What musical instrument do you play?

Talk about anything in here.

What musical instrument do you play?

Postby SilverToast » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:35 am

Are there any musicians in the forum? Or anyone who plays or has played a musical instrument?
I'm just curious.

I'm not much of a musician myself. I've played viola for 5 years and own a violin. Now I just mess around with a midi music composition program called Musescore. You can never have enough baritone saxophones! haha
[color="Red"]@[/color])}~`,~
Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators
SilverToast

Postby samurai10 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:41 am

I'm a musician!

I've been playing violin for four years, and I'm getting pretty good at it. I play piano as well, but I play violin better.

My sister, who's also on the forum but doesn't come on very much, is also a musician. She's in charge of two church choirs, and is in college, majoring in piano performance. So yeah... ^^/
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:51 am

pianist here! Been playing since I was four. If I could set up video equipment in the piano room, I'd share
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby sarahjoy78 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:00 am

I've always wanted to play the piano!!!!! I've been singing ever since I was four and I've been playing the gutair for five years now. :D
[SIZE="3"]If we gotta start somewhere why not here?
If we gotta start sometime why not now?[/SIZE]
sarahjoy78

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:07 am

Dabled in the piano and played violin when I was 4 (and stopped when i was 4 1/2 :P) hopefully starting norvember I will start the cello like I have wanted to since the beginning of this year but lacked the funds to afford.
/summon Alucard on those who need a hug
shinpaku alliance: Metolosophy, Ace33Wing, Diamond Dragon, Ally-Ann and Broly Ultimatrix
http://www.bronyland.com/pony-personality-test/?q=NDg2MHw1MTgwMzM
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby Cadence » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 am

I've played the violin and piano for most of my life, though I like the violin better. I'm a violin performance major. I enjoy playing orchestral and chamber music more than solo stuff, though. I've dabbled in viola and organ, and led a church choir for a while, though I'm really not much of a singer.

I've always wanted to learn how to play the oboe - I think it is an incredibly beautiful instrument.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Xeno » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:13 am

I used to play Bb Clarinet from grade 7 through grade 12. I've touched it maybe once or twice in the seven years since I graduated. I have the clarinet in my storage unit in it's case, hopefully harsh weather hasn't done anything bad to it as it is actually made from wood and not one of the plastic ones that are more common these days.
Xeno

Postby SierraLea » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 pm

I dabble in Piano, alto recorder, and guitar.
My main instrument is my voice, and it takes just as much training to make your vocal cords sound good as it does to make a violin sing straight. Therefore, I think it qualifies as an instrument.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Druxcian » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 pm

I played flute several years ago.. not the instrument for me. I was horrendous.
But flutes are very expensive, so we're planning on cleaning it and selling it..
Last edited by Druxcian on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
Druxcian

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:32 pm

Once upon a time I played the trumpet. I also played the piano, but quit when I realized I'd never be able to stretch my hands enough to play octaves properly.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:40 pm

I played guitar in the highschool jazz big band for 2 years, nothing of significance. Took some music in college and studied classical guitar but I haven't played it in two years, when I was a kid the first intrument that I played was the Zither, It's sorta like a pedal steel guitar only it is not. I don't like electric guitars dispite having owned such great instruments like an ES-335, the total control over what sound you're actually producing is reduced to something handed off to the electronics, not yourself. I want the control by making the sound, and not by adjusting knobs/pedals/switches/etc.

So the only instrument that I play regularly is an acoustic guitar.
Neane

Postby metolosophy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm

*obsessive band nerd here*
I've been into piano since I was five, a congregated band since fourth grade, and marching, jazz, and competitive concert band since eighth grade. I play trumpet as my basis instrument, but the list of instruments I've learned to play over the years is this (in order of how good I can play them):
trumpet (know b flat and e flat trumpet, and the 4-valve piccolo)
upright bass
french horn (mellophone)
piano
sousaphone
cello
euphonium (baritone)
soprano saxophone (for jazz band)
bass drum (2nd and 3rd drum- for the fun of cadences one summer)
and tuned percussion (this includes timpani, marimba, bells, xylophone, vibraphone...etc.).
So, that's about 20 separate instruments total. ^L^
Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

metolosophy

Postby Vii » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:34 pm

I've been taking private piano lessons for seven years, I think (I can't remember exactly when I started.) I take the Royal Conservatory Piano Exams each year, so I guess I'm classically trained.

I've also been taking voice lessons for the past two years. And I've been teaching myself ukulele.

I really want to fiddle around with a marimba. They're so similar to pianos. And saxophone. I'd love to play the saxophone.
Vii

Postby Okami » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm a vocalist. Was in choir for six years prior to college and now just enjoy singing along to music. I'd been in choir so long before college I decided I didn't want to continue its pursuit (which works in my favor now, as the days I work conflict with the choir schedule). I also have an egg shaker that I enjoy playing. It mostly sits in my backpack though, because I'd rather play it with a live group than alone or to recorded music. Sometimes I'll play around with it though. Nothing professional, by any means. I'd love to play some other instruments, like the guitar or drums, but my cerebral palsy makes that a slim chance of ever happening.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm a pianist/keyboardist, classically trained; I started taking lessons when I was six or seven, and I've played ever since (though I have slackened off the last couple years, unfortunately). For a while, I was playing backup keyboard for my church, but now it's mostly for my own benefit.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby QtheQreater » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Piano. I started at about 5 and had 13 years of lessons. I don't think I've touched ivory for about a year now...a situation that needs to be remedied. I love playing music.

I own an electric guitar and a saxophone, and I can get them to make bad chords and dying goose noises, respectively.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby PrincessZelda » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:29 pm

I play the guitar. Started playing when I was 13. Used to play in a couple bands, but now I don't... really play much at all :\ Been meaning to pick it up again, because I love it.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby SilverToast » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:45 pm

oh wow I didn't expect so many replies in 1 day. I didn't realize there would be so many people with talent and/or experience with musical instruments here either. :n_n:

Maybe we can get our own music section on CAA like the art section that is on here. That would be cool.
edit
oh never mind I forgot about the jam session.
SilverToast

Postby Vilo159 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Man, and I though Meto and I were alone here! Awesome that there are so many of you!
I play all kinds of saxes for band and jazz, have for four years and been firsst chair I. County honor band for three of them, and I plan on majoring in it. I play French horn for concert band, I dabble in piano enough to play cords and songs I like, I sing, I can play a few songs on ukelele, I can play bass drum in drumline, and I've always wanted to play tenors. I'm pretty good at all the mallet instruments too, like marimba and vibraphone. As for what I pretend to play: I know fingerings for any brass instrument and can be ready to play them with an hour or so of practice. I prefer euphonium. I can play clarinet and flute similarly. I really wish I played cello or bass, and I have rudimentary ideas of them, but I would need some lessons. I also would like to learn oboe and bassoon, but that's a distant hope. I've also wanted to learn guitar, but havent had time to learn more than a chord or two.
Vilo159

Postby AdriTan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:56 pm

According to my dad I could pick out harmonies in a song and sing them since I was seven (I don't remember haha it seems like I've always been able to do that)

I play a little guitar, but my fingers don't stretch very well and are small so I can't do much really. And I started piano class this year at school (much less finger stretching involved) and am moving quickly along ^.^
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 pm

I play guitar and piano and I sing. I play in the praise band at one church and lead worship at another. Leading worship while switching between two languages AND two instruments is hard. And we've got some Spanish speakers who started coming to our church so I'm trying to pick up a third singing/speaking language.

I am capable of playing the bass but I'm not so great at it. I've also got a violin that I can screech out a song or two on but I'm pretty bad at that too. Mostly I stick with guitar and piano.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Garland » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:07 am

I play alto sax, panflute, and piano. I need to work on my piano though, mostly on the chords and theory. I also played clarinet enough that I could go to France for a band trip with my high school band.

As for singing, I've been working on harmonizing, as I have a weird voice range for quite a few songs. I want to link my singing and my playing together mentally because I think it would help both.

I can usually tell what chords are coming next in a song based on the style and progression, but I don't know what chords or progressions they are. It helps for singing and whistling, but not for instruments as much, because I cannot translate into notes. My mental processes for instruments have two categories. The deciding factor is whether I started playing them using notes or by ear. I'd like to be able to meld the two ways of playing music together. I really have no idea how to work on it though...
Garland

Location: Somewhere between a machine's logic and a person's consciousness

Postby Ally-Ann » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:16 am

I play the piano and I sing. I think I'm a better singer than I am a pianist. I have a decently-developed opera voice compared to a lot of other singers my age, but I'm still mastering voice.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby eightluvver888 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Well I used to play piano... Not so much anymore.
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby jep'ray » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:18 pm

I've been doing percussion for many years, marching Bass drums to bass pan Steel drums. I used to play piano, but I've lost that touch...
jep'ray

Postby Rewin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:34 pm

I played saxaphone in school. Started with the alto then went to bass and finally settled on tenor which was my favorite. Unfortunately the alto is the only one that was actually mine and is my least favorite.
I'm also self taught on both the electric guitar and bass. I'm not very good on either though probably slightly better on guitar. However I usually identify myself as a bassist as I prefer it and it seems to fit my personality better. Either way I'm sure I have enough bad habits with both to make any true musician cringe. :)
Mmmmmm, bacon.....
Rewin

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:16 am

I was taught piano for 4 years during school. That was my introduction to church bands - I was doing (secondary) keyboard in worship bands for about 3 years. There were quite a few years where I didn't play, but it's something I don't want to neglect, so I occasionally play around a bit by myself.
I really only learnt proper music (theory/practice) for the first year of high school.

After school, I decided to learn bass guitar, which I've been playing for pretty much 8 years. That's definitely my primary instrument now. I play it in church bands regularly and sometimes some extra events like camp worship bands and even a few one-off jazz bands, which are always fun.

At the start of the year, I started teaching myself guitar, so I'm still very much starting out. It's the one I'm focussing on learning, and I've now got an acoustic and electric (hollow body).

I wish I could play cello and drums.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Cleanedbyblood » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:31 am

I play clarinet (both the regular and bass clarinets), I can sort of play the piano (I'm still working on getting the coordination right with both hands) and am learning to play the guitar (I'm in week 5 of a 7 week course at my church)
Cleanedbyblood

Postby Cleanedbyblood » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 am

I play the clarinet and bass clarinet. I am working on getting used to using both hands for the piano, and I am going through a guitar class at my church.
Cleanedbyblood

Postby nuni7270 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:52 pm

I play the guitar and a little piano. Drives my neighbors crazy. :XD:
nuni7270

Next

Return to General