Self-Injury Awareness Day

Talk about anything in here.

Self-Injury Awareness Day

Postby Okami » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 pm

So, if you know me at all, you know self-harm and its recovery are my passion and ministry focus.

Today, being Self-Injury Awareness Day, is a day to support those in the struggle, to start conversations and discussions of education, and change to break stigma and misconception. It is unfortunate just how unaware and misinformed those in the church are, and it is my hope to be a change in that! :thumb:

Today those of us most impacted and affected by self-harm are wearing orange and spreading the word in every way possible; I know my social media is blown up with images, blogs, and inspirational words to remind people they are loved and ought to keep fighting for their recovery.

So what can you do?

Get the facts. Begin understanding reasons behind a person's pain.
Be there for others. Let them know they're not alone.
Seek treatment and counseling if you are dealing with self-harm; get support.

Some sites to help you begin...
LifeSigns - http://www.lifesigns.org.uk/
Self-Injury Foundation - http://www.selfinjuryfoundation.org/
S.A.F.E. - Self-Abuse Finally Ends - http://www.selfinjury.com/
TWLOHA - To Write Love on Her Arms - http://www.twloha.com/
Cornell Research Project on Self-Injurious Behavior - http://www.crpsib.com/
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Re: Self-Injury Awareness Day

Postby Sheenar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:37 pm

I shared your blog entry on my Facebook if that's okay. You did a fantastic job of explaining what self-injury is and isn't, sharing your experiences and your heart. I pray that God continues to use you to speak hope and truth into people's lives. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby akorecki1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:12 pm

All I can say is Thank You! That used to be me.
akorecki1

Postby Okami » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Sheenar wrote:I shared your blog entry on my Facebook if that's okay. You did a fantastic job of explaining what self-injury is and isn't, sharing your experiences and your heart. I pray that God continues to use you to speak hope and truth into people's lives. :)

I've been humbled by the response towards the blog....It's been an honoring experience, giving me positive feedback that I'm on the right track with my paper.
Thank you for sharing it - that was definitely a goal, to spread the word and spark conversation as to why these things need to be addressed more often.

akorecki1 wrote:All I can say is Thank You! That used to be me.

And thank you for letting me know! I appreciate knowing this is helpful. :)

---

Today was a great day, overall. It's been a tough week, but SIAD was an encouragement to me that I can be a leader, people will listen to what I have to say, people actually care, and perhaps change can be made without a huge fight. I know it's come around time and time again as to why taking Scripture in context is so important, and I think it goes that in taking it out of context, people can be hurt by it; don't do it! is a huge factor when I look at my own experience.

So...yeah...I'm super pumped for where this is going and will actually not be an end (SIAD only being a day, or March being an awareness month) - but a launching pad to the rest of this semester as I prepare to take on further leadership in this manner and also have the opportunity to present the material of my written project! :jump:
Okami

Postby steenajack » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 pm

WHere is your blog post? :o
steenajack

Postby Okami » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:05 pm

steenajack wrote:WHere is your blog post? :o

Oh! I had posted it in the Status thread. :sweat: Here you go.
Okami

Return to General