Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Postby Crossfire » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Taking place four years after MGS4, Raiden has joined a PSC in order to provide for his family (or so he says). Although he has no wish to head back into the furry of battle, when a VIP mission goes wrong- he's forced to do just that. As a result Raiden receives an upgraded body capable of restoring energy by cutting into the self-repair units of other cyborgs. With new-found resolve, he swears to put an end to rival PMC Desperado's plans, by any means necessary. Jack is back, and with a vengeance.

Just finished a play-through on "normal" difficulty, and while it was short (6ish hours), it was a pretty friggin' amazing 6 hours. The combat is fast-paced and fluid, and slicing your enemy into a thousand pieces has never felt so satisfying.
Last edited by Crossfire on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crossfire

Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Postby Hiryu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 am

How does the length compare to the mainstream versions of Metal Gear Solid? 6 hours feels like it's short compared to them.
Hiryu

Postby Crossfire » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:03 am

Well, you have to remember that Metal Gear Rising isn't Metal Gear Solid. The whole point of this title was to create a totally new gameplay experience, while still retaining some basic fundamentals of the MGS "feel". Take for instance, codecs, hiding in a cardboard box, titles and unlockable uniforms. Everything else however, is indeed different. But it makes sense. You're not Snake trying to sneakily infiltrate enemy compounds, you're Raiden- a freakin' cyborg ninja who's sole purpose is to reap destruction and take faces. (er, I guess spinal-cords would be more appropriate...)

At any rate, yes, it's short. But it complements the style of the game itself. Besides, there's plenty of reasons to go back and run through previous missions. Trophies/achievements, "secrets", secondary mission objectives, alternate codec calls... there's a lot to do, even after completing the story. If you're a fan of robust hack n' slash style gameplay and the Metal Gear franchise, I'd definitely recommend trying it out.
Crossfire

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:25 pm

The game is 6 hours? MGS4 had 5 hours of CUTSCENES ALONE, and my gameplay (with cutscenes) logged in at 18 hours my first playthrough. 6 hours (normal play, not speedrun + skipping cutscenes) is probably the shortest MG game since the MSX era.

I played the demo, and it didn't do anything for me. I was iffy about it from the beginning, and the demo didn't improve my view of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews