Bad/weird Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukkah/whatever-you-celebrate gifts?

Talk about anything in here.

Bad/weird Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukkah/whatever-you-celebrate gifts?

Postby DaughterOfZion » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:09 pm

My dad received a pack of ten pairs of scissors and a cheap tool kit from my grandmother as gifts this Christmas.
The gifts I got were all decent, though 6 bags of popcorn may be considered weird. xD It's my favorite kind and it's hard to find stores that have it in stock.

Anyone else get anything that wasn't very good or was strange?

Oh, from past holiday seasons, that same grandmother gave my dad three Jesus' heads, those kind that look like their heads are following you wherever you move, though it was accidental, two of the three were supposed to go to other relatives. xD So that was a mildly creepy gift.
Last edited by DaughterOfZion on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaughterOfZion

Re: Bad/weird Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukkah/whatever-you-celebrate gifts?

Postby goldenspines » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:16 pm

A box chocolates. They will be the death of me. ;_;
goldenspines

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:26 pm

I wouldn't say it was a bad gift considering it's the thought that counts, but my cousin from Boston gave me a box of Hershey chocolate pecan turtles. Why is this bad? I'm allergic to pecans. She didn't know and I didn't say anything, my mom is just going to take them into work for her friends to enjoy. So it's still kind of a win/win situation.
TopazRaven

Postby armeck » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:31 pm

I got an eyebrow piercing. not bad but certainly non traditional
armeck

Postby Furen » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Last year, my sister decided she was going to give me popcorn. That wouldn't have been bad... but she decided 100 calorie popcorn because I'm fat... Additional, it was a pack of 8 and I only got seven. There was supposed to be spices to go with it, but she changed her mind the day before. So she spent like... 3 dollars on me, and I spent 30, I got her the thing she wanted.

I've never been one to complain about a present, but that one was just upsetting. I've never really been disappointed in a gift. There have been ones I don't like, but I knew the intention. My sisters intention wasn't there.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Okami » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:15 pm

My family (stepmom and mom, from what I was told) got me this funny pink monster plushie. It's so bizarre that I opened it up and was like, "creepiest Christmas present ever!" I still can't figure out if it's cute or hideous so count me in the weird gift category. XD
Okami

Postby Sheenar » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:00 pm

TopazRaven wrote:I wouldn't say it was a bad gift considering it's the thought that counts, but my cousin from Boston gave me a box of Hershey chocolate pecan turtles. Why is this bad? I'm allergic to pecans. She didn't know and I didn't say anything, my mom is just going to take them into work for her friends to enjoy. So it's still kind of a win/win situation.

One of my cousins baked Snickerdoodle cookies for me. I cannot eat wheat products --but I didn't say anything to her. I just passed the cookies on to a friend I knew would enjoy them.

This year, the weirdest "gift" (it was a White Elephant gift) I received was a pair of Squirrel Underpants. haha
Sheenar

Postby impact777 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Furen wrote:Last year, my sister decided she was going to give me popcorn. That wouldn't have been bad... but she decided 100 calorie popcorn because I'm fat... Additional, it was a pack of 8 and I only got seven. There was supposed to be spices to go with it, but she changed her mind the day before. So she spent like... 3 dollars on me, and I spent 30, I got her the thing she wanted.

I've never been one to complain about a present, but that one was just upsetting. I've never really been disappointed in a gift. There have been ones I don't like, but I knew the intention. My sisters intention wasn't there.

I'm sorry. That really sounds bad. :(
impact777

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 pm

For Christmas gift swapping at work, I received a rock (yes, a rock) with a small snail statue on top. The two pieces were joined together by a screw.

I think it's meant to be a paper weight, because I can find no other purpose for it...
Sammy Boy

Postby SierraLea » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:58 pm

I got an apple core for a present!

It was a styrafoam apple core ornament, meant to sybalize the most important thing I did this year, joining the youth leader ship team at my church called the CORE team. It took me a while to get the reference.
SierraLea

Postby Peanut » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:36 pm

The worst Kwanzaa gift I ever got was an unremarkable novel that I never bothered to read and whose title escapes me. I could dig it up but its not worth it.
Peanut

Postby Neane » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:08 am

All I got was this from my now 30 year old brother from another father:

Neane

Postby Xeno » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Not sure if I already posted this in another thread of or not, but I got an Irish bankroll from my parents. If you're wondering what an Irish bankroll is, I'll show you:
Xeno

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:14 am

My brother gave me the art of manliness......

I should have written that first.
Jingo Jaden

Postby Cap'n Nick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:07 pm

When I was much younger but not nearly young enough to excuse my behavior, my aunt got me a VHS tape of Free Willy 3. I said "What the heck is this crap!?" and stormed out of the room. It's a wonder she still gets me anything.
Cap'n Nick

Postby christianfriend » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Before I say what my weirdest Christmas gift was, I have to tell you that most of the time my family finds funny boxes and containers to wrap presents in. Such as toilet paper boxes for big gifts, cereal boxes for medium and X-Lax box's for things like gift cards. Oh, and we love gag gifts. So, now knowing that....the weirdest gift I got was..a tape dispenser. Actually, me and my twin BOTH got one at the same time from my Grandma's creepy boyfriend at the time. We were 12. We laughed at first when we saw the box and were like "Oh haha, I wonder what could be in here??" Welll....we soon found out it really was, a tape dispenser. And he was totally serious! Not a gag gift, lol. XD We weren't the only ones who got weird gifts that Christmas...he got my Grandma a giant rubbery suit you would use to wade in a swamp or something. It was a laugh though X3 Fun memories.
christianfriend

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 pm

I got a giant bank shaped like a robot. And it's metallic.

For stocking stuffers this year I got a bunch of things like socks, disposable shavers, toothbrushes and toothpaste. .... The socks were pretty cool. They had skulls and crossbones on them.

My aunt got a grab-bag of food, like whole-grain pasta, balsamic vinegar, and a really expensive and nice cocoa mix. Good stuff, but strange altogether.
Atria35

Return to General