Myers Brigg

Talk about anything in here.

Myers Brigg

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:12 pm

My latest obsession has been Myers Brigg, I love psychology and how humans work, so of course this would be right up my alley (though I know its just a theory) What do you guys think of it? What is your type? I'm a INFJ. Its honestly helped me understand my friends and family and why I don't connect with a lot of people.
Makachop^^128

Re: Myers Brigg

Postby ADXC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 pm

It's cool. I'm an ISTJ! But you knew that already from FB. XD :P
ADXC

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 pm

haha yep XD oh yeah I've been studying the types more and the functions and I think my brother is a ESTP actually. He's hard to read haha and has no interest in this stuff so that doesn't help.
Makachop^^128

Postby Xeno » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm either INFJ or INTJ. I can never remember. I was the only person in my group when I took this test with a bunch of other people back in 2007.
Xeno

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 pm

IXTJ -- my N and S switch back and forth. I first took the test in 1988 and scored INTJ, but by 1992 I was ISTJ. Subsequently have taken it several times, a strong "I" value that has weakened over time, but have never settled on N/S.
ClosetOtaku

Postby PrincessZelda » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Myers Brigg is fun! I'm an ENFJ.
PrincessZelda

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 pm

oh awesome, I have always thought that type sounded really interesting!
Makachop^^128

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:16 am

ENTJ, 5 on the Enneagram.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 am

Oh the MBTI. I'm well aware of the MBTI.

A minor pet peeve of mine (and I mean minor. It's not a *serious* deal at all but people always utilize the Myers-Briggs incorrectly) is how people use the MBTI without any understanding of the cognitive functional analysis that is the core of the MBTI. Which I mean like... it's fine. People like to use these in a not-so-serious manner. But there is a lot more depth to it than what people realize.

Cognitive functions are not tools, skillsets, or behaviors that can be improved or learned. They are passive perspectives through which one perceives information. Think of yourself as a "photographer" and your mind as a "camera". The functions could be seen as different "colored filters". People of each type combines several of these colored filters (functions) to achieve a unique shade in which the world appears to them.

There is no such thing as being borderline J/P, T/F, or S/N. These are not sliding scales though some tests misrepresent them as so. These letters that compose the 4-letter type code are representative of an underlying order of cognitive functions. It is these cognitive functions that define the type. For example, valued cognitive functions of type INFJ are Ni,Fe,Ti,Se while cognitive functions of type INTJ are Ni,Te,Fi,Se. If you take a look at the middle functions of these two types they are different: Fe,Ti vs Te,Fi. What this means is that INFJs extravert their feeling and introverted logic, while INTJs extraverted their logic and introvert their feeling. Thus one cannot be a "borderline" INxJ type.

'J' and 'P' letters do not represent any cognitive functions in themselves. They stand for "Judger" and "Perceiver" which is decided by type's highest order extraverted function. All types that extravert a Je function (Fe or Te) as their dominant or auxiliary are Judging or J-types. All types that extravert a Pe function (Ne or Se) as dominant or auxiliary are Perceiving or P-types.

J/P letters do not operate on a sliding scale, thus you cannot be "borderline J/P". Types that differ in their last letter are completely different in their cognitive functions. Changing the last letter changes all of the cognitive functions. For instance, INFJ's cognitive functional line-up is Ni,Fe,Ti,Se while for INFP's it is Fi,Ne,Si,Te. Even though their 4-letter codes differ only by the last letter, these two types share no functions in common and are very different. In studying types, it is better to conceptualize them in terms of underlying cognitive functional order rather than their 4-letter labels.

On the same note, results of MBTI studies that ignore cognitive functional basis of types and instead use four-letter codes to collect their data are problematic. A study that groups all NF types together irrespective of whether they value Fi/Ne (xNFP) or Fe/Ni (xNFJ) is not going to yield meaningful results, because such a study has grouped types that are cognitively dissimilar. The four-letter codes become meaningless if they are taken and used out of context of cognitive functions that they are supposed to represent.

Percentages displayed on MBTI tests do not indicate the strength of a dichotomy. They represent the certainty level of the dichotomy. So if you get 100% Introvert, it doesn't mean you're necessarily more introverted than someone who gets a 80%, it just means you can be more certain of being introverted.

More of this information is here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/co ... us-sources

Now remember that the Myers-Briggs is based off of Jungian thought, so naturally there are always criticisms to everything. Nobody is claiming this is the end-all be-all of personality typing. And of course we're all humans and labels are weird and stuff.

That being said I'm an ENFP: Extraverted Intuition, Introverted Feeling, Extraverted Thinking, Introverted Sensing. These four things mean different things and the order they are places is what my functional preferences are from greatest to least.

I like being an ENFP. :D
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 am

I've been doing some studying on the functions actually (much better then the test) its really interesting actually :) my brother is a ENFP!
Makachop^^128

Postby Okami » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 am

When I started college, I was an INTP. I've since grown into an INFJ, where I've been for the past three years. Yeah Counselors!
Okami

Postby Vii » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:47 am

ISTJ

(I've only taken online ones, so I can't vouch for how accurate it is.)
Vii

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:49 am

I've only ever taken two online tests, but both said I was INTJ. And after I read about the personality type, I found that the description is frighteningly accurate about myself. Initially creeped me out a little, but now I think it's kind of fun.
Ally-Ann

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:13 pm

oooh interesting INTJs are the scientists. Random question, do you find that you feel attached to animals more then people? I heard that because of the introverted feeling INTJs have a huge love for animals.
Makachop^^128

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 pm

^^Re: animals: Unfortunately, not this INTJ. My kids have had fish, hamsters, a dog, and two ferrets (guess who got to take care of them most of the time...). Never had strong feelings for any of them (except maybe the dog). I like my books and games. They don't need a lot of pampering. (Well, maybe the games do. They've got their own upstairs room.)
ClosetOtaku

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Makachop^^128 wrote:oooh interesting INTJs are the scientists. Random question, do you find that you feel attached to animals more then people? I heard that because of the introverted feeling INTJs have a huge love for animals.

I love animals. :3 Especially dogs, cats, and any small, fluffy rodent. I'd sooner go to a bunch of dwarf bunnies and cuddle them to bits before I'd go to a group of people to socialize. I'm slow to make friends, but once I do, I'm definitely more attached to them than to animals. Especially my best friend. Honestly, if something happened to her and I couldn't see her again, I would never be the same.... *Runs off to call her*
Ally-Ann

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm an ISFJ.

Although I'm fairly comfortable talking with others, I prefer a small group of friends to a large one. I'm also a bit of a planner. I always try to get assignments done as quickly as possible. I'm not much of a procrastinator.
Yamamaya

Postby Makachop^^128 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:55 am

oh cool ISFJ are kinda fascinating to me, my sister is one. They have a lot of the same functions as a INFJ, so its like they are alike but not haha.
Makachop^^128

Postby CrystalChalice » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:50 am

I remember having to take this test for a class last semester. According to my results, I'm INFJ.
CrystalChalice

Postby Winry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:27 am

If I am remembering right I'm an ISTJ
Winry

Postby QtheQreater » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Makachop^^128 wrote:oooh interesting INTJs are the scientists. Random question, do you find that you feel attached to animals more then people? I heard that because of the introverted feeling INTJs have a huge love for animals.

INTJ here, and no, I really feel more attached to people. That said, I like animals (specific kinds, I'm not all that fond of, say, many forms of reptile). I don't think it's really an either/or sort of thing.

Scientist, eh? I prefer "Mastermind." Mwahaha.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Makachop^^128 wrote:oh cool ISFJ are kinda fascinating to me, my sister is one. They have a lot of the same functions as a INFJ, so its like they are alike but not haha.

Yeah the strange thing is, although ISFJs tend not to be involved in political or controversial things, I am a huge political animal and quite in favor of social change lol. However, I like to do things by the books, and I tend not to engage in political debate often as I value relationships over arguments and I'd say I'm fairly hardworking. And I see in my relationship with my girlfriend, it's taken me a long time to be able to tell her if something is going wrong with me or if I'm not feeling particularly great.
I suppose all such psychological labels have their pros and cons as Smarty mentioned.
Yamamaya

Postby Makachop^^128 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Its always important with Myers Brigg to remember that people don't fit into a box haha. I tend not to engage in political debates either if I think the person is sensitive. Unless they are putting down what I believe haha, I am actually not sure where they say INFJs are with politics, I know a lot of INFJs are politicians but I don't know. I'm actually really open about how I feel, idk if thats a INFJ thing or just me haha, if people ask how I feel I'm normally really honest unless I know they aren't really interested haha.
Makachop^^128

Postby shooraijin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:13 am

INTJ, 6w5. However, people's manner and motivations change through adolescence and early adulthood, so take anything you're getting at those stages of your life with a grain of salt. Anecdotally I found a lot of my peers, including myself, leant more towards extraverted feeling at that stage.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Xeno » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Because it was bothering me, I took a Jung test to see what my code was, turns out it's INTP, not INTJ or INFJ like I was thinking.
Xeno

Postby Makachop^^128 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Thats what type my mom is haha, INTPs are pretty cool, super smart for sure.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:07 pm

INTPs are basically human computers. Basically. Only they have a little more emotions than a computer does, but I think that's all part of their programming too. ;)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Dante » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 pm

INFP - but I used to rank as an INTJ. Also, I doubt the INTP computer thing. You're ignoring the P, which implies that they're more spontaneous then orderly (like their J counterparts).
Dante

Postby Makachop^^128 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:29 pm

wow INFP from a INTJ thats a big difference haha. although I did look into those types before I settled for INFJ.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Tereya » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:43 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Oh the MBTI. I'm well aware of the MBTI.

A minor pet peeve of mine (and I mean minor. It's not a *serious* deal at all but people always utilize the Myers-Briggs incorrectly) is how people use the MBTI without any understanding of the cognitive functional analysis that is the core of the MBTI. Which I mean like... it's fine. People like to use these in a not-so-serious manner. But there is a lot more depth to it than what people realize.

Basically this. It's not a big deal or anything, but it is fun nevertheless when you find someone else who has some understanding of the Jungian underpinnings. Makes it that much more interesting. :)

Also I am an INFJ 5w4>4w5>9w1. If you have any idea what that means... see me for your congratulatory cookie.
Tereya

Next

Return to General