Greeting cards

Talk about anything in here.

Greeting cards

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Well, the holidays are coming up and you know what that means: a deluge of cards. What do you think of cards? Do you love sending/receiving them? Or do you consider them a waste of paper, space, and money?

Personally, I'm more the latter. Unless somebody wrote a fun personal message (not just signing their name or writing, "God bless, praying for you!") to me, I don't keep cards. They're a nice gesture but I see very little value or meaning in them, and they often just add to the clutter. So, it might be bad form, but I throw them away.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Re: Greeting cards

Postby goldenspines » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Personally, I love cards, especially if they are handmade. Over receiving them (which I don't receive too many), I really enjoy drawing personalized cards and sending them to my friends.
Admittedly, I always have a hard time figuring out what to write in them though (beside the stereotypical "Merry Christmas!", since I mostly send Christmas cards), so I should try to make them more personalized. D:

But yeah, I like cards, but hand written letters are the best. *_*
goldenspines

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:19 pm

I've enjoyed both giving and receiving cards over the years, but as time has worn on, I send (and receive) fewer and fewer. I can understand why most people don't want to bother/be bothered by them, and they do represent a consumption of resources that (in almost all cases) goes in the trash/recycling within a couple weeks.
ClosetOtaku

Postby Xeno » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:07 am

Never have really understood the point. I don't like receiving them because I feel bad throwing them away, but I'm definitely not keeping a bunch of random cards forever.
Xeno

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Overall, I think greeting cards are a hassle. Unless it's for a specific, non-annual occasion, I don't like them. Like get-well, congratulations on such and such an achievement, condolences, that kind of thing, I don't mind so much. But I don't get much enjoyment out of receiving Christmas/Thanksgiving/birthday/etc. cards. And I'm too lazy to send them out, so then I feel like a heel when I get cards from people I didn't send a card to. I dunno, I understand the purpose and how people might enjoy them, but for me personally, I'd prefer a hand-written letter or something. Even personalized or homemade cards don't excite me.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Adie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:06 am

goldenspines wrote:Personally, I love cards, especially if they are handmade.

Same here. :)
Maybe it's just because I'm overly-sentimental, but I keep every single card I get. I have a whole box full of them in my room. :p
I love getting store-bought cards, handmade cards, and handwritten letters. Even if the card-giver doesn't write anything in the card, I like knowing that they thought of me, even briefly enough to go "oh hey, I think Addela would like that card."
I usually only send out Christmas cards, and I'll give someone a card for their birthday (usually along with a gift card) if I really can't think of anything else to get them. :p
Adie

Postby drill » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Xeno wrote:Never have really understood the point. I don't like receiving them because I feel bad throwing them away, but I'm definitely not keeping a bunch of random cards forever.

I feel exactly the same way about cards, and therefore my room sometimes gets cluttered with them. Usually I feel better if I through them all out at once, then I don't really have to think about a specific card that was sent to me.

However, there are some cards that I can't get myself to throw away, and they all get shoved in a drawer somewhere. I'm not sure if this is better than actually throwing them away. :XD:
drill

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:23 am

I used to send cards, and would try to write something different for each person. So ... it kinda took more effort, which is probably why I've stopped now (another major factor being my handwriting sucks - I don't even know if anyone can even make out the words I write...).

I would like to start writing and sending cards again though, but will probably keep the list very short, so then I can be motivated enough to go through it.
Sammy Boy

Postby Anirac » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:33 pm

I love receiving cards, and I love sending them even more, but for decluttering and saving money, I only keep them for a year and very often I upcycle them into a new card. I love it when they have pop-ups, big drawings, fancy frames, because those can be easily cut out and used in a handmade card. Of course, I make sure that the person who is receiving the upcycled card is not the same person who sent me the card it was cut out from xD
Anirac

Return to General