Japanese Cusine

Talk about anything in here.

Japanese Cusine

Postby Rzerox21xx » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:09 am

I assume this being a anime forum and there are people here that love Japanese cusine whether is authentic from Japan or not. what kind of food you love.

When I was in Japan, I went to the Tsukiji Fish Market and had the pleasure of having Sushi there. especially the O-toro(fatty tuna) anyone had that?

there's also the food stands by the Temples. I had Takoyaki(battered with octopus meat and special sauce) and there's for dessert, Manju which is outside made from flour, rice powder and buckwheat and a filling of anko (red bean paste), made from boiled azuki beans and sugar. They are boiled together again and kneaded.

I also love Miso pork Ramen with egg which comes in a big bowl.

man I wish I live in LA or San Francisco where there's a big Japanese population so perhaps I can run some authentic food there but well I live in Miami which is US cuba.
Rzerox21xx

Re: Japanese Cusine

Postby Crossfire » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 am

Ugh... don't remind me. I've been trying to eat at a few local Japanese restaurants for the past week, and every single time I've gone out they have all been closed for one reason or another. Maybe I'll try my luck again today.

Anyways... I'd have to say that one of my favourite Japanese meals is plain old tempura, partnered with some yakisoba or udon with rice. But while I was hanging around Mt. Fuji I ate at one of those conveyer belt sushi joints, and while not the *best* quality food, the sheer novelty was worth the price.
Crossfire

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:04 pm

I prefer authentic Japanese cuisine -- too many places here in the US have "americanized" it (there is little authentic about Benihana's -- it is modeled after a failed Japanese teppanyaki restaurant that, itself, was modeled on Western dishes).

I have had very good Ramen in a couple places in the US (including Los Angeles). Sushi is hit-or-miss; the best sushi in the US I've had was in Hawaii. Ditto for okonomiyaki. The closest I've come to my Osaka yakitori experience was also in Los Angeles.

I myself make a pretty authentic-tasting Japanese curry (which isn't too difficult, actually).

If you've watched Kanon, then you know you have to eat Taiyaki on a cold winter night -- which I did, in Shibuya, as well as Seoul. Takoyaki, on the other hand, is a great summer/festival food -- my first exposure to it was at Namdemun Market (again in Seoul), but I've had it in Tokyo as well.

One thing you won't be able to get is the street vendor food -- I didn't see nearly as many vendors in Japan as I did in Korea, where the street food is almost a religion. Another is the really high quality Bento boxes -- you get better bento at a Japanese 7-11 than you will get in almost any restaurant here in the States.

My wife and I do about half our food shopping at H-Mart or similar Asian markets, so we can usually get authentic ingredients.

Now I'm hungry....
ClosetOtaku

Postby Anirac » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:18 pm

Onigiri, udon, ramen, okinawa soba... I prefer hot dishes. Salty dishes. Without fish. I suck at being the stereotypical Japanese everyone wants me to be -.-
Anirac

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Ooh, I'll help grave-dig this!

Well, I love curry. And yes, I've had this conversation. Saying Japanese beef curry isn't really Japanese is like saying hamburgers aren't American (which they technically aren't, mind you, which is my point).
I was actually going to make katsu with pork chops I bought, and next thing I knew Mom was using them to make some sort of a crock pot thing. Ah, well, I think I have some left over.
Also gyudon, which I'm pretty sure I've mentioned a few times. I particularly enjoy making dishes where my family is like "Ew, Japanese food?" and then find out they love it.
Made a tamagoyaki the other day. Not crazy about it, to be honest, a bit too sweet. But I'm going to try to acquire a taste, mostly because I'm determined to master the art of making those things.
Yakisoba was okay, not particularly exciting, though. Fried rice is a beautiful thing. The best thing I remember having in Japan was a burger over curry and rice at Denny's. It was heavenly.
Souba is good, but I'm not much of a tofu person.
I've yet to have a good experience with "Japanese" food stateside. I'm hoping to make it to an authentic Japanese restaurant one of these days, instead of the Japanese restaurant run by Chinese here in town. But the nearest one with a good reputation is at least an hour from here.

Crossfire wrote:But while I was hanging around Mt. Fuji I ate at one of those conveyer belt sushi joints, and while not the *best* quality food, the sheer novelty was worth the price.

Yeah, that's about how I felt about it. It's also where I met my new arch-nemesis: squid. That stuff is impossible. I finally gave up on chewing it and just swallowed it whole.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Anirac » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:02 pm

Oh well, and if we're grave-digging, might as well make it worth it, right? How about we share recipes here? Reading about food made me hungry. I have a recipe for a quick onigiri snack:

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/01/yaki-onigiri-recipe/
Anirac

Return to General