Anyone going to get Skyrim?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Valkaiser » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:44 pm

An Elder Scrolls game is always a win.
I find the menu interface to be utterly horrid on PC, but I will put up with a lot to play this series.
Valkaiser

Postby Wallachia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:07 pm

Here's my Breton spellsword. This screenshot was taken during some dull weather, but I thought I may as well upload some kind of image.
I've been too busy playing Skyrim to check up on the forums like I usually do. Oops!

Wallachia

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:47 pm

Ugh I LOVE EVERY INCH OF THIS GAME. <3 <3 <3 SO MUCH FUN.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm not even all that far into the story yet. Only fought one dragon so far. Currently on the bit where you have to get that horn thingy for the Hrothgar guys. I don't play it every spare moment lately, but when I do, I've mostly been doing sidejobs and exploring random caves and stuff.

By the way, LOVED the Shroud Hearth Barrow sidequest. Had a story of its own with a logical beginning, middle and end. It could be legitimately considered a game on its own, really. Though it would be an extremely short one.

So now it's time to play "What race/class features are you using, and What is your character's name?"

Me: Dark Elf, using light armor, fighting with a good balance of one-handed melee weapons and spells. My character's name is Birhouin Yosul [Beer-oh-een Yo-sool], a name I crafted by squishing together the title of my favorite song, "Birdhouse In Your Soul" by TMBG.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:25 am

I just climbed to the very top of the Throat of the World - even higher than High Hrothgar - as part as the main quest to meet the leader of the "Greybeards", which was a really awesome moment in the story for me. I have to say this game is really great.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Wallachia » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:41 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1516542) wrote:I just climbed to the very top of the Throat of the World - even higher than High Hrothgar - as part as the main quest to meet the leader of the "Greybeards", which was a really awesome moment in the story for me. I have to say this game is really great.
I just did that last time I played. That was really awesome and kind of unexpected.

Random image of me and my house.

Wallachia

Postby Slater » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:26 am

Wrote up a fairly detailed review of my experience in the game thus far, but the forum swallowed it like me swallowing cabbage when I run out of health potions in a sword fight.

The good: Almost everything. This game is beautiful, and the attention to detail is unlike anything I've seen in any other game. Overburdened by your heavy inventory? Don't even think about throwing that crap out in the middle of town, or you'll have guards all over you telling you how much of a risk leaving weapons laying around is. Annoying, yes, but still awesome how great the AI work is.

The bad: Glitches. Lots of them. For the most part they're forgivable. Sometimes items will randomly go flying across the room when you load into a new scene. There's a lot to be found on Youtube; mostly they're funny. Perhaps the most fail one that I've personally found was where a dragon let me stab it in the face with a dagger until it was basically dead. Hey; great AI, but not quite perfect.

The ugly: Crashes. At least for the PC version. They aren't too frequent but when you encounter one, it's usually going to reproduce itself a couple times when you restart. It took me 4 attempts to get up to High Hrothgar because the game kept crashing if I off-roaded it at one point on the trail. Another crash while following a story-based event set me back about an hour tonight, and that's no good. Also, the game's not very friendly towards other windows. Or Alt+tabbing.

More good: Bethseda promises to patch these issues as they arise. There's no doubt in anyone's mind that the game is a bit unstable right now, but at least the developers are dedicated to maintaining what will surely be considered a work of art for years to come.

And hey, even if you don't play Skyrim, I'm sure you can appreciate... this. (Oh hey, the international voice acting sounds pretty sweet, too!)
Slater

Postby Neane » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:22 pm

After Playing it for 3 Hours a day since 11/20/2011:

This Game Is Awesome. I have to force myself to stop playing, this game will cause you to have no social life because of how amazingly addicting it is. Thus far: I rate it a 10/10.
Neane

Postby Crossfire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Sigh. Two more weeks, and I can play to my heart's desire...

Which faction did you all sign up with? I'm thinking of siding with the Imperials, because the Stormcloak leader sounds like a jerk. Then again, the imperials don't look much better.
Crossfire

Postby Slater » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:25 am

Stormcloaks, cause I'm not too fond of folk who try to off me head. It's not a good first impression, y'know?
Slater

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Companions, I want to be a werewolve
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Saved Gamer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:07 pm

I keep getting distracted by side quests and the miscellaneous quests. I haven't even gone after the thing that the grey beards want me to get and I'm at level 39! Too much to do. I've ended up with a massive back log of stuff that I haven't done and should.
Saved Gamer

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Anyone had any problems with the PS3 version? I was thinking of getting it for my brother for Christmas but I've been told the PS3 version is broken after you play about 30 hours or something.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:57 pm

The PS3 version was just patched. Can't say whether that fixed the problems or not as I'm not a fan of WRPGs (except maybe Mass Effect), but there you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Saved Gamer (post: 1518246) wrote:I keep getting distracted by side quests and the miscellaneous quests. I haven't even gone after the thing that the grey beards want me to get and I'm at level 39! Too much to do. I've ended up with a massive back log of stuff that I haven't done and should.

I think its better the way you're doing it because of the experience you get, as well as the exploration. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:52 pm

I've got to admit that I find skyrim more fun on lower difficulty so I can just explore and if I happen upon a dragon, kill it instead of wet myself

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:33 pm

"Take leek" XD I love this game.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Bookkid900 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:46 pm

So far, Skyrim is a lot of fun... I just realized how helpful fast travel is... Also, when you are over your carrying weight you can always get on a horse and get to your next destination at the horse's normal speed.
Bookkid900

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Okay guys, I was really impressed with the Civil War story in Skyrim. There are no easy choices in that war, neither side is fully good or evil. And there is an evil greater evil lurking in the horizon, the Thalmor.

So the question is: which side should we choose?

At first, I went with the Stormcloaks, but I reloaded an old save file and decided to go with the Empire, the reasons for which I will explain below.

First of all, the Stormcloaks are very reminiscent of the Nazis. They believe in a Skyrim filled only with Nords. They dislike every other race, and would rather have them leave Skyrim. Ulfric himself is indifferent at best to the other races, and intolerant and aggressive at worst.

Not to mention, the guy is really power hungry.

However, there's another big reason. The Thalmor would rather see Ulfric win then the Empire. The Empire gave in to the demands of the Thalmor because they were exhaused and weak after the Great War, but another war is coming. The Empire hates the Thalmor just as much as the Stormcloaks. In fact, prior to Ulfric's rebellion, Talos worship was tolerated more. After Ulfric revolted, the Thalmor started cracking down. Also, who stands a better chance of fending off the Thalmor? A single nation and a weakened empire? Or one strong united Empire that has a chance of becoming great again with the Dragonborn at their side?

Finally, if the Nords end up defeating the High Elves, they will likely be able to establish their own empire. I doubt their highly xenophobic nation would be very nice to other people.
Yamamaya

Postby Saved Gamer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:04 am

Right... I have problem. Skyrim is not wroking at all for me and I think this happened right after the last patch (which will suck immensely if it is the case). I click on the play button when the menu comes up and nothing really happens. The menu disappears for about a second then reappears. Anyone else got this problem?
(SPOILER!!!)
By the way Yamamaya, I agree with your thoughts on the civil war. Especially when I found that Ulfric may actually be working for the Thalmor. That tore it.
Saved Gamer

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:14 pm

:sniffle:
Saved Gamer (post: 1520337) wrote:Right... I have problem. Skyrim is not wroking at all for me and I think this happened right after the last patch (which will suck immensely if it is the case). I click on the play button when the menu comes up and nothing really happens. The menu disappears for about a second then reappears. Anyone else got this problem?
(SPOILER!!!)
By the way Yamamaya, I agree with your thoughts on the civil war. Especially when I found that Ulfric may actually be working for the Thalmor. That tore it.

Ps3 I assume? It a pretty common problem causing usually a restart

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Saved Gamer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:26 am

Fixed it. Had it reinstall it though. No problems now.
Saved Gamer

Postby raider~joseph » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:46 am

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1518050) wrote:Companions, I want to be a werewolve

As do I.
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby Neane » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:39 am

I encountered a quest breaking bug today. I have the disintegrate perk for destruction, and apparently when you kill ghosts with it so that they are no longer able to be present for the scripted events that end the quest and open the door so you can leave.

Seriously.

Anyway, How is everyone else?
Neane

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 am

Haven't touched Skyrim for a while now. Been too busy with life, as well as playing other games...
Crossfire

Postby Peanut » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1519193) wrote:Okay guys, I was really impressed with the Civil War story in Skyrim. There are no easy choices in that war, neither side is fully good or evil. And there is an evil greater evil lurking in the horizon, the Thalmor.

So the question is: which side should we choose?

I ended up going with the Stormcloaks during my first playthrough for one reason. Ulfric wasn't trying to separate my head from my body...that and I was a Nord. I'm going to do it again with the Empire to see if I like it better but based off of what I've read, I won't. I want a world where I'm not kicking Balgruf out of power, Ulfric isn't dead and the conflict is resolved.

Yamamaya wrote:Also, who stands a better chance of fending off the Thalmor? A single nation and a weakened empire? Or one strong united Empire that has a chance of becoming great again with the Dragonborn at their side?

Honestly, I think this depends on how you, the Dragonborn, end the game. I personally think that if the Thalmor invaded, my Dragonborn would give the Stormcloaks a major victory. The shouts themselves are powerful enough to be battle turners even when a nation is weakened by internal strife and I've got a couple of Dragons who owe me one. This, of course, assumes that said Dragonborn would fight in the war or be around for it. We may find out we may not, I haven't heard of any DLC resolving that plot point being announced yet but I would hope that Bethesda addresses this cause I want to crack some Thalmor skulls.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:41 am

Peanut (post: 1529061) wrote:I ended up going with the Stormcloaks during my first playthrough for one reason. Ulfric wasn't trying to separate my head from my body...that and I was a Nord. I'm going to do it again with the Empire to see if I like it better but based off of what I've read, I won't. I want a world where I'm not kicking Balgruf out of power, Ulfric isn't dead and the conflict is resolved.

The next time you're in Solitude go into the Bard's college and read a book called the Wolf of Markarth. Do the Forsworn Conspiracy Quest as well. It might..change what you think about Ulfric. Namely Ulfric doesn't mind executing children one bit.

Peanut (post: 1529061) wrote: We may find out we may not, I haven't heard of any DLC resolving that plot point being announced yet but I would hope that Bethesda addresses this cause I want to crack some Thalmor skulls.

Hopefully there is some DLC released dealing with the Thalmor. Someone has got to deal with those magical elven Nazis.
Yamamaya

Postby Peanut » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1530032) wrote:The next time you're in Solitude go into the Bard's college and read a book called the Wolf of Markarth. Do the Forsworn Conspiracy Quest as well. It might..change what you think about Ulfric. Namely Ulfric doesn't mind executing children one bit.

I didn't do either of those things but I'm very aware of what Ulfric did and that he's basically Hitler. The way I was playing Skyrim, however, wasn't as myself but as my character. And my Character hates the Forsworn, hates the Thalmors, and would love to see the Nords as the sole rulers of Skyrim. Also, he believes that beards are a sign of status in society (though that's pretty much a given in the world of Skyrim). He's actually not a bad guy, just slightly racist and loyal to people who appear to be his friends (so Ulfric's a bro). So, to put a historical parallel on this, he's one of those Nazi's that was more concerned with German dominance then killing jews and will probably end up either resisting Ulfric or being horrified by him when he does his Hitler-ish things.

Personally, I think I'd rather be on the Imperials side though.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 am

I got to play some on my friends computer and made a wood elf. So far it's looking like bows, poisons and swords for me. I'm enjoying the environment particularly, since they computer it's on is running the thing at... extreme, or somethign like that. Makes the people look funny though.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:11 am

Nearly a month later...

Enchanted bows and poison for the win. I've been popping dragons regularly (level 14) when I get the chance, and have been really laying out serious harm. My friend is actually pretty annoyed since he went through the game with summons, axes and shields, and had a lot of trouble with things I've rather soundly stomped into the ground at range (with sneak attacks!).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews