So I need a new PS3

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

So I need a new PS3

Postby Xeno » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:47 am

My current PS3 is from circa-2008 and sounds, more or less, like a jet on the verge of erupting into flames every time I turn it on. I know the fat models have always had loud fan problems, but this has gotten much worse lately. I already paid Sony $120 early last year to repair a YLOD on the system because I was too cheap to cough up the money to buy a new system, but now that I'm at this point it's looking like I'm going to have to.

So, with that out of the way. Has anyone run across some decent deals on the internet for the slim PS3 (2009-October 2012)? I'm not interested in the new Super Slim model because the sliding top-loading tray looks janky and easily breakable, and in fact the entire system doesn't appear to be quality work. I know the slot-loader on the original PS3 and PS3 slim has more moving parts, but it is more stable, and if the new "Super Slim" had a flip-door like the PS2 Slim had on it I'd have been okay with that. Back to the point, the cheapest system I've found so far is $220 for a used one or $250 for new.

So gameratis, any suggestions?

Note: Get an Xbox is not an acceptable answer and will be summarily ignored.
Xeno

Postby Crossfire » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:09 am

Xeno (post: 1598608) wrote:Note: Get an Xbox is not an acceptable answer and will be summarily ignored.

Buy a Wii U.

...joking aside, I'm facing the same situation with my Xbox. : / Before we go any further, is not being able to play PS2 games a factor in anything?
Crossfire

Postby Xeno » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:10 am

Not at all. In fact my current PS3 is one of the post backwards comparable models.
Xeno

Postby Crossfire » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:29 am

Well, with this new "super slim" coming out, the older models should be a little cheaper.

I know the prices are a little different up here, but from what I've seen the best places to look for a used console are sites like kijiji and craigslist. Of course, you can always pick up a refurbished model from one of the bigger store chains, especially with the "black friday" sales coming up. My advice is to keep an eye out for one of those.
Crossfire

Postby AndrewinIce » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 am

Xeno (post: 1598608) wrote:... and in fact the entire system doesn't appear to be quality work.

I'm pretty sure all the PS's are like that. In my life I've had three PS2's, and only one GameCube. My brother has had to replace his PS3 not long ago, and he had had it for less than a year. Mine is still okay, thank God.

Anyways, look for Christmas sales. You might can even get a bundle pack!
The Creating of a Story, be it TV show, novel, video game, is process one can not undertake lightly. When you create a story, you had better be prepared for the emotional ties you will have to all characters, as they all come from you.
AndrewinIce

Postby Crossfire » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:02 am

AndrewinIce (post: 1598663) wrote: You might can even get a bundle pack!

Indeed. They had a 120GB bundle for $230 last year, pretty good deal if you ask me.
Crossfire

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:56 am

There's a $200 DOUBLE bundle being sold on Black Friday and the day after (I saw an ad for it while I was in the kitchen and my parents were watching TV)... Saving 100 bucks or so isn't worth risking your life on Black Friday, but Saturday sounds like a good day to go PS3 hunting.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/16/special-vita-ps3-bundles-drop-to-200-for-black-friday/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews