Favorite Bible character

Talk about anything in here.

Favorite Bible character

Postby akorecki1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:35 am

Hey everyone I am not sure where this would go per say so I am putting it in the general place. The question i wanted to ask was what is your favorite Bible character(s)(other then Jesus and God). Mine would be David or John the Baptist.
You can die at any time living takes real courage. - Someone of FMA

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.

Always be yourself unless you can be a unicorn then always be a unicorn.:rock:
akorecki1

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:18 am

Benaiah. He was awsome. Him and Othniel.
(Benaiah could also be considered the deadliest moe character in the Bible. Look him up and seeif you can find out why. XD)
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:24 am

OT:
Moses
David
Sarah (anyone who would laugh at God has to be good)
Ezekiel
Daniel
Isaiah
Michael
NT:
Jesus (of course!)
Virgin Mary
Mary Magdalene
Peter
Paul
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Gigavine » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:47 am

Definitely Jeremiah and Job! They really went through a lot of hard times, but they never always were diligent to preach the truth of God.
Gigavine

Postby Seto_Sora » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:28 pm

David, particularly when he was King David because he loved God soooo passionately! and the Apostle Paul because he lived his life, body and soul, for Christ! And these weren't perfect men either, I relate to them... and their struggles very much so. And Job, because he was a broken man who loved the Lord.
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Job
Joseph
Moses
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Seto_Sora » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Oh yeah! and Boaz! because he got the fairytale romance!!!! <3 <3 <3

edit: which would also mean of course Ruth as well. ^_^ lucky guy.
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Neane » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Joshua
David
Abraham
Solomon
Ezra
Daniel
Jonathan
John the Baptist
The Virgin Mary
Peter
Neane

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Don't think I need to mention Jesus. Or the more protagonist-like figures of the bible. So here we got some more controversial stuff.

Now, I've always been fascinated by Pontius Pilatus. There are many interpretations of the man, from an iron fist type of ruler to an ultimately sympathetic, yet pressured governor. *Judea was probably the most unruly roman occupied province ever.* I view him mostly as the latter.

I also have taken interest in the figure known as Dismas, or the penitent thief. I imagine the man to be more of a brigand, who did some pretty bad stuff during his life, but was forgiven for understanding that he was wrong and that his punishment was warranted, and that Jesus is what was good in the world.

There is of course also the short story of the guard who was trying to commit suicide. But, was stopped by the disciples. Where it is mentioned that God converted the power of evil into good, which I find to be one of the more interesting parts of the bible.

And of course, the betrayer Judas. Which I ultimately harbor a sympathetic view towards *Can't say he did not regret his actions.* In many ways, he represents to me what can happen with man if living under rough circumstances for prolonged periods of time, or even how easy it is to succumb to a moments insanity, if it seems to end a conflict that has taken a heavy personal toil. It is very easy to condemn a figure like Judas, when so many would have done the same, even for a lesser price. In a way, all knowing sins is selling out God often for something worth less than 30 pieces of silver. While his case is ultimately between himself and God, I think it is valuable, to not assume the better of yourself just because one has not committed a certain offense. This is not to say that one should be blind to the actual actions that occur or the consequences that must follow, but that ultimately Judas was human which we all are, and thus, capable of betrayal.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Adorima » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:08 pm

I owned the Picture Bible guys.

Old school man.

Probably:
Adam and Eve: (they were great sinners kicked out of the garden, yet they still worshiped God...it's a little credit to them compared to the fact that God made them know him and they were the way humans were supposed to be, before. But they're an interesting couple.)
Joseph
Moses
Jacob
King Solomon: Even though he was a philanderer, I love the fact that he chose wisdom above all things to have as a gift...though we could call him very stupid because he failed acting on that wisdom with his many wives.
King David: Great sinner who was after the Lord's heart.
Jonathan: Best friend. Tempted to name my twin sons (if I ever have twin sons) David and Jonathan.
The Prophet Nathan: good overseer of how David conducted himself during his reign.
Mordecai: I love him because he was so brave.
The Prophet Samuel: Scary, but a righteous man.
The Prophet Daniel

New Testament:

All righteous the Roman centurions. The one with a very sick servant whom Jesus healed, Cornelius, guy at the foot of the cross, "Truely this was the son of God," and I'd like to think Theophilus was one too.
Love those Roman stories (see Francine Rivers, Mark of the Lion series)

The repentant theif at the crucifixion.
St. John the Beloved.
Lazarus
St. Paul the Apostle for his "uneloquent wisdom" and his far-reaching ministry to the gentiles.
St. Peter the buffoon after Jesus' heart.
St. Mark the Gentile
St. Joseph the husband of Mary and the stepfather of Jesus.
The Blessed Virgin Mary, because she cares for me too, up to this day.
St. Mary Magdalene the penitent...

Last but not least, let's not forget our angels.
St. Micheal the Archangel.
St. Gabriel the Archangel
St. Raphael the Archangel.

And all those other angels for whose names we cannot understand. Esp, the one whom I call Julius - my own guardian angel.
Adorima

Postby Nate » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Lot. He was a friendly dude and anyone who would offer his own daughters to a sex-hungry mob instead of the random strangers he literally met ten minutes before takes a lot more willpower than I think I would have. I guess his daughters got their revenge on him in that cave for him offering them up though so I suppose it...worked out in the end?

Ehud. He may very well have been the creator of the one-liner. If you don't know about Ehud and his great story, read Judges 3 starting at verse 12. Total awesomeness and hilarity. He's like the Arnold...well okay, his one-liner is pretty good, but not Arnold level good. He's the Jack Slate of the Bible. That's better.

Elisha. 2 Kings 2, verses 23 and 24. That's all you need to know.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheMewster » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Mine? Paul and Peter are my favorite non-God/Jesus Bible people.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Neane » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:10 pm

I am quite surprised that Elijah has not been mentioned.
Neane

Postby Seto_Sora » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Adorima (post: 1516775) wrote:I owned the Picture Bible guys.

Old school man.

I owned the picture Bible too!!! Wasn't it sooo cool!? XD I remember spending hours pouring over that Bible!

Neane (post: 1516784) wrote:I am quite surprised that Elijah has not been mentioned.

So Neane, does that mean Elijah is your fav?
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Neane » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Seto_Sora (post: 1516786) wrote:I owned the picture Bible too!!! Wasn't it sooo cool!? XD I remember spending hours pouring over that Bible!

So Neane, does that mean Elijah is your fav?

Yes he is.
Also One of the Most Important Characters in the Bible.

Also, I owned the Picture Bible too and my Nephew loves it.
Neane

Postby Okami » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:36 pm

I'll try to keep both testaments brief. Since I like mostly obscure characters that most people don't care about or overlook. XD

OT -
Ebed-Melech, the Ethiopian Eunuch who helps Jeremiah out of the pit when he is left to die (Jer. 38)
I also love Jeremiah - faithful to God, serving Him when times couldn't really be any worse, yet showing his humanity when he questions God's justice (Jer. 12) ...After the studies I've done on the book, Jeremiah has become my favorite prophet. (Although Micaiah - 1Kings 22/2Chron. 18 - is a close second!)
King Josiah - He was the first real king to set up true Torah reforms in 2 Kings 23...it's sad how he eventually came to die, though. :( Every time I read it (2 Kgs 23:29-30) I'm practically screaming at my Bible, "Josiah, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!"
King Manasseh - It often amazes me that people only see his pagan wickedness in 2 Kings 21, but then don't look to the rest of the story in 2 Chronicles 33, especially vv. 12-13)

NT -
Paul - Probably the most known of the Bible characters I like. He's just a rad guy. I know I've been reading too many of his epistles when I start signing things with 'grace and peace' ...not that that's a bad thing! ;) Plus he wasn't afraid to rebuke Peter where he needed a kick in the pants. (Gal. 2:11-13)
Lydia! - The chick who dealt in purple cloth. This woman's got it made and I like her! XD (Acts 16:14)
Pricilla and Aquila - quite possibly my favorite Biblical married couple outside of Hosea and Gomer. These two were central figures in Paul's ministry. (Romans 16:3)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Sheenar » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Ehud is pretty awesome, Nate. Also Jael (or Yael, depending on the translation) in Judges 4. Judges has some pretty awesome characters, period.

Elijah --especially the story of his "contest" with the Baal worshipers on Mount Carmel. And Elisha and Hosea.

Also, Peter. He is brash and often puts his foot in his mouth in the Gospels (and even denies he even knows Jesus at one point), but Jesus uses him to found the church --"And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." Shows that Jesus can use anyone and the awesomeness of restoration.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Adorima » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Seto_Sora (post: 1516786) wrote:I owned the picture Bible too!!! Wasn't it sooo cool!? XD I remember spending hours pouring over that Bible!

T'was, T'was indeed. I did the very same thing. Really opened up my heart to the humanity of these great men and women who've walked before us. Especially the confuddled faces of the Apostles. :n_n:

Jesus: "I have bread that you do not know about."
Peter :o
Andrew :(
James :wow!:

Well, I just flipped through my old Picture Bible right now and realized there were no close-ups in that part of the apostles faces. But there were enough close-ups in other parts to mesmerize. Even the random guy in the back had a facial expression :).

Neane (post: 1516788) wrote:Yes he is.
Also One of the Most Important Characters in the Bible.

Also, I owned the Picture Bible too and my Nephew loves it.

It's a great introductory tool for evangelization. Me and my parents are planning on getting one for my brother-in-law to be. He's not Christian but we took him to mass one Easter and he was reading about the Crufixion in a very interested way. See, if we pray there is hope. And there is always a God-shaped hole in each of our souls.
Adorima

Postby timothy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:20 am

Well to be honest my favorite person to read about is Samson i love to read of him its just so much fun so he might be my favorite i really dont know though : )
timothy

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Barnabas
Sammy Boy

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm a big fan of Methuselah and the virgin Mary. They and Elijah were the only full-human, non-deity to be taken up into heaven and not taste death (or most people will at least say Elijah was, depending on who you ask). Talk about holy people who walked with God
ABlipinTime

My Addition

Postby Gigavine » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:49 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1518289) wrote:I'm a big fan of Methuselah and the virgin Mary. They and Elijah were the only full-human, non-deity to be taken up into heaven and not taste death (or most people will at least say Elijah was, depending on who you ask). Talk about holy people who walked with God

Methuselah did taste death at age 969, but Enoch was taken from earth at over 300. And there is no real Biblical record of Mary never dying, but she indeed pleased God Almighty like barely any teenage female ever did in their life. She is definitely a candidate for my favorite female Bible character, and she is very discredited by my fellow Protestants. If this thread gets moved, I will take all the blame.
Gigavine

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:12 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1518289) wrote:I'm a big fan of Methuselah and the virgin Mary. They and Elijah were the only full-human, non-deity to be taken up into heaven and not taste death (or most people will at least say Elijah was, depending on who you ask). Talk about holy people who walked with God

If you don't mind my asking (and if it's alright to ask this in General), are you Catholic or Greek Orthodox? This and a few other posts of yours have made me rather curious.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Re: Favorite Bible character

Postby LupoRedgrave » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Jesus
Jeremiah
Moses
Aaron
Jonah
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
Abel
Enoch
...Proverbs 4:18...
LupoRedgrave

Postby Lynna » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Elijah was definitely one of the most inspiring Old Testament Prophets. He's definitely one of my favorites.
There are really so many that I like, it's so hard to choose. And all those people who play very small roles, too! It's impossible to mention them all, really.
Lynna

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Lets please try to stick to posting in threads under half a year old.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby SierraLea » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:30 am

Mine is Ester for the girls and Mary's husband Joseph for the guys. I think he gets the short end of the stick way too much because people tend to forget him while honoring Mary.
SierraLea

Postby randomuser2349 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 pm

The oxen.
randomuser2349

Postby phantomeofanime » Mon May 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Mine is david, and peter, they are both so brave for what they did
PhantomEofAnime
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson...they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary...you can't gain anything without losing something first. Although...if you can endure that pain, and walk away from it...you will find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle.....yeah...a heart made fullmetal." -- Fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood.

"Never Judge a peron by their past, you should always love them in the present and help them in the future." -- Me

"It was good for me to be afflicted, so that I might learn your decrees." -- Psalm 119:71
phantomeofanime

Re: My Addition

Postby Nate » Tue May 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Gigavine wrote:she indeed pleased God Almighty like barely any teenage female ever did in their life.

oh god

god why

i am dying of laughter

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Next

Return to General