respect even if we don't agree, okay?

You're okay. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Furen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 am

Anisha93 wrote:

No no no, you didn't say anything wrong Anisha, Sheenar's just noting that we're getting far from the initial topic of the thread.

Also, what's your favourite part in your favourite Christian movie?
I loved the death crawl in Facing the Giants.
Furen

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:22 am

To give a more clear response as to why people aren't impressed by the 8.7 or so it has on IMDB, its because its user reviews. Anyone can make a review profile on IMDB and as I've discussed in the other media thread recently (bible videogame thread) Christians have a habit of circling the wagons around any piece of media regardless of quality, to our own detriment. I'd be waiting for a real review from at the very least somewhere semi professional like Plugged-in, regardless of my personal opinion of them, because there is a tendency for the christian community to support something because it has 'Jesus' or 'bible' stamped on it, with blind reviews. If you want great examples of this sort of knee jerk support reviewing check out the 5 star reviews on IMDB for the most recent Left Behind film, including a guy celebrating its opening weekend take of 6 million (thats less than a third of its meager 16 million budget).

I've seen this knee jerk support happen for non-christian films as well, where the film has a 90% or better rating in the user reviews on Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB... before the film has been released to the general public and actual viewings were impossible. I'm also not impressed because that 8.7 is from 74 user ratings, probably smaller than your average single theater showing, which only resulted in 5 or 6 text comments on the film, two of whom only have ever reviewed this film and joined IMDB just as the film released, and the rest being someone just clicking a star rating and moving on. I may be interested if I can get more clear reviews from reliable reviewers, but that comment on the film being lukewarm is exactly the thing that concerns me about the movie, and why I'm skeptical of the high rating it has. Lukewarm unfortunately is often considered 'great' in christian media due to christian cultural complacency and habitual backslapping for every little Jesus branded thing and while thats good enough for some people its very much not all right for me.

I'm not skeptical about what God can do, but I am highly skeptical of people why try to sell their product based on the word God or Faith (or in this case Holy Spirit/Ghost) being in the title or summary.

Back to favorite films:
As for my favorite scene, keeping with Prince of Egypt as mine, the Burning Bush probably. Close follow up, the parting of the Red Sea.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Anisha93 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:24 am

Furen wrote: Also, what's your favourite part in your favourite Christian movie?
I loved the death crawl in Facing the Giants.

Hmm...I like the scene kn courageous where all of the fathers take the resolution of following what god wants them to do as fathers. I esp love the last scene where thomas mitchell gives his fathers day speech.

Anisha93

Postby Yami » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:17 am

Prince of Egypt
Yami

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:53 am

mechana2015 wrote:To give a more clear response as to why people aren't impressed by the 8.7 or so it has on IMDB, its because its user reviews. Anyone can make a review profile on IMDB and as I've discussed in the other media thread recently (bible videogame thread) Christians have a habit of circling the wagons around any piece of media regardless of quality, to our own detriment.

Also, with a small enough movie, IMDb might be the most publicity they get outside of whatever the production company is able to put up. Plus, with a production that not many people get to see, the people who worked on the movie might be the first ones to get to the page, and most likely, they're going to give it a 10, skewing the average. In extreme cases or if there's some sort of negativity that comes up, those people might also start posting on the movie's discussion board (which, on IMDb, usually turn into cesspools of terrible even at the best of times), talking about how the people who didn't like it didn't get it, or calling them WoW-addicted Satanists who couldn't tolerate a movie without a decapitation every ten seconds.

As for the trailer for Holy Ghost, for some reason I was expecting something like Koyaanisquatsi or Baraka, all shots of people in real life or nature set to modern classical music or something like that. Turns out, it's yet another "issue film," one of those other staples of Christian filmmaking, where someone sets out to "answer" a question they've very obviously already solved in their heads. I guess I could have seen that coming, but it's still a little disappointing...
Davidizer13

Previous

Return to General