did you know?

Talk about anything in here.

did you know?

Postby Nadeshiko » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:07 am

that the Bible is the most shoplifted book in the United States? :sweat:
I need a new computer, someone give me a dollar.
Nadeshiko

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:09 am

Really? That's strange...of course I think it should be free anyway...don't y'all?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lightbringer » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:10 am

yeah, it would be really nice if it was free, and Id rather somebody steal the Bible then a bottle of booze or something, at least they can get something out of the Bible.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Straylight » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:15 am

http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible

You can pretty much get it free from there.
Trouble is not everyone has an internet connection :shady:
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:21 am

Yeah...and what gets me is how expensive bibles can be...I mean..where the heck does all that money -go-? I mean, I paid darn near $40 for my leather one! It has my name printed on the front, true, but that's free. I don't have a problem paying for a bible like that if the money is going back into the ministry, but how do we know it is?

Also, has anyone ever noticed that there are indeed restrictions for how much of it you can quote? Mine says you're not supposed to quote more than five hundred verses, or a whole book of the bible...I dunno why anyone would quote that much at once, but still. Also it says that you're supposed to put "NIV" after the quotation if you take it from the NIV. o.O; Uh...I guess the translation is copyrighted...?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby madphilb » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:03 pm

The Online Bible used to be free (for the Public Domain texts)... don't know the status of it any more (never cared for the Windows interface).

The old DOS interface for the OLB was pretty killer for it's day. And it was FAST!... I used to WOW people with word searches on really OLD computers.

Oooo Lookie what I found: Online Bible Web page

BTW - as an aside... any of you ever see Paul Hogan in "Almost an Angel?" At one point he steals a Bible from a hotel, then later tells a priest that they should put a quick-reference thing in there to the 10 commandments, "thou shalt not steal".... very funny (reguardless of what you may think of the movie)!

PHIL
madphilb

Postby inkhana » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:20 pm

I never would have guessed...like Aaron said I hope they get something out of it...

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:38 pm

Yeah, Aaron, I guess you have a point. If someone's going to steal something, I can't think of anything that I'd rather see stolen. And, Annette, I agree that Bibles are way overpriced. Actually, come to think of it, much "Christian" merchandise usually is. Sometimes it's no wonder Christians in general get pegged as money-grubbers. I'm sure there really is a reason why stuff is so expensive, I'm just highly doubting it's a really good one.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:47 pm

I know what ya mean Gypsy. Sad, really. I mean, these Christian videos and stuff cost like, $20 or more...that's ridiculous.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:40 pm

Well, since they went to all the trouble of stealing a Bible I think they should keep it. They probably need one really badly anyhow.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:17 pm

one of the things I think a lot about is making Christian murchandise cheaper.
we want to ween people from the worldly stuff, but we charge too much for everything and then all the murchandise is boring or too young , like for our mothers and little brothers/sisters, but nothing for young christains. I would love to see a store called "Extreme Holyrollers" I thought it up as a skate magazione title, but would work for store too. All the murchandise would be for young Christains. Cool music, SAP skate stuff, young clothes, etc. All murchandise would be affordable.

And yes if someone stole from this store .. I would tell them why it was wrong and let them have what they wanted as a gift.
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:33 am

A question would be why they are stealing the Bibles. It's probably the best known book ever, so it's not like you'd think it was a novel. Unless you were just randomly grabbing things and that's what you get. Of course, we've all assumed (and most likely correctly) that these are non-Christians stealing these Bibles...
uc pseudonym

Re: did you know?

Postby Aibou » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:57 am

But someone's got to make money to distribute it...
but it's possible...

Originally posted by Nadeshiko
that the Bible is the most shoplifted book in the United States? :sweat:

by the way, it's the most shoplifted book in the world. (That's what I heard XD )
//HBNU Creations// - Webmanga in the works!
//My DeviantArt// - Check my art ;D
//Everlasting// - My LiveJournal.
Aibou

Postby andyroo » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:40 pm

You know not all bibles are incredibly expensive. I was able to get the KJV paper back at the Dollar Tree where everything costs only $1.00 + tax. :grin: The cover price says $10.00 though. I heard that the Bible is the most sold book in the world (or at least one of the most sold books). I guess it's the most stolen and most bought!

there is an open source project called The SWORD Project and then you can go to their web site to download different versions of the Bible to go with the software that you can download from their project at sourceforge.net.
translations found at http://www.crosswire.org/sword/
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Straylight » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:48 pm

I used to be in a youth group where they gave Bibles away for free, to anyone that asked. In this group most of us used the NIV translation for studies (NIV is the most widely used translation here). For people with a different version this was very useful.

It was one of the things the church budgeted for -- they had some kind of deal with a publisher, so they'd get new deliveries every time the stocks ran low. Pretty cool idea in my opinion.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:24 pm

I'd have thought stealing a bible to be missing the point somehow... Reminds me I need to replace my own (stupid basement flood); Catholic bibles can be hard to get in most bookstores too. I'm a cheap student so I'll probably just download the Douay-Rheims version.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:28 am

You're right about the Bible being the most sold book of all time. That probably isn't going to change either. One person can buy a copy, then one in a different version, and then one in Greek or Hebrew. Then we can get into study Bibles...
uc pseudonym

Return to General