Horror games?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Horror games?

Postby invaderv93 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:36 am

Anyone know any good new horror games I should check out?
invaderv93

Re: Horror games?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 pm

What do you mean by "new"? That might help us to know what you're looking for.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby invaderv93 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Within the last five years, but the more recent the better. Specifically PC or Xbox 360 (whoops forgot to give specs as well last time, sorry).
invaderv93

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (and, if you like it, Justine) - This is an absolutely phenomenal horror game. It's made by the same company that did Penumbra, if you're familiar with that one, and its runs on much the same premise: You have no weapons. You have to make it through the place, find the answers you seek, solve the mystery, run up against horrifying monsters of every description...and have absolutely no way of defending yourself. It makes the whole experience so much more terrifying and rewarding, because you have to just run quite a bit of the time. Amnesia adds the wonderful feature of absolute insanity. You play as a guy who is completely paranoid and a wee bit unhinged, who freaks out at anything abnormal, is scared of the dark, and starts hallucinating cockroaches when he's scared. This makes it even freakier and harder to make it through the game, but in a good way ;) The graphics are absolutely gorgeous; this game takes place in a Renaissance-era castle, so the lush furnishings are really awesome to look at. The physics are awesome too; very realistic, helping give you an immersive experience (which just makes things ten times scarier XD). The story is interesting enough to get you through as well, trying to piece together what actually happened in this place through notes and things you pick up along the way. I absolutely recommend this if you can handle the terror and the blood towards the end. (Torture devices. That's all I'll say.)

Unfortunately, that's the only recent horror game I've played; I have a very wimpy computer that can only play really old stuff, so I had to rely on a friend to play Amnesia. One I'm really looking forward to that's supposed to come out next spring is Among the Sleep. It looks really good.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby invaderv93 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:42 pm

I have played Amnesia before and LOVED it, though I haven't heard of Justine. I'll have to look that one up. I heard they just came out with a sequel as well; have you played it? I'm also really looking forward to Among the Sleep and gave a few bucks to the Kickstarter. Does anyone know if that company has done any other horror games?
invaderv93

Postby Crossfire » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Dunno if it necessarily counts as "horror", but Metro 2033 was a pretty interesting game. Definitely managed to creep me out. Don't know how its sequel compares though, haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.
Crossfire

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:18 am

invaderv93 wrote:I have played Amnesia before and LOVED it, though I haven't heard of Justine. I'll have to look that one up. I heard they just came out with a sequel as well; have you played it? I'm also really looking forward to Among the Sleep and gave a few bucks to the Kickstarter. Does anyone know if that company has done any other horror games?

Amnesia: Justine is a much shorter game, following a completely different storyline, but it's just as good, I think. Unfortunately, you can't save at all during the game, so you have to do it all in one go, but it's a rewarding experience. You get the same sense of "What on earth did I do?" that you get from The Dark Descent.
I wanna play A Machine for Pigs sooooo baaaaaaaaaad!!!!! :waah!: Haven't yet, though. It looks really good.

I looked on their website, and it looks like the only other game they've made besides Among the Sleep is a free game called The Plan. I haven't played it, but it doesn't look quite like a horror game.

Also, it's just a mod of Half-Life 2, but Nightmare House 2 was one of the scariest games I've ever played. Nowhere near as good as Frictional Games's stuff, but very scary all the same. Free, too ;)
the_wolfs_howl

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Majora's Mask :waah!: I've just barely started and I can't take it.(It's even worse if you've watched the story behind BEN DROWNED :shake: )
"You can keep walking, or turn back, or take a different road." -Elliot Nightray
"What's left in the end..is not always what you wish for!" - Xerxes Break
twistedfairytale45

Postby LastLfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Lone survivor
LastLfan

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:57 pm

lol Majora's Mask xD it IS a little creepy.

Slender, maybe? It depends who you are. I've screamed at the top of my lungs, but some people don't react at all. It's not much of a game (you can beat it in like, 10 minutes) but it's good for a scare!
... but I've never beaten it cause I'm a chicken. :P
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews