Mass Effect Fans?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Mass Effect Fans?

Postby Kilvakar » Wed May 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Anyone here play Mass Effect? I really love that series, probably tied for my top favorite game series of all time! To me, playing through the three games felt more like an epic book or movie journey than a simple video game. Definitely some of the best character development and storyline I've ever seen. Well, as long as you avoid the more...questionable options throughout...

Your thoughts?
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Re: Mass Effect Fans?

Postby Mullet Death » Wed May 21, 2014 11:24 pm

I really liked the first Mass Effect. The thing is, to me, finishing a game means finishing its achievements. Finishing Mass Effect's achivements is a bit of a tall order since you basically have to beat the game five or six times, at least. That's no joke for a game that already takes tens of hours per playthrough, since we're talking about an semi-open-world rpg. Not to mention the fact that gettting to level 50 was actually incredibly difficult since there was a limited supply of XP available in the game. So I eventaully became frustrated with all of this and moved on from that Xbox account to my current one and stopped playing the series. I'm pretty much now only concerned with Steam achievements, especially since so many Xbox achievements are no longer possible.

The point is, I really liked the first Mass Effect even though some of it's achievements were stupid. I'd like to play it again and finish the series, even though from what I heard Mass Effect 3's ending leaves a whole lot to be desired. Even though it doesn't support achievements, I'll probably pick up Mass Effect 1 & 2 on Steam some time and cross my fingers for an eventual ME3 release.

TL;DR: love Mass Effect, want to play it more some day. Love Wrex. All of the voice acting was superb.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Kilvakar » Sat May 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Yeah Wrex! Definitely one of my favorite characters. As far as achievements go, it's much easier to get them in the next two games, since there is less of an open-world set up to the game. Combat gets WAY better in the next two games, and so does the character development. Tali and Garrus are sort of your core crew members through the whole series, but all the main characters from the first game get appearances in the second and third games (if not both of them).

Don't even get me started on the ending! I still believe that the series is one of the best ever, but THAT ENDING!!! :comp: The extended cut add-on sort of fixed it, but it's still not what I would've expected from such a stellar trilogy. They were definitely either rushed into not completing the ending, or they just wanted to try to be really "artistic" and "different" with it, and messed it up entirely.
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 25, 2014 9:35 am

I purposefully bought into the Indoctrination Theory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck) as a way to feel better about how the whole darn series ended.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kilvakar » Sun May 25, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm familiar with the indoctrination theory, and I think it does make some degree of sense, especially since the hologram you see at the end is the little boy from the beginning of game three. However, with the extended cut endings, I always choose "destroy" as it's the only one that ends with the Reapers gone for good and Shepard possibly alive :)
Image Image

Kilvakar

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews