Final Fantasy

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby inkhana » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:06 pm

The only time I run from battles usually is when I'm finished exploring a dungeon and I've located the boss, and I retreat from the dungeon, save if I have to, get essential items if I need any, come back, and run from battles til I get to the boss so I don't expend too much fighting minor enemies (this is usually only on difficult dungeons, though). But like you guys, I like to not have to...;)

Oh, and game enhancements are awesome fun...but only after you've beat the game once....:)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:24 pm

Oh, in FFX at the beginning I was advancing along Tidus's section of the sphere grid, and I see a chance to learn the Flee command. I didn't give it a second glance.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:42 pm

(laughs) A guy after my own heart.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Straylight » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:08 pm

Hehe, the sphere grid... that thing rocks
One of the main aims of all FF games is to "get ultima", that's what I often end up aiming for. :lol:
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:50 pm

Originally posted by djnoz
Hehe, the sphere grid... that thing rocks

Ug. Life force, so very weak. :)

But it's not so bad...
[spoiler="spoiler!"]When your characters can totally rebuild it.[/spoiler]
Mithrandir

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:40 am

Yes... Ultima is always cool. In FF3 (American), I got Ragnarok and instantly began teaching everyone Ultima. My final boss stategy boiled down to casting Ultima repeated (and one person could doublecast). It only takes about eight of them to finish off the boss...
uc pseudonym

Postby Alex_Dragon » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:59 pm

Ultima is good but i always found flare and holy to be more entertaining effects in pretty much all the games there are exceptions to this though holy wasn't even a useable spell in 7 so there goes that. but for all who've played 7 you know holy is good :rock:
The gate to tommorow is not the light of heaven; but the darkness of the depths of the Earth. -Vincent Valentine -Final Fantasy 7
Alex_Dragon

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:54 pm

The sphere grid was fun to use. Taking characters into other character's grids when they were finished with theirs was pretty neat.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:31 pm

Yes indeed. An Auron taken through Tidus's section is pretty cool. At least that's what I like to do.
uc pseudonym

Postby Anison Twilight » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:54 pm

Personally, I like 7&8 the best for their great storyline and so on. I really loved the limit breaks (Squall and Cloud) their final limit breaks were the most fun. they both also probably have the most things to accomplish as well. Emerald and Ruby (FF7) and Eden (FF8)...

good times...
Anison Twilight

Postby Alex_Dragon » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:05 pm

As for the hardest ff i'd have to say ff4 definately was you actually had to level up to beat the last boss i'm like at level 80 and still have trouble with him.
The gate to tommorow is not the light of heaven; but the darkness of the depths of the Earth. -Vincent Valentine -Final Fantasy 7
Alex_Dragon

Postby Lightbringer » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:47 pm

Yes... Ultima is always cool. In FF3 (American), I got Ragnarok and instantly began teaching everyone Ultima. My final boss stategy boiled down to casting Ultima repeated (and one person could doublecast). It only takes about eight of them to finish off the boss...

Really? I had the guy make the sword, then i went to the colloseam bet it to get the illumina blade. ( maxed out damage and casts pearl wich i believe is ff3s version of holy)
It wasn't to hard to beat the game anyway. Who was you favorite charicter from ff3? anybody. Mine was definatly Sabin

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby inkhana » Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:43 am

*looks over at FF3 glowing on her screen, then sits down to absorb knowledge from the wise RPGers* :thumb: A person could learn a lot from you guys about techniques...;) (BTW, we're playing it for the first time over here)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:34 pm

The Ragnarok/Illumina thing is an interesting choice. In theory, the Illumina is better, because the Paladin Shield can teach Ultima. But to be honest, I have no use for the Illumina, despite it's extreme power. Ultima will do quad-nine on everything anyway.

But to answer the other question, my favorite characters are Shadow and Locke.
uc pseudonym

Postby Lightbringer » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:38 pm

its nice to have the spell but i've always favored swords over sorcery, besides, my chars always did the 9999 damage and then when pearl kicks in its another 9999. Theres nothing wrong with either choise, just a matter of preference.

As for charicters , Sabin was my favorite because of his blitz attacks. not only are they easy to do, cost nothing, and can do awsome damage they do the same damage from the back row as the front so you get the half damage defence bonus for putting him back there. Plus he was just cool.... thats really what it all boils down too isn't it?

Shadow was cool because of his his dog intercepter. I liked the throw ability but really im an item mizer so i didn't want to use my weapons, even if i had no use for them.

My favorite thing about the ff3 charicters was that they all had a special skill, i hate how you can have all the charicters learn everything like you can in ffX, in my opinion it takes away from the charicters individuality, i know they have their own way of doing stuff story and personality wise, but still their fighting style should reflect who they are, and not what the player wants to make it. If it was a game were the charicters were more driven by the choises the user makes, that would be one thing, but all the charicters of Final fantasy games are made a specific way, thats what works for the series. So what im thinking there is ... if your games got charicters that are preset, then their fighting style should be made to reflect them. Just makes sence to me.... ok im done now

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Lightbringer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:43 pm

Oh, and I somewhat liked Cyan. Partially because I felt sorry for him. Of course, he has the potential to be the most powerful character in the game (of course, I refer to the glitch popularly called Psycho Cyan).
uc pseudonym

Postby Lightbringer » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:56 am

really.... didn't know anything about that. what is it exactly? And can it really be as powerful as the vanish doom trick?

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Lightbringer

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:12 pm

The "vanish doom trick" ruins all the fun out of battling bosses.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Lightbringer » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:40 pm

I completely agree with you, i dont use it. Im just wondering how strong that cyan glytch is compaired to the vanish doom one.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Lightbringer

Postby MillyFan » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:36 am

Yeah, I've never even heard of the Cyan glitch, and I've played both the SNES and PS One versions. Please tell -^.^-

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:07 am

Makes sense you wouldn't have heard of it, as it's a complex little glitch. Have Cyan perform Retort, then make him an Imp. Before he uses his Retort, kill him (magic works well). Whenever he is brought back, the Psycho Cyan glitch is triggered. Now Cyan will counterattack anything... including his own attacks. Eventually he starts dealing all varieties of damage, so it is gaurenteed to kill any enemy in the game.

Vanish/Doom takes the fun out of everything (so does this). But there are a few bosses immune to it (can't remember who at the moment), whereas everything will eventually die with Psycho Cyan.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:09 pm

Most of the bosses were not really very difficult anyway, not even the optional ones.

MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:02 am

Yeah, it isn't like you really need to use either trick to win. But they're fun after you've beaten the game. The only "boss" that's tough to beat is that guy in the Colesium who knocks you off the field... and that one's just a bit of a trick.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gleph » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:31 pm

I'm not aware of any tricks... as for me. Aerith from FF7 still holds a special place in my heart. I like each game as much as I like it... all are awesom ein my opinion for different reasons. FF9 seems to stick the most. Others agree?

I've played through all of them... I haven't used any cheats on them.... I used to play it for the gameplay. But i realise how significant the storyline is. The feeling... It's just phenomenal.

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:36 pm

Hmmm, when it comes down to it - Tifa was my fav FF heroine. Her character was really selfless, yet strong. However, I hate the way they made her look like a prostitute and exaggerated her … figure, because her personality alone (not to mention her totally cool hair) could have carried her through the game - without making her eye-candy for the fan-boys. I don't want to spoil the game for anyone, and although I liked Aeris (or Aerith - whichever you like) quite a lot, I just don't think she could hold a candle to Tifa.

My other fav characters would be Yuffie (bet that's a shocker), Irvine, and Eiko. (I'm still playing FF9, btw) and Eiko is so cute when she does her physical attacks with the flutes and falls down! And the way she dances when she wins and sits and does the little half twirl thing when she's idle ... (Steve, stop laughing anytime - he's heard all this before).
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:54 pm

Eh, I'm really not all that big on FF9. I don't deny there were plenty of good things, but it didn't really stick with me. I'm a bigger fan of 7 and 10, mainly because of how the plot went. Like everyone else, I like Auron. As for FF7, I like Cloud and Vincent, and a certain other villain who I doubt I need to mention...

Have you noticed I like silent types?
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:23 pm

Not everyone liked Auron. I liked Rikku personally. Mostly because when everyone else was being cheezily serious, she was spazzing out everywhere.
Mithrandir

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:43 pm

I'm generalizing. I always generalize.

That's funny... I could have said the same reason you did- except for not liking Rikku.
uc pseudonym

Postby MillyFan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:56 am

Hmm, my favorite characters are Yuffie and Aeris from FFVII (Tifa=whiny fanservice, and why couldn't they have paired Cloud with Yuffie? Grr)

From FFVIII it would definitely be Selphie and Laguna. Although IMHO Laguna's just a copycat of the "big loser with a big heart" anime stereotype, I still think he's a good character.

From FFIX, :red: :jump: Zidane :red: :jump:, Vivi, and Beatrix.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:17 am

oldphilosopher wrote:Not everyone liked Auron. I liked Rikku personally. Mostly because when everyone else was being cheezily serious, she was spazzing out everywhere.

One of my favorite parts of FFX was when she was explaining why she didn't like lightning - that and when she answered Wakka's " ... like happy festival fireworks, yah?" comment. Lulu and Rikku were my favorite characters from FFX.
Gypsy

Previous Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews