2+2=5

Talk about anything in here.

2+2=5

Postby Rashiir » Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:20 pm

Here's a simple mathematical proof that 2+2=5...

Let a+b=c where a, b, c are real numbers.

a + b = c

Multiply by (5 - 2 - 2):

a(5 - 2 - 2) + b(5 - 2 - 2) = c(5 - 2 - 2)

Distribute:

5a - 2a - 2a + 5b - 2b - 2b = 5c - 2c - 2c

Rearranged, that is:

2a + 2b - 2c + 2a + 2b - 2c = 5a + 5b - 5c

Factor:

2(a+b-c) + 2(a+b-c) = 5(a+b-c)

Divide by (a+b-c):

2 + 2 = 5

There you go. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Is there an error? If you spot one, don't spoil it for everyone else! ;)
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:35 pm

I had to look twice, but I found the error.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby DanekJovax » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:50 pm

I must confess, this is rather clever, but in the end, frought with foundational errors.

I'll stay quiet though. :2)

I think a better coorelation for the "Sum is greater than its parts" can be mathematically noted as thus:

A^B^C > A + B + C

Of course, this only works when A, B, and C are all whole numbers and are greater than 1.

Kind of implies that all must go the extra mile together for the result to be greater than the sum of their efforts.

Just my 3 yen. ;2)
<>< DanekJovax :2) ><>
DanekJovax

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:27 am

That was funny. Something in the back of my head set off a warning bell when I got to... Uh... That point. That's kinda clever!
Mithrandir

Postby Technomancer » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:32 am

Reminds me of a "proof" that was in our highschool math textbooks for the part where they taught induction. It was something similar, like 1+1=3, although it involved series calculations.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Master Kenzo » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:40 am

I FOUND THE ERROR! ITS *Rashiir sticks hand on mouth* mmf-mf-mf!!
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:19 pm

Haven't seen that before. Somewhat clever, though as usual, there is an error hidden within. I wonder if the person who created it slippd the error in intentionally, or if they honestly figured that up?

Reminds me of another "logic" problem. Suppose you have a rabbit and a turtle on a football field, racing to one endzone. The turtle starts on the fifty yard line, and the rabbit on the opposite endzone. Both begin running at the same moment, and the rabbit moves twice as quickly as the turtle. Yet, when the rabbit has reached the 50 yard line, the turtle will have moved on. And when the rabbit reaches the point where the turtle had been, the turtle has moved again! So, therefore, the turtle wins!

Okay, so the instrinsic error is relatively obvious, but I still find it interesting.
uc pseudonym

Postby Rashiir » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:28 pm

Yah, but basically you can "prove" any sum with that proof, depending on what you multiply by.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Return to General