Final Fantasy

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby MasterDias » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:47 pm

I've never played a Dragon Warrior. It never really seemed to appeal to me as much as other RPG's and Enix's RPG's didn't do as well in the US as Square's RPG's did. I have played another of Enix's games, Star Ocean 2. Now that was a great game.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:51 pm

Hey, Dragon Warrior was fun game! Aw, the good old dayz. If you like RPGs try it out!

Wait, didn't Enix and Square merge or something?
Link Antilles

Postby MasterDias » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:24 pm

Yes, they did. The makers of Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior are under the same company now.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:05 pm

Sometimes I think the Dragon Warrior formula really works. The older ones, I actually don't like nearly as much. Not because they're old, just because they have no atmosphere. If a game is going to rely on that, it had better have quite a bit. Then again, I'll admit I'm more of a Final Fantasy type myself.
uc pseudonym

Postby MillyFan » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:35 pm

Yeah, I'm more for Final Fantasy because in those you don't have to walk your characters around for literal hours fighting so you *can* accomplish the next objective and see the rest of the game. . .unless you want to. i.e. lower-level characters can still progress in the game.

I gave up on Dragon Warrior VII after 100 fights without a gained level for any characters. Boooring.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:46 am

Not as bad as Dragon Warrior I. Seriously, you have to train forever to level up. I had a copy on my computer before I deleted emulators. Occasionally I'd think "hey, it might be fun to play Dragon Warrior!" Then after about ten minutes I'd realize how completely pointless it was. I beat about half the game that way, eventually...
uc pseudonym

Postby Lluvia » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:15 am

I'd have to say FF7... it was a superbly "cool" game, and truthfully touched all who played it. ^__^ To go into aspect, the materia system exceeded all other FF systems, the graphics were evocatively high quality, the story was resplendently ingenious as well as bracing, and the fighting arrangement was simply brilliant. I've merely played two supplementary FF's excluding FF7, and those are FF8 and FF9. FF8 is somewhat tedious and banal and the new look was quite intricate, and FF9 was well thought-of, just all of the characters supply the impression kindergarteners in addition to the game itself was rather immature. But indeed, FF7 rocks. ^_^
"In time of trouble...He shall set me upon a rock." - Psalms 24:5
Lluvia

Postby Spiritsword » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:28 am

It sounds as if I'm the opposite of many people on this thread. I've played all the FF games released for the Nintendo systems, but about the time they switched over to the Playstation I gave up home video gaming so I've never played FF7 and up.

I tend to go for games with replayability, lots of nonessential side quests, hidden or random items, a solid challenge where you can't defeat a boss with one or two attacks, and the opportunity to build your own party rather than having it chosen for you based on the plot of the game. In terms of video games, eye candy does not a good game make (that's just my opinion though).

My favorite would have to be the original FF, for some of the reasons listed above as well as the sentimental value it holds for me--it was the game that really got me into RPG's in the first place (though Dragon Warrior helped somewhat too). I really enjoyed FF2 as well (FF2 in the US, at least), though I never did get that pink tail for the Adamant Armor. I enjoyed the FF Legends series for the Game Boy too (at least the first two).

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:55 am

Gee. Sounds like you woulda liked FF8 and FFX.

BTW: My FF8 Walkthrough just hit 26,500 hits this morn. Woohoo!
Mithrandir

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews