SimCity: We Gotta Move These Refridgerators

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

SimCity: We Gotta Move These Refridgerators

Postby Xeno » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:03 pm

So with the release of the latest installment of SimCity, people are having a hissy fit over the online connection thing to prevent piracy. EA has, quite obviously, botched the launch of this game, but given the opportunity that they fix some of the bugs in the game and get the servers acting right all the time, is anyone planning on getting in on the playing god, err- I mean playing mayor action?

I know I am. I bought a digital copy of SimCity2000 for Mac last night, thinking it would satisfy my want to play the game, and it only made it worse. Now I'm just getting antsy, waiting for Maxis to finish the Mac version of the game.
Xeno

Re: SimCity: We Gotta Move These Refridgerators

Postby ADXC » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:37 pm

ADXC

Postby Xeno » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:44 pm

His resignation has been coming for a couple of months though according to other sources. So it's not like the SimCity debacle is what caused it, though I wouldn't be surprised if it sped up the process.
Xeno

Postby blkmage » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:58 pm

I've been playing SimCity 4 and while it's not perfect, it's probably still the closest thing to what I want a SimCity to be, based on what I've read about the mechanics of the new SimCity. At this point, the only thing I really want from the new SimCity is the visualization of the data. I'm confident that they'll eventually fix the simulation and server issues, but the scale of the cities and how they're intended to interact in regions is a dealbreaker for me.
blkmage

Postby Peanut » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Xeno wrote:I know I am. I bought a digital copy of SimCity2000 for Mac last night, thinking it would satisfy my want to play the game, and it only made it worse. Now I'm just getting antsy, waiting for Maxis to finish the Mac version of the game.

I did the same with about the same result...

This stinks for Maxis. Everything I've seen suggests that this is a really good game its just dealing with the stupidity that is always online DRM. If you removed that, you'd have a pretty good Sim City game.
Peanut

Postby shooraijin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:33 am

We've gotta move these colour TVs.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby skreyola » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm

I won't buy a non-MMO/singleplayer game that requires contacting a server to play. I still have games I bought in the '90s, and companies go belly up or abandon their product support from time to time. Also, I'm philosophically opposed to copy protection because it doesn't stop copying; it only hurts legitimate users. I have games I bought in a brick-and-mortar store that I can no longer play because the copy protection was botched. I had to buy SC4 twice because the disc version's copy protection was borked. There's a reason I feel the way I do about copy protection schemes.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Peanut » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:57 pm

You know, I'm still waiting for the always online DRM stuff to catastrophically fail. I mean, yes Diablo 3's release was bad and Sim City's release was horrible but I don't think we've seen exactly how bad this can get. Both of those games still seemed to have decent sales and decent reception minus the DRM bit. I think the industry needs someone to really, really crash and burn before they learn that this is a terrible idea.
Peanut

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews