Remembrance/Veterans Day.

Talk about anything in here.

Remembrance/Veterans Day.

Postby Crossfire » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:26 am

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month...

I realize anyone who cares has probably watched/attended a ceremony by now, but I thought I'd post a thread here anyways. Today marks Nov. 11th, or as we call it in Canada "Remembrance Day"; a time in which we reflect and honor the sacrifices of past and present soldiers of the Commonwealth and military personal across the globe. No matter your nationality, I strongly urge people to take a minute or two to remember those who have fallen in the line of duty, and those who continue to serve at this present time.
Crossfire

Re: Remembrance/Veterans Day.

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Not to take away from the excellent nature of this thread, but Veterans' Day is in honor of those who are still alive, but served in the military at some point. Don't feel bad because it is often confused for Memorial Day, which is a separate holiday in May that is in honor of those who have died while serving in the military. In fact most of the time both groups of people are honored on both holidays. Which isn't a bad thing at all! But again, just for the sake of clarity, it is mostly meant for those who are still with us, as Memorial Day is for those who have died.

EDIT: Of course, this only applies to the US, other countries probably do their own thang.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:40 pm

It's also the day which the Catholic Church recognizes St. Martin of Tours, who was widely known for being a conscientious objector when conscripted into the Roman Army.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:23 am

Well, I missed this cause of travelling and all that good stuff (plus the fact that I basically forfeited Monday to time travel), but thanks for posting.
Ironically, I watched some Canadian ceremony thing on TV while in Toronto. But hey, at least I honored somebody's military.

Veterans Day is a big deal for me, since my uncle served overseas in World War II. He's in his 90's now, and with his health this could very well be his last Veteran's Day.
I appreciate all our military has done for us. God bless our veterans.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to General