Roguelike Games

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Roguelike Games

Postby SilverToast » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Anyone on here that plays roguelikes? What are some of your favorites?

For those who don't know what roguelikes are like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike.

My favorites are Dungeon Stone Soup Crawl and Unreal World.
SilverToast

Re: Roguelike Games

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:37 pm

I've ended up playing more games with roguelike elements (Binding of Isaac, FTL) than actual roguelikes lately, but I'm a big fan of Dungeons of Dredmor. It's simplified down from your average roguelike, but it's got a great sense of humor and the graphics look better than colored ASCII symbols. DooM: The Roguelike (yes, that DooM) is a good change of pace - for once, it's a roguelike based on ranged combat.
Davidizer13

Postby SilverToast » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:47 pm

I heard Dungeons of Dredmor and Doom RL are good! I'll try them out. Is there a video game genre that you would like to see roguelike elements in? I would like to see a survival horror game with permanent death and randomly generated levels and monsters. It would be awesome to have randomly placed monsters chase after you in a large mansion with randomly generated rooms! You never know when the room you go into will be safe or have more monsters.
SilverToast

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:49 am

I enjoy roguelikes, but only when they're relatively short and have overall goals across multiple games. For this reason, I was a big fan of Desktop Dungeons:
http://www.desktopdungeons.net/media/

Each 5-20 minute game is one screen of dungeon, with a boss and ten possible experience levels. Healing resources have an absolute limit. When you successfully win with different classes, you unlock slight advantages for future runs (like better items in shops) but also more difficult varieties of monsters.

I'm only vaguely familiar with a few of the games others have mentioned here. If anyone has suggestions that match my preferences, please let me know.
uc pseudonym

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:18 am

I've played some Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I think I'll try Desktop Dungeons, it sounds a bit less frustrating.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Peanut » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:46 pm

I like to occasionally play rougelikes. The main ones I mess around with are FTL, Dungeons of Dreadmor, Binding of Issac and Elona. At some point I want to try out Sword of the Stars the Pit but I haven't bothered yet.

uc pseudonym wrote:I enjoy roguelikes, but only when they're relatively short and have overall goals across multiple games. For this reason, I was a big fan of Desktop Dungeons:
http://www.desktopdungeons.net/media/

Each 5-20 minute game is one screen of dungeon, with a boss and ten possible experience levels. Healing resources have an absolute limit. When you successfully win with different classes, you unlock slight advantages for future runs (like better items in shops) but also more difficult varieties of monsters.

I'm only vaguely familiar with a few of the games others have mentioned here. If anyone has suggestions that match my preferences, please let me know.

Based on what you've said, you might like Faster than Light. Games don't last too long, outside of the basic goal of get to the end with your message and defeat the big bad space ship, there are other goals that you can go after to unlock more ships and its one of the few games I can think of that gives you control of the airlock to suffocate enemy intruders or put out fires. Its a pretty fun game that I've sunk way too many hours into.
Peanut

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews