6%
Microsoft
6%
Other
28%

Total votes: 18

Antivirus software

Postby drill » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:58 am

Ok, since I'm kinda bored, and because I like making polls, what antivirus software do you use? I personally use Avast, as I like the look of it and it does its job without slowing my computer down.

drill

Re: Antivirus software

Postby FourFourSeven » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 am

drill wrote:Ok, since I'm kinda bored, and because I like making polls, what antivirus software do you use? I personally use Avast, as I like the look of it and it does its job without slowing my computer down.

None, since I now use Linux. Not saying it's invincible against malware, however. It's just an extremely harder target to attack.

But on all Windows systems, I always use Avast. Accept no substitutes.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby Xeno » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 am

On Windows I always use Avira, on OS X I don't use anything because it's kind of pointless.
Xeno

Postby nillapoet » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 am

I use avast too. Kaspersky is the only one I haven't used. All of the other ones seemed to really slow down my computers.
nillapoet

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am

I use avast.

Though if it flakes out again I'm going to try Comodo (I'm using their firewall).
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Why not include the master race of all anti-virus software. Malwarebytes anti-malware?
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby drill » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Jingo Jaden wrote:Why not include the master race of all anti-virus software. Malwarebytes anti-malware?

Malwarebytes not an antivirus software, thats why. Its more of a clean up program to catch things that your antivirus software missed. Basically, you shouldn't be using only malwarebytes to protect your computer.

Read this, it will help explain: https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entri ... -software-
drill

Postby Furen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 pm

I like avast, and use it, but this week I was having computer troubles connecting to my internet browsers (skype and the like still worked) I could do it in safe mode with networking, but I had to delete avast to get my internet to work (It was crazy, looking up help like "Clear your winsock" and refresh your DNS and all that stuff :/ ) (Which was good, because I was to the point of totally reinstalling my laptop)

Still a great anti virus, there's also the stuff by Iobit, so malware fighter by them is pretty good, but if I really want to check my com, I have avast run, and then do a check with Iobit advanced systemcare.

also, their smart defrag is a very useful tool, set it and never think of defragging again :P
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:35 pm

I use Firefox for Ubuntu with NoScript so this doesn't really apply to me either. I have AVG installed in Windows 7 because it doesn't seem to be very invasive and I got it for like $15 for a year. It wouldn't really get used though since that OS is basically just for Steam games. If I were going to do anything I thought was potentially dangerous, especially in Windows, I'd probably do it in a VM since you generally can't infect your host.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby FourFourSeven » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:47 am

drill wrote:
Jingo Jaden wrote:Why not include the master race of all anti-virus software. Malwarebytes anti-malware?

Malwarebytes not an antivirus software, thats why. Its more of a clean up program to catch things that your antivirus software missed. Basically, you shouldn't be using only malwarebytes to protect your computer.

Read this, it will help explain: https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entri ... -software-

I totally forgot about that one, too. Spybot S&D used to be my second-line scanner immediately after the AV. Then when Safer-Networking hadn't updated the scanning engine in so long, MBAM quickly took over as my main secondary scanner.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

FourFourSeven

Postby GoldenEagle » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Currently I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes, partly because im too lazy to get new software, and I don't download or click many suspicious looking links, but I should probably get Avast sometime soon.
こんにちは、皆さん! 始めまして!

The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity. - Abraham Lincoln

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/FlockOfEagles
GoldenEagle

Postby radical edward » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:34 am

Webroot was given to us with the new hard drive.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon May 12, 2014 10:32 am

Avast and Malwarebytes anti-malware because that's how I roll!
Roy Mustang

Postby spark300c » Sun May 25, 2014 4:58 pm

I have mac which generally goes not get virus because there few written for it and mac operation system are hard to crack.
spark300c

Postby FourFourSeven » Sun May 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Roy Mustang wrote:Avast and Malwarebytes anti-malware because that's how I roll!

I call that the "Smith & Wesson" combo. :thumb:

Now you just need to figure out a suitable freeware/FOSS firewall to go along with that. Up until last year I was using Sygate Personal Firewall. And when it started to grind gears with a major Avast version update, I switched it to Private Firewall. For an aging Win XP OS at the time, I thought it was a pretty good free-based security package. Not sure how it would do on a Win 7/8.x system, though.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

FourFourSeven

Postby agasfas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Avast hands down. Free and seems to do as good or better than many of the pay software. Years ago I used McAfee, however it would always slow-down or freeze up my computer.
agasfas

Return to General