Final Fantasy

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby HeavensTek » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:48 am

For FF9 i gotta go with Freya.......i didn't realize it at first, but after leveling up on a few thousand Grand Dragons, her dragon magic kept getting stronger for every one of them i killed. by the time i finished the game i coulda wiped the floor with the end guys with just her alone. straight 9s across the board with every attack, both physical or magical.....

she's got a good story behind her too.

For FF7....RedXIII.....dude rocks like none other. :thumb:
HeavensTek

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:41 pm

I wasn't too big on him until he started talking... then he became one of my more favorite characters.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:32 am

Gypsy wrote:One of my favorite parts of FFX was when she was explaining why she didn't like lightning....

I just finished that part of my FFX walkthrough. LOL. I was ROFL when I swapped her into a fight with a Quactaur and she said, "Needles? I HATE NEEDLES!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oops. Sorry.
I also liked it when Wakka had just finished telling Auron that Tidus was a Newbie, and then I swapped Tidus into a battle that Wakka was in and Tidus says, "Newbie here." Wakka's like, "Sorry." LOL!

Rikku has the BEST random lines in the game! I pulled her into a battle with a Jumbo Flan (nasty beasties, those) and she was like, "Is that thing edible?"

LOL!
Mithrandir

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:04 am

You have to admit, the battle talk feature in FFX was a big plus. It really added an extra dimension to the game. Not only are there some funny lines, there are also some really cool things (personally, I like it when Auron kills something and says "Enough.")
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:12 am

I especially liked Lulu's "Burn."
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:08 am

uc pseudonym wrote:(personally, I like it when Auron kills something and says "Enough.")

The first time he did that my wife turned to me with a confused look on her face and said, "Enoch?"
Mithrandir

Postby Gleph » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:14 pm

LOL! I loved that! I'd so enjoy going through FFX again... it's a good game simply for those reasons. With FF9 i stole so much off monsters that by the time Zidane had his Treasure Chest attack thing he'd do 9999 damage on them. Which was a good 5000 damage more than any ofthe others special attacks. he he. As for FFX. I just loved it. It's great :)

I agree, Rikku definitely has the best random lines in the game :) But all the characters are great ^^ I could talk for hours on Final Fantasy... great series :)

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:32 am

uc pseudonym wrote:You have to admit, the battle talk feature in FFX was a big plus. It really added an extra dimension to the game. Not only are there some funny lines, there are also some really cool things...

You also have to admit that some of those lines are ALSO really annoying! Like Tidus's "Told ya!" or Wakka's "Wakka's back in the game." They got annoying real quick. But the designers realized this and added a randomization routine which forced the system to trail off how often it interjects these. My guess is that it's at least a sum-of-squares algorithm, because it's deffinately non-linear.
Mithrandir

Postby Anison Twilight » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:54 am

Millyfan wrote:Hmm, my favorite characters are Yuffie and Aeris from FFVII (Tifa=whiny fanservice, and why couldn't they have paired Cloud with Yuffie? Grr)

You can actually go on a date with Yuffie at Gold Saucer. If you follow certain guidelines.

Of course...you can go with Aeris, Tifa,...and Barret as well...

But If you want Cloud and Yuffie together I think a date at the Gold Saucer is as close as you can get.
Anison Twilight

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:23 am

The Golden Saucer thing was cool, in that it made the options you chose actually matter. But I've seen a full diagram of everything you can do to influence that, and they actually could have done a lot more.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:34 am

...they actually could have done a lot more...

Yup. I WISH they had, too!
Mithrandir

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:15 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:You also have to admit that some of those lines are ALSO really annoying! Like Tidus's "Told ya!" or Wakka's "Wakka's back in the game." They got annoying real quick. But the designers realized this and added a randomization routine which forced the system to trail off how often it interjects these. My guess is that it's at least a sum-of-squares algorithm, because it's deffinately non-linear.

The problem I found was that the randomization routine worked a little too well. I started wishing that they would say stuff more often as I didn't hear a lot of their lines.

I do remember one with Rikku and Tidus right after they had a conversation later in the game. Upon starting a battle, Tidus would yell "Rikku!!! Think Later!!!" and Rikku would respond with "Okay Okay."
That one was kind've funny.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Razgriz » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:12 pm

Yeah, Final Fantasy X is a classic...is anyone here going to buy X-2? I'm having reservations about it.

IMO...
FF7-best (maybe because it was the first FF that I played, i don't know.)
FF9-second
FF10-3rd
Razgriz

Postby Straylight » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:57 am

I'm almost certainly going to get X-2.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Gypsy » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:40 am

Yeah, I'm considering going on a couple days vacation after it gets released here ...
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:13 pm

I'd love to get X-2, but I ain't got a PS2. Final Fantasy X was a classic! I want to play through it again! It's too bad my neighbor, who owns a PS2, moved.
Anyway, who's looking forward to CC? I known I am!
Link Antilles

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:35 pm

I think the wolf will go into hibernation when I get X2. Note the lack of phrases like, 'IF' or 'WHENEVER.' :evil:
Mithrandir

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:10 am

Link Antilles wrote:Anyway, who's looking forward to CC? I known I am!

On the Gamecube? Oh yeah I can't wait... until Febuary. :waah!: Actually they suggest you have a Gameboy Advance to effectively play the game, and although my sister does have one I don't and I don't have any friends that have one. And since I don't think it is going online there goes that option. :( Eh... I will probably get it anyway. The idea of playing a Final Fantasy game with 3 other people is just too cool to ignore. :grin:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:37 am

MyrrhLynn wrote:On the Gamecube? Oh yeah I can't wait... until Febuary. :waah!: Actually they suggest you have a Gameboy Advance to effectively play the game, and although my sister does have one I don't and I don't have any friends that have one. And since I don't think it is going online there goes that option. :( Eh... I will probably get it anyway. The idea of playing a Final Fantasy game with 3 other people is just too cool to ignore. :grin:

Yeah, I smashed my head into a wall when I heard it was moved to next year, along with Starcraft: Ghost and Halo 2! :bang:

Anyways, the multi-player option looks pretty sweet! Yet, I have a similar problem. I have a GBA and three other of my friends have 'em. Perfect? No, those three friend can't stand each other! :shady:
So, I'm kinda hoping they'll do online mode and then again I'm not. That would likely push the release date back. THE GAME STILL LOOKS AWESOME! :rock:
Link Antilles

Postby MasterDias » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:20 pm

I've planning to get CC and X-2 and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance when they come out.

Now if only Square-Enix will hurry up and make Kingdom Hearts 2... :sweat:

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Bunny » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:13 pm

I sooo wish I could play final fanasty but my people think that its against Christianity to play it. They let me play Kingdom Hearts though. *shrug*
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:12 pm

Bunny wrote:I sooo wish I could play final fanasty but my people think that its against Christianity to play it. They let me play Kingdom Hearts though. *shrug*

Well, my people love 'em, well 'cept my dad. He prefers Space Invaders. :lol:
How did you like Kingdom Hearts? I haven't played it.
Link Antilles

Postby Bunny » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:16 am

I loved Kingodom Hearts! It was too easy, though. In the beginning it was kind of kiddy but it was cute too and then towards the end it got a tad bit darker (not a whole lot) and and a little more challenging. As you can see from my avator, I like Kairi best. Hope you can use her in future kingdom hearts games. (If there will be any, which I'm sure there will.)
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:11 am

There will. There's a thread on the game, too.

I do find it somewhat odd that they find Final Fantasy against Christianity. Mainly because I think of a whole lot more objectionable things, not because I can't see it happening. Do you know particularly why?
uc pseudonym

Postby kingoleer » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:00 am

I remember in FF7 there was that villa in one of the coastal towns that
you could buy. It cost $300,000 gil and I saved up for it and bought it.

I remember that it served no purpose other than being a saving point but all my friends had that game and no one else had the villa so I thought I was pretty cool. But I digress.

My favorite FF game would have to be the 1st one because I have so many fond memories of me and my cousins in late 80's suburbia, after school going home, putting on Licensed to Ill and sitting there playing Dragon Warrior and FF1.

This was all some time ago and things have changed. I think I like FF1 because those were just good times attached to that game.
kingoleer

Postby Gypsy » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:59 am

Bunny wrote: Hope you can use her in future kingdom hearts games. (If there will be any, which I'm sure there will.)

Oh yes. There will be. We're just going to have to wait a long time. *Sigh.*
Gypsy

Postby MasterDias » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:43 pm

kingoleer wrote:My favorite FF game would have to be the 1st one because I have so many fond memories of me and my cousins in late 80's suburbia, after school going home, putting on Licensed to Ill and sitting there playing Dragon Warrior and FF1.

Speaking of Final Fantasy 1, has anyone gotton the remake Final Fantasy Origins yet?

MasterDias

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:06 pm

Yeah, my friend got it. It's cool, I like the cutscenes and updated graphics. Though, I still like the version for the Nes better. I'm weird, I guess. :)
Link Antilles

Postby Bunny » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:07 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:There will. There's a thread on the game, too.

I do find it somewhat odd that they find Final Fantasy against Christianity. Mainly because I think of a whole lot more objectionable things, not because I can't see it happening. Do you know particularly why?

No, and I'm not really excited about asking either because then they will get the picture that I'm interested in them and forbid me from playing them all together. But this way I'm only banned from FF. Such a pity though, from what I've heard, they're excellent. *sigh*

Bunny

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:31 pm

..playing Dragon Warrior...

Ahhh. Fond memories in deed.
Mithrandir

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews