Good place to start pokemon?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Good place to start pokemon?

Postby Chocogizmo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:44 am

What game is the best one to start with if you want to get back into pokemon? I always played it when I was little (think ten years ago) and I've kinda been staying updated???kinda??? but now all these new pokemon games are coming out and I really want to play it again. So my question is, what's the best place to start? I have white 2, so I might just start playing that one.

And does it really matter that much? from what I remember pokemon doesn't really have much of a connecting plot, so idk.
Chocogizmo

Re: Good place to start pokemon?

Postby drill » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:58 pm

Chocogizmo wrote:What game is the best one to start with if you want to get back into pokemon? I always played it when I was little (think ten years ago) and I've kinda been staying updated???kinda??? but now all these new pokemon games are coming out and I really want to play it again. So my question is, what's the best place to start? I have white 2, so I might just start playing that one.

And does it really matter that much? from what I remember pokemon doesn't really have much of a connecting plot, so idk.

You are right, Pokemon has no connecting story between the games, so it doesn't really matter where you start. And if you have time, you can always go back to play the older ones.
drill

Postby Chocogizmo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Awesome I'll just start with white 2 then. And playing the old games would be awesome as well, actually I'm sure the e shop would have quite a few of them by now. thanks for the advice! ;3;
Chocogizmo

Postby Nate » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:42 pm

The answer is pretty much always "The latest one that came out" as it has the most mechanical improvements and most support. GTS/online support for the DS games, for example, has ended, meaning it's going to be pretty much impossible to get anything going on in Join Avenue in Black/White 2.

There are no main Pokemon games on the eShop aside from X and Y. The Pokemon games available are Pokemon Battle Trozei (DS game, puzzle game like Yoshi's Cookie), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (3DS roguelike with randomly generated dungeons), and Pokemon Rumble Blast (3DS game, action style game centered around toys).

I'm going to go ahead and say it even though other people would disagree with me (they are wrong though), playing the older games is a bad idea if you've played the newer ones. Since the newer games have introduced new mechanics, playing the older games would mostly be an exercise in frustration. The first two generations, while nostalgic for many, also were EXTREMELY slow and horribly paced and balanced...for example, Psychics have no real counters in Gen I and thus are basically an unstoppable force, whereas in Gen II there is a massive level curve that's really terrible right before the last gym.

If you really must play the older games for whatever reason, then the least painful way to do it would be Fire Red/Leaf Green, the Gen I remakes for GBA, and Heart Gold/Soul Silver, the Gen II remakes for DS. HG/SS still have the bad level curve that the originals had though. Emerald might be alright to play too, but the Ruby/Sapphire remakes coming out basically make the originals not worth it at this point. Besides at least for me, trying to go back to a game before the Physical/Special split of Gen IV is just unbelievably painful (hmm yes let's go back to the days when Azumarill sucked). Gen IV was also horribly slow in comparison to R/S/E/FR/LG and while I love it, Diamond and Pearl are pretty bad from an objective standpoint (Platinum is okay though).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yami » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:44 pm

Chocogizmo wrote:Awesome I'll just start with white 2 then. And playing the old games would be awesome as well, actually I'm sure the e shop would have quite a few of them by now. thanks for the advice! ;3;

I would recommend starting with White instead!

White 2 was great but you kinda need white to get the story... I'm sure people who didn't play the first game liked it but I get the feeling it would be kinda annoying to keep hearing references to events you never experienced.

But yeah I think the best ones to start out with would be Soul Silver, White, or X

Soul silver is currently my all time favorite and X is just awesome. (Nice story and the updated game mechanics and the addition of the fairy type/pokemon amie are great!)

I would also like to point out that last month all online feature were disabled from the older DS games. (pearl diamond ss hg white/black 1 & 2)

Btw if your starting with white 2 you can get a shiny dratini at the end!
Yami

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews