Minecraft!

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Minecraft!

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:04 am

So I know all of you have probably been playing this for years and years, but I only just got into this game a few months ago. Since then I've been playing around on various servers and even run my own whitelist box where various children in my life (friends, relatives, etc) can play around in a safe place.

As far as accomplishments go, I built a glass-covered under water railway system to connect my home to a friend's home. I'm seriously enjoying the creative and creation aspects of this game!

So how about you guys? Anything fun? Anyone jumped to 1.8 yet? Was it entertaining?
Mithrandir

Re: Minecraft!

Postby drill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:31 am

Its been a while since I played Minecraft, maybe a year and a half? I can't remember too many things that I created, but I did create this huge castle, with tons of traps in it. For the most part, it was fun until there was nothing left to do, and the server I was an admin of practically became just a social network because of that. Eventually, the community just died and the server was shutdown. Overall though, I would say it was entertaining and fun experience.
drill

Postby Peanut » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:27 pm

I haven't played in a little while but I tend to drift back into it every once and awhile. I haven't done anything too crazy, besides once making a house that had a waterfall of Lava falling from it. That was pretty great.
Peanut

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:15 pm

I went ahead and downloaded the 1.8 server/client. We've deployed a new server and have begun all over again. It's interesting to me how the initial building is fun, but so is the period after you've got the creature comforts taken care of and you want to make some thing huge.

1.8 adds a lot of new colors for things, so I'm experimenting with new looks, etc. I haven't noticed any major problems yet, so if you were holding off on upgrading, it seems to be stable!
Mithrandir

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 pm

I'll take a look at it! I love building in minecraft, though the largest so was a temple that sealed itself at night and opened only during the day, using the sun sensors.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Huh. That sounds interesting Mech. Haven't done much in the way of big stuff myself, particularly since my caving abilities suck...
You know how I find ravines? By falling into them XD

Anyways, recently got 1.8 and....pretty good so far. I have bunnies... :) which is funny, because most of the animals in there strike me as creepy. I dunno. What's your best building creation so far?
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:08 pm

I built that in creative mode, since Quartz was a huge part of the design, and if you were destructive you could of course escape. The actual function was that to enter in the day, you'd walk down stairs into the complex. At night multiple sets of doors slammed shut and sealed the entrance and the staircase flooded with water.

Maybe sometime I'll do a new version in 1.8 and surround the whole complex with obsidian blocks, and make it an Indiana jones style 'must escape before sunset/sunrise' setup, with all sorts of fun traps. I was going to do another version that was only open at night...

I think the biggest project I've worked on in survival was the moat and wall we built around a fortress in a multiplayer server. Or the floating island. I died a lot more times building the island, that's for sure.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:00 pm

I've found it's very easy to have a remote server lag such that I'm no longer holding down the shift key. Net result: More falls to my death in multiplayer.
Mithrandir

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:14 pm

Mithrandir wrote:I've found it's very easy to have a remote server lag such that I'm no longer holding down the shift key. Net result: More falls to my death in multiplayer.

:lol:
So, I have a question. Has anyone here seen, stood up to, and survived, a super-charged creeper?
I have. Its...not pretty XD
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.

Wolfsong

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:06 pm

I have not yet. But in 1.8, apparently if a supercharged creeper blows up an enemy, there's a chance it will drop an enemy head. I really want a creeper head. Because, well, creeper head! I'd wear that. XD
Mithrandir

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Mithrandir wrote:I have not yet. But in 1.8, apparently if a supercharged creeper blows up an enemy, there's a chance it will drop an enemy head. I really want a creeper head. Because, well, creeper head! I'd wear that. XD

:lol:

Wolfsong

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:33 am

So I've started toying around in 1.8, and I've got to say... Slime blocks. I'm going to need to experiment heavily with those.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews