Super Mario RPG

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Super Mario RPG

Postby Gypsy » Sat May 31, 2003 9:38 pm

Well, seeing Inkana's current sig made me think of this unusual Squaresoft game. Square is known for making great RPGs, btw for anyone who didn't know. But this game was very ingenious, I thought. It's fun factor was way up there, and although the fact that the main char was a doofy plumber (never really did care for Mario very much) that didn't say a word, but only nodded Chrono Trigger style - I thought the story moved along pretty good and the gameplay itself was nice and smooth. I also love timed hits, and not only was it on the attack, but you could also defend with a timed hit. Did I mention that I love timed hits already?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Shinja » Sat May 31, 2003 10:10 pm

yes mario rpg is probably one of the best rpgs ive played along with earth bound, and of couse ff3 being number 1. it had both a good story long gameplay and great grafics for a 16 bit system. and yeah the timed hits ive missed in all the other rpgs ive played, i still try to use it even when i cant lol
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby inkhana » Sat May 31, 2003 10:31 pm

Oh, I KNEW there had to be someone else who liked that game!
It's one of my all-time fave RPGs. (and frankly, Gypsy, I'm surprised anyone mentioned it--LOL) Timed hits are awesome...I try to use them when they aren't available, too...:) *sigh* Square should make Mario games. Mario RPG games. Yeah...that's it...:D

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby LorentzForce » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:27 am

even though i never got finish the game entirely (stopped very near the end after collecting all the... you know... just to not to spoil it :P), it was pretty fun :)

times hits were a pretty good idea in my opinion too. and mario not saying anything at all. then again, he didn't have to :) he's the action hero anyway...
LorentzForce

Postby Master Kenzo » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:54 am

That's ironic...cuz I was just playing it yesterday, and beat Booster's Tower too...now I must go through the wedding ceremony all over again *sigh*

great game ^_^
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby nekomi » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:20 am

That really was a great game... I had no idea there was anyone else out there who had actually played it! ^__^ Bowser was classic... and Geno was cool, in a weird way... ^^;; My only complaint is that it's a very short game, about three days to beat tops. (That is, if you're following a normal human sleep pattern. ^_~) But all in all, what a cute game! ^__^ Oh boy, now I want to go play it again... ^^;;
nekomi

BOWSER!

Postby inkhana » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:59 am

Bowser rocks! Although I thought they were all cool (a true rarity in an RPG) I thought Bowser was the best...he was just so arrogant and...like himself. LOL Man, as many times as I've played that game, I wanna play it again! Oh Kenzooooo....the cake is after you...it's aliiiiiiive... ;)

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Spencer » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:32 am

I thought bowser was the funniest, how he got overthrown from his kingdom....:brow: What was the boss' name...uh...Smithy! That was it. He was cool. Very fun game.
:)
Spencer

Postby Gypsy » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:46 pm

Yeah, Geno was cool. He made up for Mallo's lameness. He was about as useful and cool as ... Cait Sith in my opinion. However, Princess could kick much butt if you gave her the right stuff.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Lightbringer » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:08 pm

I love that game too, i figured out all kinds of shortcuts in it, I didn't like Geno , my team was mario bowser and princess. i loved the timed hits too, and yes shinja FF3 RULEZ

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby inkhana » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:06 pm

If you do it right, you can make Toadstool and Bowser practically immune to ANY magic and they can beat the stuffing out of most any bad guy with normal weaponry, too...

*BOOOOM!* Take that Smithy! WAH HAHAHAHAHAHA! or, as Bowser would put it, MWA HA HA HA! LOL

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Shinja » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:07 pm

cool my team was bowser mario and mallow most of the time

mallow owns
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Master Kenzo » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:35 pm

Take that, cake! It's dead now...and I just beat "Giant Calimari"! Hehe...I love SM RPG!
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:40 pm

hmmm...

It appears as though I'm going ot play this game RIGHT NOW. (I remember all the other kids talking about it, but i never had an SNES) But now i do.
Rashiir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:44 pm

That game was a load of fun! :D It was the first RPG I ever played....although some say that it technically isn't an RPG 'cause of the timed hits...but I liked timed hits!

I need to play that game again....maybe.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby inkhana » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:50 pm

It's enough of an RPG for me...and it was the first RPG I ever owned (ok, I got it the same day I got Earthbound, but that's beside the point, I played Mario RPG first). I think more games need timed hits! We should petition for more games with timed hits...

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:03 am

Man, this is a really old thread (comparatively to myself) but I think I'll jump on anyway. Who would have thought there were so many people who liked Super Mario RPG? I couldn't tell you why, but the game was extremely fun.

Speaking of sequels, though, what did you guys think of Paper Mario? It isn't really like the rpg, but it had some of those elements, and (in my opinion) the same "fun" quality.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:11 pm

Paper Mario, to me, is in a separate class to Mario RPG. One of the things that bothered me about Paper Mario was the lack of well-filled-out characters that were only there to lend their abilities and didn't really do much otherwise. (Whereas Mario RPG, all the characters had a certain charm to them and at least to me were quite likeable for their own separate reasons). The storyline was similar, yet it didn't have the same...something (sense of humor, I imagine...it just wasn't as funny overall to me). I don't know what it is for sure. Although Paper Mario is great to play, and the battle engine is good, allowing for less complicated strategies (you only had to watch out for No.1!), an overload of "friends" which, once acquired, fairly much disappeared only to make occasional appearances to cross a gap/deliver a letter/swim through water, etc. I personally think some of them should have been taken out (probably could have been limited to Goombario, Parakarry, Bow and maybe Watt) and then the story reworked to make these characters more important. (Heh heh...character development is important to me...LOL) Oh, and there should have been a Yoshi in the party! ;) But that's just Inkhy's humble opinion...

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:28 pm

Well, let your humble opinion be joined by another. Any character development would have been appreciated by me. And you're right, it is in a different class.

But still, it was just fun, for some reason.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:02 pm

I think good character development makes 90% of some RPGs. Generally, when there's good character development, a good plot will inevitably follow. Pair that with a rockin' battle engine and you just can't go wrong! ;)

But true, Paper Mario was fun. I enjoyed it too.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:56 am

Actually, other than being used as items to get you places, almost all of the "helpers" were unneeded. Personally, once I got Bow and Watt I never used anyone else again.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:14 am

Yeah, I think I spent about 90% of the rest of the game with Bow following me, too. Items....I hadn't thought of it that way before but you're right. That's all they amounted to.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Spencer » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:28 am

That game was far too easy. It was fun and all, but like Inkhy pointed out: Crumm-- Uh, not so good character development. Bow was so awesome though, how you did that thing....(Spoiler buttons won't work for me.) Too bad I sold that game about a year or two ago. Meh, I kept the good ones. Here's my idea for a character:

:dance: - Bananaman - He dances hypnotically, and makes the opponent fall asleep, then after it wakes up, it gets paralyzed, then when cured from that, it gets frozen by a giant ball of ice, then it falls asleep again. Then Bananaman unveils his yellow shell and reveals the true fruit inside: Mushyfruitthing! ::Fancy music:: Mushyfruitthing mushes around, and makes the opponent hungry so they are hypnotized forever. You find Bananaman in Fruit Groves Garden Orchard.

Now that would've been cool
Spencer

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:36 am

Yeah, I generally had Bow following me, just because it's fun to turn invisible for no apparent reason. But for some bosses with heavy armor or ones that damage those who touch them, I did bring out Watt.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:37 am

*Goes to the Fruit Groves Garden Orchard*

Ink: Does this Bananaman work on bosses?

Spencer: Yes.

Ink: Fill up the rest of the slots in my inventory, please!

:lol: :dance: <--Dance, Bananaman! Dance!

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:55 am

Not to go overboard here, but...

is that Bananaman's original power? What does he get when you power him up? And what's his ability when you aren't in battles?
uc pseudonym

Postby Spencer » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:56 am

When not in battles: His yellow shell comes off and protects you from bad stuff

Powered up: Powered up is whenever Mushyfruitthing turns into Banana Pudding, and drowns your opponent is thick yellow pudding. Then the vanilla wafers come, and Mario eats the banana pudding. :dance:

Spencer: Bananaman! envelope that weird flying turtle in your strange yellow shell!

Bananaman: Si Senor!

Bananaman slurps the flying turtle into his strange shell, and then makes the opponent fall asleep, then after it wakes up, it gets paralyzed, then when cured from that, it gets frozen by a giant ball of ice, then it falls asleep again. Then Bananaman's victory song comes on, La Cucaracha!

Did I mention he spoke Spanish (kinda)
Spencer

Postby inkhana » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:33 pm

Awesome! Glad I stocked up! I'm out of money though...oh well, I didn't need a new weapon or armor anyway...

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews