Final Fantasy

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Final Fantasy

Postby Straylight » Fri May 30, 2003 5:45 pm

There must be a thread on this - no question about it.

What's your favourite and why?

Mine is ffX - the graphics are superb, the soundtrack is amazing, the storyline plain rocks, and the battle system is to die for! I love the conditional turn-based combat.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Shinja » Fri May 30, 2003 10:24 pm

my favorite is FF3 for the snes, i dont know why but of all the ones ive ever played FF3 has the best story, and the music is awsome even if the grafics are dated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Gypsy » Sat May 31, 2003 4:51 am

I think I liked FF7 the best. That was the first FF game I ever played and holds a special place in my gaming heart. I love the main theme to the game, and FF7 had the absolute best version of "Prelude." I really liked the materia system too. After that, I liked FFX, because the story hooked me so much and the chars were all likeable, not to mention the fact that you could change them mid-battle, meaning you really didn't have any weak characters by the end of the game.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Straylight » Sat May 31, 2003 10:24 am

Yes! I love this one:

my favorite is FF3 for the snes, i dont know why but of all the ones ive ever played FF3 has the best story, and the music is awsome even if the grafics are dated

I always refer to it as ff6 though (that was the name of the original Japanese release). But yeah, I had loads of fun out of this game... the storyline totally rocks.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby madphilb » Sat May 31, 2003 2:43 pm

I'd have to say FF7, basically because it's the only one I've played!

If I remember correctly there is going to be a FF on the XBox, yes/no? I'll have to look it up. If so I'll have to pick that up.

Never finished FF7... I should re-load it at some time and play it some more. I have to beef up my characters (run around picking fights) because they're all a bit wimpy and didn't hold up going underground toward the end battle.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat May 31, 2003 2:49 pm

I've only played FF7 and it was good. Didn't get to finish it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby BrianC » Sat May 31, 2003 4:14 pm

My favorite Final Fantasy game is FFVI. That game is a classic. FF7, FF8, and FF9 were good, but I'm not very fond of pre-rendered backgrounds as opposed to real dungeons. I feel that all three of the PSX FF games are shorter than necessary becuase of the overuse of 3D rendered cutscenes and pre-rendered backdrops. Though not the best story wise, I really loved FFV becuase of the difficulty and the awesome class system.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:52 am

It is hard for me to pick one...but If I had to pick I would say FFX...I really don't know why I loved this game so much...It broke me on weaker rpgs....lol. I have played through the PS FFs 7,8,9,10,tactics and soon FFX-2...If I had to guess FFX-2might bump X in my eyes...from what i have heard. Plus...FFX had Auron...who, by himself is cooler then most rpgs. :cool: (touch his sake, and die)
Stephen

Postby LorentzForce » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:29 am

well, spoilers ahead...

FF1 was a weird game. i can't believe i finished it.

FF2 , aka FF4, was pretty good, but not quite up to the standards of...

FF3! aka FF6, was probably the best in terms of its technology those days and standards in storyline and such.

FF5, now, this was interesting too :) first time job-class was introduced, i think.

FF7, i DID see my cousin play it, but ultimately never had much chance to play it. i believe it would be very good. i'll have to play.

FF8, although the magic gathering thing was pretty boring, still was fun to cast ultima all the time :D

FF9 same story with FF7. i don't know much about this game. not even if its for the original PS or PS2.

FF10 and X-2, i don't have a PS2. i played it, and seems interesting.

but overall, i say FF3 was the best.
LorentzForce

Postby Lightbringer » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:45 pm

I love final fantasy 3 as well, sorry i call it three cause thats what it was on my snes. anyway. But i also love 8, i didn't like 9, 7 was good, but still not as good as 8 in my opinion, and 10 was good too, but not as good as 8 or 3 again in my opinion. I liked how there were individual people and classes in 3 , it helped define the people, but in 8 you had your different limits....... it was cool on both ends. so I like 3 better i think cause i played it before 8. played 2 as well, and that was cool too., but not as good as three........ anyway .... i just confused myself.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:52 pm

i've never finished an FF, but I've played a bunch of them. I played 8, but then my game glitched and i got stuck at that space part...i played FF2/4 also, and then i got bored...I played a bunch of X, mostly what ever that sport was ...oh, blitzball. I'm planning on picking up a friend's old PS and playing 7, since i hear it's the best...I might play FF3/6 when i get done with Super Mario RPG.
Rashiir

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:25 pm

Gee, I only played FF7, FF8 and yes, FF1 (played a few hours on it and had to stop since my brain was leaking out of my ears).

Storywise, I hear how FF3 is the best, but I wouldn't know personally. FF7 is saadddd~~!! *SPOILER* Why did Aerith have to die!?!?!? ::sobs:: Anyway, I'm in love with Squall from FF8.... up to the second disc that is -_-;; (he lost his cool attitude) and I really had fun with the limit breaks.

Ah, I did play FFX for a while and loved it too!! Although the skill system needed some getting use to.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:43 am

I liked 8 because of the timed hits, and I loved the sphere system in X. I got the biggest kick out of saving the spheres up to ridiculous amounts, and then it was like giving my chars steriods. Oh, and 3 ... the opera ... yeah, that was awesome.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Spencer » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:30 pm

Everybody is gonna jump me and beat me up after I say this, but...

I've only played one FF game, and it was for good ol' Nintendo. Dunno which one it was, but it was kinda fun. I played a FF7 demo on my friend's psx (hehe, my brother's aunt's daughters boyfriends sister...) and it was cool, but I haven't played anything else. :thumb:
:)
Spencer

Postby Ashley » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:38 pm

That's okay Spence...cause I...have...never played an FF game, period. I did see about um, 5 min worth of FMV...
*hides to escape from gasps and stares of amazement*
Ashley

Postby MillyFan » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:21 pm

My favorites would be:

FFIX, first of all. I love the characters in it, especially Zidane and the moogles. It's a cool game [spoiler=ending](although the end was TOO predictable, Zidane and Dagger meeting again, blah)[/spoiler]

Secondly, for the artwork, I like FFVIII.

Lastly, I like Final Fantasy Tactics. The plot and storyline are soooo cool and it's a departure, but a really good one. (Although some of you may see it as offensive to Christians, I saw it as really good writing and a good game. I hate the fact that I sold my copy :mutter: )

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:21 pm

ah good call, I loved Tactics, that had a great story, and I love stratagy games anyway, it was like final fantasy chess. My favorite thing is makeing up charicters so customiseing soldiers is my favorite thing in the world. Cant remember what the main chars name is but i think its Ramza... could be wrong , anyway. my stuff was. he was a Ninja so he had
Throw
Guts
Equip armor
Ignore hight thats all I can remember, but he had cool stuff.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Stephen » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:35 pm

Tactics was a great game...I loved just about everything about it...TG Cid is the man. Nuf said.:thumb:
Stephen

Postby Stephen » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:15 pm

Millyfan, please when you have a spoiler to a game...such as the ending of FF9...use the spoiler button feature that we made for the site....its a killer for those that are playing the game when someone wrecks the end of it. Please, in future reference...use the spoiler feature...ok?
Stephen

How to Use the Spoiler

Postby Ashley » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:17 pm

Here's how you use the spoiler feature:
[ spoiler="insert button title here, i.e. Spoiler!" ] insert spoiled text here, i.e. she dies, whatever [ /spoiler ] (take spaces out between brackets)
Ashley

Postby Shinja » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:25 pm

what! darth vader is really lukes father!1111

:lick:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Ashley » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:05 pm

In all seriousness though, it really does stink big time when you have something ruined for you, so please try to be courteous about posting things like this, especially with the new spoiler button, okay?
Ashley

Postby Stephen » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:07 pm

Shinja...sarcasm is not a nice thing....thats it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen

Postby blue elf » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:05 am

I've liked all of the Final Fantasy games that I've played, but 8 was my favorite. It was the first rpg I ever beat and I loved the love story.(awww, Squall*starry eyes*) It did get kinda annoying having to rescue Rinoa all the time though. I also really like 7,9, and 10. .. and I agree with you Shatterheart. Auron from FF10 was the man. He was just too cool. I have one of those vinyl statue things of him. I likes it.:grin: One of my friends likes to annoy me by calling him a drunk though.:shady: I thought Vincent from FF7 was cool too. Dark, brooding dudes are cool.^^;
blue elf

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:19 am

i can still remember Celes singing in the Opera in FF3. singing the song, Oh My Hero. i can even remember how the song went...

ahh, there aren't many games where i tried to memorise the lyrics for one of its songs :thumb:
LorentzForce

Postby Jimmothy » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:56 am

My favorite FF would have to be 9 i mean it rocked it (VIVI is the best) was also the first one i played.:thumb:
Jimmothy

Postby MillyFan » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:35 pm

Oh yeah, Vivi was cool, but I still liked Zidane better. I don't know why, but I thought he was a cool character. Though [spoiler=FFIX spoiler]it was really annoying that the writers had him fall in love with that whiny, self-absorbed princess.[/spoiler] I think it would have been a better story if he had remained single, LOL.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby MasterDias » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:32 pm

Of all the Final Fantasy games(or at least the newer ones), IX had the most complete and satisfying ending.

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy X's whole story especially how it was narrated by the main character.

FF VIII had a rather blah ending although the vocal song was nice. I still wonder what the script writers were trying to do.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

FF7 is nothing like FF9 and vice versa

Postby Anison Twilight » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:07 am

LorentzForce you couldn't be more wrong in saying the storyline in FF9 is anything like the story line in FF7. FF7 has one of the most complicated storylines in the Final Fantasy series. NINE, on the other hand, has the simple " save the girl" stortline through most of the game. In FF7 any one can summon and use White and Black Magic, but in FF9 the classic Final Fantasy class come into effect. Summoner, knight, lancer, Black Mage, etc. That's why they're so different...

Sorry, lost my head there for a moment...

PS: If you can't already tell my favorite is FF7 followed closely by FF8...
FF9: same story line with FF7
Anison Twilight

I am super bored

Postby Spencer » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:47 am

I was so bored, and hearing everybody talk about how great FF is, I made this.

Like I said, I was bored.
:)
Spencer

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews