Do you follow the news?

Talk about anything in here.

Do you follow the news?

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:19 pm

I was just wondering, who all actually regularly follows the news, and how do you usually check the news?

Me, I usually check google news on a semi-daily basis.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Re: Do you follow the news?

Postby Lynna » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:29 am

Not really, but my mother listens to the radio in the morning sometimes, which generally keeps me connected.
Lynna

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:03 am

Yes. Online and radio through multiple venues.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Xeno » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:52 am

I keep up with the news through various means on a pretty regular basis. I follow a couple different news feeds on twitter and actively support an online news network.
Xeno

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:47 am

I used to watch CNN, Fox News and a little MSNBC on a daily basis. Then I discovered that I'm much happier not following the fake outrages and contrived problems and depressing actual stories of a 24-hour news cycle. I feel much better not keeping up with the rat race.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby silvanis2.0 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:40 am

I'll check it out via google occasionally.
-------------
Go mbeannaí Dia duit.
-------------
"What is it? There's no need to yell in unison!" -L, English Dub
silvanis2.0

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 am

Sky News, CBS, CNN, FOX, VG 'Verdens Gang' Dagbladet ' Daypaper' BBC and occasionally the Daily Telegraph, Guardian and other general UK outlets, but those are mostly for sports.

Probably leaving a few out.
Jingo Jaden

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:07 am

Hardly, but if something catches my attention (like enough people sharing it on my Facebook news feed), I'll look it up and read for myself. Other than that, I don't follow the news at all.
K. Ayato

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:59 am

My parents keep the news on the TV for half the day, and my house's lay-out is pretty open, so I kind of involuntarily keep up with the news. I don't have a problem with it, though; I like to be (broadly) informed on the happenings of the world.
Ally-Ann

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:24 pm

I get all my news from reading the Political Cartoons Megathread.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:26 pm

I listen to NPR driving to and from work, read my hometown's daily paper every day, and follow a couple religious blogs that post links to news things every so often.
Davidizer13

Postby shooraijin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:03 pm

I read the Wall Street Journal, and a couple local papers. I've tired of TV news (I don't have cable anyway).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Meh, not as much as I probably should. I hear it from someone else if it's a big deal, or I'll glance at the Yahoo! headlines when checking my mail. That's about it.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby SierraLea » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 pm

It's pretty depressing, so no.
SierraLea

Postby PandaPop » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Yes Yes and Yes lol if I don't know whats going on it usually means I was stuck in a hole with no access to electronics. I love having a broad view of the world it makes the world and my life seem bigger, so I don't feel like I'm just stuck in my own bubble all the time. I also have a lot of political opinions that I enjoy yelling at the television pretending I'm making a difference lol I think its a family trait.
Usually keep up by watching Fox News, but my favorite way is looking at political/informative people and pages on facebook that I trust, it gives you the deeper details of all the situations.
PandaPop

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Sometimes I feel like Roger Rabbit: "I HATE the news!"
K. Ayato

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:33 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:Meh, not as much as I probably should. I hear it from someone else if it's a big deal, or I'll glance at the Yahoo! headlines when checking my mail. That's about it.

I can't look at online news. Because I always have to scroll down to the comments, which makes me hate people.

I know the answer is "Just don't scroll down to the comments" but I can't help it. I have to know how far down the rabbit hole goes.

So I just avoid online news entirely. It helps me keep my sanity.

Nate

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:45 am

Nate wrote:
ClaecElric4God wrote:Meh, not as much as I probably should. I hear it from someone else if it's a big deal, or I'll glance at the Yahoo! headlines when checking my mail. That's about it.

I can't look at online news. Because I always have to scroll down to the comments, which makes me hate people.

I know the answer is "Just don't scroll down to the comments" but I can't help it. I have to know how far down the rabbit hole goes.

So I'm not the only one? Yeah, I try to avoid reading comments on news, but like you said, it's nigh impossible. Curiosity, I suppose.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 am

That reasoning is why I can't read comments anywhere on the net.
Last edited by Mullet Death on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:35 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:So I'm not the only one? Yeah, I try to avoid reading comments on news, but like you said, it's nigh impossible. Curiosity, I suppose.

I always hope. I always say "Maybe this time there won't be any incredibly racist and hateful comments!"

So far, my hopes have been for naught.

Nate

Postby Sheenar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Nate wrote:]

Same here. Sometimes I just can't help myself --even though I know it's not going to go anywhere good on most things. :P

I keep up with news by following a couple of local news stations on Facebook/on their websites --will occasionally read news in magazines at doctor's offices (like Time, Newsweek, etc.). Otherwise, I usually find out about things through friends who post links on Facebook and other sites.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Meh, a little. I try to stay on top of what's going on in politics, but usually that just ends up frustrating me etc. So normally I just check a couple of times a week online and browse the headlines. :/
AngelicTotoro

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Mullet Death wrote:That reasoning is why I can't read comments anywhere on the net.

THIS.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby PandaPop » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:55 am

Must agree with the comment topic Kills me every time lol, and yeah theres no way were not reading them you just have to see how ridiculous so many people are, and then get angry and start ranting to yourself haha its a sick cycle.
PandaPop

Postby Vilo159 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 am

I used to listen to talk radio quite a bit, then stopped caring because most of it was garbage. I'll read articles if people post them on faceboook, but for now that's about it.
Vilo159

Postby SierraLea » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Vilo159 wrote:I used to listen to talk radio quite a bit, then stopped caring because most of it was garbage. I'll read articles if people post them on faceboook, but for now that's about it.

I second that. People talk about how they posted embarrassing Facebook pics of other people ON THE AIR. Please, I do not need to listen to this.
SierraLea

Postby Vilo159 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:15 pm

SierraLea wrote:
Vilo159 wrote:I used to listen to talk radio quite a bit, then stopped caring because most of it was garbage. I'll read articles if people post them on faceboook, but for now that's about it.

I second that. People talk about how they posted embarrassing Facebook pics of other people ON THE AIR. Please, I do not need to listen to this.

Man, that's awful. The station I was on at least stayed out of petty drudgery like that. It was mostly discussion on news and politics, which wasn't too bad. But everyone on it was so incredibly biased and everything there was so tainted with their opinions and political beliefs that it wasn't worth hearing. I even agreed with them on most stuff, it was just the sheer amount that was annoying. There was absolutely no attempts to see both sides of things.
Vilo159

Postby GeneD » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:25 am

I'm pretty susceptible to negativity in the news so I only listen to it on the radio when in a car and occasionally look at online news stories.
GeneD

Postby Xeno » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Speaking of the news, AT&T U-verse dropped AlJazeera America from it's line up one minute before it went on air and decided to claim it had something to do with a contract negotiation, which had already been worked out. This kind of upsets me because AlJazeera no longer offers the AJE feed in the United States because of AJAM being broadcast.
Xeno

Postby FourFourSeven » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:47 pm

shooraijin wrote:I read the Wall Street Journal, and a couple local papers. I've tired of TV news (I don't have cable anyway).

I just recently begun reading the WSJ, myself. It's better than listening/watching the traditional news outlets like Fox news, msnbc, HLN, CNN and so forth.

BBC News is actually so much preferable, though (and the only one I can more than bear to watch).
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Next

Return to General