.hack original 4 game series

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

.hack original 4 game series

Postby starseven » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:01 pm

I've played through the first 3 of the 4 games. I think this was one of the more unique games series I'd seen. I know they continued into another set of games. It was the first time I'd ever seen a simulated mmo with fake forums and emails. It was quite an odd series of games. I however came to like them due to this fact. I'd like to hear some other peoples opinions on the original run of .hack games.
starseven

Re: .hack original 4 game series

Postby Okami » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:38 pm

.hack//Infection, //Mutation, //Outbreak, and //Quarantine were some of my favorite PS2 games. Good times, good memories! :)

The whole .hack// Franchise remains to be a highlight of anime in general for me, despite the run-on plot that keeps being redone, and the holes in the plot, and whatever else that could possibly bring it down. It was one of the first series I got into with a friend, and we've appreciated the first four games and .hack//Sign (the preceding anime) very much over the years.

(A little off topic, but said friend and her sister just cosplayed Elk and Tsukasa at Youmacon this past weekend! :D)
Okami

Postby starseven » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:06 pm

What caught me was the unique design. It definitely had very good art. I do also favor the .Hack//SIGN anime. I especially enjoyed the musical scoring in the anime.
starseven

Postby Okami » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Indeed, the art was different for games of that time. And the attention to detail on the characters truly felt like if you could pick up a copy of The World right now, you could design a character for yourself that would be "uniquely" your own (I say that in quotations as obviously there are only so many designs to choose from). I always did want to see more of it in ways of the game coming to life, allowing us to play our own characters and do our own thing in the game rather than playing/reading/watching it from someone else's point of view.

I'm trying to remember where //Outbreak ended and where //Quarantine began. At any rate, I hope you get the chance to finish out that portion of the franchise, because it wraps up that segment fairly nicely. Without being too spoilery, unfortunately some of the character development gets lost in other/later portions of the franchise and isn't so clear that real change happened in //Quarantine. *shrugs* I guess that's part of the issue of having a universe so open and big, that it doesn't get the chance to wrap up all the ends so neatly as we might want...
Okami

Postby starseven » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:27 am

I really need to take the time to go back and finish the last game.
starseven

Postby Okami » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 am

Yeah. :)

Do you own the game, or are you going to have to go on a hunt to find it? I know it's getting expensive to find any of the games at this point, but //Quarantine especially...I think it's upwards of $100 on Amazon used! :wow!:
Okami

Postby starseven » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:26 pm

I have all 4 of the games. I got them all a few years ago.
starseven

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews