What should I expect from my first Con?

Talk about anything in here.

What should I expect from my first Con?

Postby sandalwood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:54 am

My parents got me my Christmas present early - a ticket to Animazement 2012~ and I'm so excited!

I'm just wondering if I can get some advice from you guys, assuming you've been to at least one con. If not, you can still share stories or advice you've heard.

This will be the first time I've ever been to a con. It's held about four and a half hours from where I live and I'll be driving alone. I will be staying at a friend's house (she's the reason I'm going, pretty much). I say these things so that you will not mention crazy carpooling or hotel reservations, which I won't really be experiencing this time around.

Anyway, are the lines to get in really long even if I already have a ticket?

Mostly, is there anything I should know not to say or do? Is there anything "they don't tell you" about cons that I should know about? Just share your stories and experiences to help me out please!

Specific question: I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and when I'm in a public place/traveling I have to use the bathroom at least every hour and ten minutes or I get anxious/panicky. Is this a realistic goal at a con or are the lines more than an hour long to get places? Thank you!
:pikka: My DeviantART :pikka:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(╯°__°)╯︵ ┻━┻ - Mark 11: 15-17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"]~Life doesn't have to be perfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]believe[/color] in God.
~It doesn't have to be imperfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]need[/color] Him.[/SIZE][/font]
sandalwood

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 am

sandalwood (post: 1516165) wrote:Anyway, are the lines to get in really long even if I already have a ticket?

This depends on the con and the time you arrive. If you have your actual ticket, entry generally isn't too bad, but if you still need to claim the ticket (will call) the lines can be rather notable, depending on how many people are attending and how organized the convention is.

sandalwood (post: 1516165) wrote:Mostly, is there anything I should know not to say or do? Is there anything "they don't tell you" about cons that I should know about? Just share your stories and experiences to help me out please!

Always ask before taking pictures and especially before touching people with costumes (NO SURPRISE GLOMPING). Cosplayers have schedules at cons sometimes and may not be want to stop for pictures (or may have to adjust their costume before they let you shoot). the do not touch without permission rule comes from the fact that some costumes are either fragile or difficult to fix if someone accidentally damages them.

sandalwood (post: 1516165) wrote:Specific question: I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and when I'm in a public place/traveling I have to use the bathroom at least every hour and ten minutes or I get anxious/panicky. Is this a realistic goal at a con or are the lines more than an hour long to get places? Thank you!

Lines can be more than an hour long, but this really depends on the convention, and what you're in line for. The con I've gone to (Anime Expo) it's expected that lines for smaller events will be 30 minutes before the event and major events, like movie debuts or major interviews can have people in line for several hours.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby sandalwood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:18 am

Uh-oh - do you always have to ask before taking pictures? I was hoping to be able to snap people secretly while they weren't looking... is that not allowed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"]~Life doesn't have to be perfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]believe[/color] in God.
~It doesn't have to be imperfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]need[/color] Him.[/SIZE][/font]
sandalwood

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:19 am

Asking before taking pictures is a big rule for cosplayers. It allows them to take a moment to get in character and strike a good pose.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby goldenspines » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:39 am

sandalwood (post: 1516171) wrote:Uh-oh - do you always have to ask before taking pictures? I was hoping to be able to snap people secretly while they weren't looking... is that not allowed?
It's not that it's not allowed, but it's simply proper etiquette.
You can go rushing around trying to get good pictures of people, but you'll end up seeming like a stalker/crazed fan. Most if not all cosplayers will absolutely love it when you ask to take their picture. Many of them put TONS of hours and money into putting their outfits together, so having a picture taken is a reward for their hard work. And like K-chan mentioned, they usually have poses or interactions with other characters (if in a group) to get into before the picture. They want your picture to look awesome, so don't waste your time trying to run around and snap stalker photos. XD You'll get better ones if you just ask. :3

(not in the middle of a walkway, though! That's the worst place to pose for a pic)

As a protip, stay away from room parties (if the con is at a hotel). Sometimes they're okay (like, if it's with people you know and trust before coming to the con), but most of the time, they're bad news.
goldenspines

Postby sandalwood » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:47 am

goldenspines (post: 1516184) wrote:It's not that it's not allowed, but it's simply proper etiquette.
You can go rushing around trying to get good pictures of people, but you'll end up seeming like a stalker/crazed fan. Most if not all cosplayers will absolutely love it when you ask to take their picture. Many of them put TONS of hours and money into putting their outfits together, so having a picture taken is a reward for their hard work. And like K-chan mentioned, they usually have poses or interactions with other characters (if in a group) to get into before the picture. They want your picture to look awesome, so don't waste your time trying to run around and snap stalker photos. XD You'll get better ones if you just ask. :3

As a protip, stay away from room parties (if the con is at a hotel). Sometimes they're okay (like, if it's with people you know and trust before coming to the con), but most of the time, they're bad news.

I won't be at a hotel thank goodness XD A friend of mine lives in Raleigh so I'm staying with her. Not to mention I hate parties...

I'll try to ask people but I know I'll also want some random pictures of everyone all at once/the convention center/someone across the room from me/etc. to show my parents. lol but I'll try not to do that too much and appear stalkerish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sandalwood

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:47 am

Also, cosplayers really appreciate when you stop and ask them if you can take their picture. In a way, it tells them that you recognized the character and appreciate the effort put into making their costumes.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:03 pm

sandalwood (post: 1516165) wrote:Anyway, are the lines to get in really long even if I already have a ticket?

Mostly, is there anything I should know not to say or do? Is there anything "they don't tell you" about cons that I should know about? Just share your stories and experiences to help me out please!

Specific question: I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and when I'm in a public place/traveling I have to use the bathroom at least every hour and ten minutes or I get anxious/panicky. Is this a realistic goal at a con or are the lines more than an hour long to get places? Thank you!

I know that for ACen, as long as you're wearing your badge, you can get in anyplace no problem right away. It works differently at other cons, probably, though- I've never gone anyplace that needed a ticket.

Cons are busy, busy places. There will be lines for the bathroom, so don't wait until the last minute to go. You will *not* be able to go exactly when you need to at least 95% of the time. Assume a 5 minute wait.

Are the lines to get into places an hour long? Mmmm. Not usually, but they can be for certain events. Some events will be over an hour long, and if you leave you will have to get back into line to get back into it if there's a people limit.
Atria35

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Give yourself a good lead for a meet and greet event or panel. Those lines are long and the last time I got in line for an autograph signing, they actually cut off access after a certain amount of people. Plus for panels, you want to get a good seat.

Good lead is probably about 40 minutes before the event starts. If you find the door leading to the event and 12 people are already parked along the wall, that's your cue to join 'em.

K. Ayato

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:31 pm

I've only ever been to one small con, but I did find out one thing. If your friends and you cannot agree on an event, just go to what you want to. You'll regret not going to a panel or screening that you really wanted to see.

HAVE FUN!!!! :D
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Dante » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:55 pm

From what I've experienced (1 anime con and 1 furry con) - hopefully tons of fun... Unless the printers fail. But even after that! Tons of fun! Go with friends - the goofier, more adventurous and happier the better; it makes it infinitely more fun.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby DaughterOfZion » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Drink tons of water. At my con it never fails, we always have at least one person pass out from dehydration, and we've only had probably 4,000 attendees tops. Don't be that guy. ;D
If you plan on buying much make sure to bring enough money, the ATM's almost always run out of money. I'd also say, try to avoid buying con food (I'm talking concessions, not imported japanese food) as much as possible. The food is almost always over-priced.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:11 pm

Same with the vending machines. Stay away from them.

K. Ayato

Postby Xeno » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Another recommendation when it comes to food is to try to eat heathy. You're going to be on your feet all day/multiple days, so while it might be tempting to grab a cheeseburger because it's quick and cheap it's going to take it's toll on you in a crowded room while standing around. Last thing you want is getting the "bubble-gut" or something similar while in the dealer room. Other than that I don't have much else to say about cons as I don't attend them anymore.
Xeno

Postby alma » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Great thread guys.
Thanks, I am learning a lot too.
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."John 17:3 (NASB)
"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”John 13:35
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/alma01
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
alma

Postby Dante » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Oh. And one more thing. If it's out of town, you can expect stomach troubles. Bring some Pepto-Bismo chewable tablets - hopefully nothing happens, but if something does at the Con hotel, those little tablets help a bundle (or someone else if they end up getting sick). Either way, you only need the off-brand version and if you get sick, you'll be happy to be back on your feet in a shorter period of time, or able to get the rest you need for the next day.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby ashfire » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Been a some years since I have been to Animazment. One thing for me was staying in the hotel it was hosted in with my anime club. I can remember staying at two different hotels one in Raleigh and another near Raleigh/Durham Airport.
One thing I learned was to bring things you may need with you so if you need something like batteries, don't buy them from the hotel shop. I got took there because they sold me some that they must have grabbed out of someones personal items and when I went to use them they were dead and outdated. I should have demanded my money back but I figured it was their word over mine.
One thing about going to a con is to be prepared for anything. I have taken hand sanitizer, a Johnson's and Johnson's first aid kit. Most cons have someone for medical if something happens but having a few bandaids doesn't hurt.
If you check Con Horror Stories you might see things at any con.
One thing is to find things to enjoy and have fun.
Who knows you may want to cosplay next time you go to a con.
The time of travel you say it will take you to get there is almost close to what it would take for me to travel from Wash DC area to Durham.
One thing was going to Durham was that I have family down there but I stayed at the hotel. Last time I went I traveled south of Durham to a small town I lived in as a child before my father was transfered to Wash DC.
ashfire

Postby sandalwood » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks everyone, this is really great :D

Hearing all this, I'm so glad I'm not staying in a hotel lol I'm mooching off my friend - it's like a 5 minute drive from her house haha

Still though - I'm nervous about the whole bathroom thing O_O

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sandalwood

Postby seaglass27 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:10 pm

[quote="DaughterOfZion (post: 1516301)"]Drink tons of water. At my con it never fails, we always have at least one person pass out from dehydration, and we've only had probably 4,000 attendees tops. Don't be that guy. ]

"My con"? You run your own convention?
seaglass27

Postby alma » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Otaku Jordan (post: 1516482) wrote:"My con"? You run your own convention?

:lol::lol:
I think you are funny (you always make me laugh) and I think you know what she means :n_n:
I am sure she loves the convention she goes to.
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."John 17:3 (NASB)
"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”John 13:35
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/alma01
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
alma

Postby DaughterOfZion » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:28 pm

I just have a great affection for the convention I attend. :p It was my very first convention ever, and I have been with it ever since it became a con. Went the year it began and haven't missed a year yet. It's like calling your house "my house/home" technically it's your parent's not your's but you still take ownership of it.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
DaughterOfZion

Postby bakura91 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Animazements an excellent con Ive gone every year since 2005! The lines seem to go by pretty fast actually. The Dealers room is huge I actually prefer it to the Otakon one since its easier to navigate! Panels are very easy to get into the only huge line I ever see at Animazement is when there is a main Concert event. And the people are super nice!
bakura91

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Cosplay and crossplay...... Horrible, horrible cosplay and crossplay........
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby ashfire » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:59 pm

I hope you get your money's worth for Animazment. I went to AnimeUSA this morning. Paid $48.00 for one day, didn't get to see the AMV contest because there was a problem with showing it. The dealers room didn't have many vendors I would have like to see, artist alley and the art show wasn't very much.
Most I got done was have a sword dealer tell me a sword that my father found on a junk heap was a made in Italy and not Japan and buy a couple of anime.
The Hyatt Hotel in Arlington VA is kinda strange hotel for a anime con because of its different levels to host one and the dealers area wraps around the elevators and other inner structures of the building.
It has been used by many cons but after you attend others it is just strange.
I spent about three hours there and left.
Otakon, Nekocon and Katsucon (For A Day) have been pretty good and if I had the time I would attend Animazment again.
ashfire

Postby sandalwood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Wow, all of this is awesome advice! Thanks bakura, now I feel better :)

One more question real quick: should I bring only one cosplay outfit or are we supposed to change each day? (I know there's no "rule" or anything, just wondering if that's what people normally do)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sandalwood

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:26 pm

There are some who do a different cosplay each day, and some who go the whole convention in just one. Whichever method you choose should be fine. Just make sure they's smelling fresh ;).

K. Ayato

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Do whatever you want to do. The one time I cosplayed I did it one day and then went in regular dress the rest of the time. I have a friend who will do one cosplay the whole weekend, or if she's feeling particularly industrius, will d one per day.

No one really cares as long as- well, K. Ayato said it best- you're not gonna kill someone by standing next to them.
Atria35

Postby seaglass27 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:36 pm

alma (post: 1516507) wrote::lol::lol:
I think you are funny (you always make me laugh) and I think you know what she means :n_n:
I am sure she loves the convention she goes to.

Well, I hate to ruin my status of "funny" but I was dead serious.

People are always laughing at me... *sigh*
seaglass27

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Some people will also go all out Saturday, and just wear something simple on Friday and randomness on Sunday. Sundays you'll see tons of people just wearing whatever they bought in the dealer's room (Ears, tails, character t-shirts). XD
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
DaughterOfZion

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:40 pm

No guarantee he'll be at the con, but beware the man-Faye.

K. Ayato

Next

Return to General