Should I get a PS2?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Should I get a PS2?

Postby Edward » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:41 pm

As I was trading in some games at Gamestop, I noticed that the price of the PS2 has recently been droppped to 50 dollars. Because I now have 20 dollars of credit, I have started to seriously consider getting a PS2.

I all ready have an Xbox 360, and have no desire to get a PS3, but there a lot of games that I want for the PS2, like Kingdom Hearts and Ico/Shadow of the Collosuss, which I have been wanting to play for years. From what I've heard, these games alone would be worth buying a PS2 for.

But I'm still hesitant to spend 50 dollars. I also don't know which version I should get. The slimline is quieter but has no internal HDD. ASFAIK, FFXI is the only game that is completly dependent on the drive, but there are others I may want to play that would benefit from having a HDD. Both versions cost the same, so I will definitly buy the one that's best, whichever it is.

Any responses would be very helpful. And if anyone can reccomend games to me, that would be appreciated as well.
Edward

Postby Xeno » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Just a quick note, the "Fatbody" PS2's don't come with the HDD pre-installed unless it's noted the previous owner installed it and GameStop didn't remove the drive. Sony only pre-bundled the hard drives with the systems in the FFXI pack, as for the slimline model, you can do an external hard drive mod to get that to work if you'd rather have that kind, though it's not officially supported by Sony.
Xeno

Postby Furen » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Tales of the Abyss for sure
Ar Tonelico games

Really, if you like the PS2 you sould pick it up

I've been thinking about that too, there are so many great things to play on the PS2, it has many many reasons to play it
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Valkaiser » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:35 pm

A HD is easily added with the purchase of a Network/HDD adapter ($15 used at Gamestop).
However, I am only aware of 3 games that use it (Final Fantasy XI, SOCOM 3 and The Sims 2).
The official Linux Kit needs one as well (not easy to find).

There are non-game related uses for a HD, such as media center and non-Sony linux capabilities, but the system would need to be exploited first.

PS2's are great now due to all the cheap games and accessories around.
Valkaiser

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Game wise, I would highly suggest Persona 3 FES and Persona 4, Tales of the Abyss, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, and Final Fantasy X. I hear the Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid series are good too. I could also recommend Dynasty Warriors 4 and 5 and Samurai Warriors 1 and 2, but they are mostly geared toward the fanbase or those who instantly like them from playing a bit of these games.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby raider~joseph » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:41 am

You could get an emulator...NOT SAYING I HAVE ONE. I also don't know where to start on that idea either but hey...its an idea.
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:02 pm

If you do get a PS3 you can download a bunch of PS1 and 2 games from the Playstation Store, plus the other PS2 classics that have been coming out in the HD collections. Just sayin'.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby seaglass27 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Furen (post: 1520779) wrote:Tales of the Abyss for sure
Ar Tonelico games

There are Ar Tonelico games?
seaglass27

Postby Xeno » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:05 pm

raider~joseph (post: 1521631) wrote:You could get an emulator...NOT SAYING I HAVE ONE. I also don't know where to start on that idea either but hey...its an idea.

You could rob a bank...NOT SAYING THAT I HAVE DONE THAT. Also I don't know where to start on that idea either but hey...its an idea.

Using an emulator implies you have both the gaming system and the game that you're playing on the computer, otherwise it's piracy.
Xeno

Postby Edward » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1521703) wrote:If you do get a PS3 you can download a bunch of PS1 and 2 games from the Playstation Store, plus the other PS2 classics that have been coming out in the HD collections. Just sayin'.

I still don't want to buy a PS3. For one thing it costs too much money, and there aren't very many PS3 exclusives that I am interested in playing. I don't care about HD graphics as much as good gameplay, and I also don't want to pay 40 dollars or more for a game I can get on the PS2 for less than half the price. I would like being able to just download games that might be hard to find or ludicrously expensive otherwise though. But unless I find 200 dollars lying on the ground, I think I'll stick with just getting a PS2, as much as I would like having a PS3.
Edward

Postby rocklobster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:03 am

I wouldn't recommend it. My history with PS2 was not good. I bought two models and 3 months later, they wouldn't play my Ps2 games. I gave up and just decided to no longer do business with Sony.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Hiryu » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:29 am

Yea, some of the first PS2's later developed an illiteracy problem with the disks, turning that $200 system into an expensive football/bulls eye/bookshelf holder. I later bought a slim PS2 and haven't had a problem with it.
Hiryu

Postby rocklobster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:48 pm

And Sony made me waste my money. Lousy [censored]:mutter:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Rock, you made your point once. Posting essentially the same thing but with less content a second time isn't renforcing your point, it's spamming.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:39 am

Sorry.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby JesusFreakGamer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:03 pm

raider~joseph (post: 1521631) wrote:You could get an emulator...NOT SAYING I HAVE ONE. I also don't know where to start on that idea either but hey...its an idea.

Hmm... I wouldn't get an emulator if I were you... For one thing, you would have to have a PRETTY amazing computer in order to run games. Also, it would be a HUGE temptation to download Roms or Isos, which ARE illegal, no matter how you try to justify it. With regards to your original question, in my opinion, if you can afford it, a PS2 is worth it JUST for Kingdom Hearts :-). That is currently my favorite game EVER. I actually recently found one at a garage sale for $15. I would shop around before you go ahead and buy one. If you've got the money though, I would totally do it. There are many great games, such as the Final Fantasy series (don't listen to those haters who say the PS2 ones are horrible) the Kingdom Hearts series, and Battlefront to name a couple. In summary: Don't get an emulator, and yes, the PS2 would probably be worth it. Hope I helped!

Xeno (post: 1521729) wrote:Using an emulator implies you have both the gaming system and the game that you're playing on the computer, otherwise it's piracy.

Actually, it's piracy either way. The only way to do it legally is to rip the ISO to your hard drive yourself. You are allowed one copy, but you have to make it yourself.
JesusFreakGamer

Postby Edward » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:52 am

Well, I finally got my PS2 for Christimas. It's an aluninum colored slim model, and I'm really happy that I have one now. Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll be sure to get at least one of them.
Edward

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:56 am

Wow.

No recommendations for the Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, or Sly Cooper series.

How did that happen?

Congratulations of getting the box btw, I didn't know they made a aluminum version all the ones I've seen are black.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:32 pm

I recommend Soul Calibur IV and Katamari Damacy.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Soul Caliber IV released for next gen consoles only, but 3 and 2 are great fighters. I would recommend picking up Metal gear solid 2 and 3, the ratchet and clank series, devil may cry 1 and 3.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Edward » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:52 pm

I already have SC 4 for the xbox 360, but I'll try to get some of the others recommended. A used video store near me has all the metal gear solid games in one box for 45 bucks. I do have final fantasy x, prince of persia, and Ico now though. I may not get new games for a while because I need to save money.
Edward

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:28 am

Er I mean 3. My bad.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:21 am

Star Wars: Battlefront I & II
and
Mercenaries 1 & 2

Are good too.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-