Questions for those who draw

Talk about anything in here.

Questions for those who draw

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed May 29, 2013 4:58 am

Question for those of you who draw as a hobby - how often do you spend time on this?

I think I'd improve noticeably if I spent more time drawing on consecutive days, but usually I only get a couple of hours (max.) each week.

Do you attempt to finish a drawing in one sitting, or do you start with some "warm up" exercises like quick sketches before moving onto the main thing you wish to draw?
Sammy Boy

Re: Questions for those who draw

Postby mechana2015 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:34 am

Every day, even if just for 10 minutes. Sometimes I do warmups , but I often just dive in on whatever has my attention at the time. Finishing a drawing in one sitting is rare for me, but it depends on what my goal is. If I'm hashing out layouts for a more detailed piece or a painting, I'll probably finish a few of them, and I'll probably get through a sketch in a sitting. If I'm working on a seriously detailed pencil/ink piece it probably won't be done for a few days.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Vii » Wed May 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Most of my drawing each week is done during my library's weekly art club. I should really draw more, and I would definitely get better faster if I did. I do some small doodles here and there as well, but that doesn't amount to much.

Generally I don't finish a drawing in one sitting unless I'm extremely inspired and heavily engrossed in it (In addition to having the time to spend on that much drawing.) I like to work in short bursts rather than drawn out sessions.
Vii

Postby Banana Lobster » Wed May 29, 2013 5:52 pm

I used to draw a ton, but now I don't do it as much. I can go for a week or two without drawing anything, much to my annoyance, because I really like drawing. :P When I do draw, I usually just jump right in, only sometimes doing a few quick sketches beforehand.
Banana Lobster

Postby Koneko-chan » Wed May 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Probably a few hours everyday. I actually usually can't wait for my drawing to be done, so I'll try to draw it in one sitting, but then if I really want to be careful and precise, I'll take my time. ^_^
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu May 30, 2013 3:16 am

mechana2015 wrote:Every day, even if just for 10 minutes. Sometimes I do warmups , but I often just dive in on whatever has my attention at the time. Finishing a drawing in one sitting is rare for me, but it depends on what my goal is. If I'm hashing out layouts for a more detailed piece or a painting, I'll probably finish a few of them, and I'll probably get through a sketch in a sitting. If I'm working on a seriously detailed pencil/ink piece it probably won't be done for a few days.

Do you have an art site whose link you could share with us?

Vii wrote:Most of my drawing each week is done during my library's weekly art club. I should really draw more, and I would definitely get better faster if I did. I do some small doodles here and there as well, but that doesn't amount to much.

Generally I don't finish a drawing in one sitting unless I'm extremely inspired and heavily engrossed in it (In addition to having the time to spend on that much drawing.) I like to work in short bursts rather than drawn out sessions.

You are part of an art club? Wow ... that's cool. :) We didn't have any such clubs when I was in school.

Banana Lobster wrote:I used to draw a ton, but now I don't do it as much. I can go for a week or two without drawing anything, much to my annoyance, because I really like drawing. :P When I do draw, I usually just jump right in, only sometimes doing a few quick sketches beforehand.

What stops you from going without drawing for a week or two? For myself, it's lack of spare time and also the fact that because my job requires a lot of mental energy (read: many meetings and admin related stuff, on top of hands-on technical work), at times when I get home I feel braindead so when I do get a bit of spare time I prefer to watch TV, listen to music, or play action RPG games.

Koneko-chan wrote:Probably a few hours everyday. I actually usually can't wait for my drawing to be done, so I'll try to draw it in one sitting, but then if I really want to be careful and precise, I'll take my time. ^_^

It has been a long time since I can spare a few hours each day. I am slightly jealous, your art must be good! :)
Sammy Boy

Postby mechana2015 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:23 am

Nothing particularly recent unfortunately. I'll get on that.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to General