Need help with Persona 4

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Need help with Persona 4

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:43 am

Oh hai thar.

So I recently started playing Persona 4. I set it on normal difficulty. I really like the game so far, now if it wasn't kicking my butt.

I've got to the point in Yukiko's Castle where you fight the Knight. Should I grind down in the lower levels of her Castle before I face this dude? Or should I focus on social links before I even go to the Castle? This is the first Shin Megami Tensei game I've played, hence my noobishness.

All help from the Persona experts would be appreciated.
Yamamaya

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:11 pm

General rule of thumb for this or any other Megaten game: if you can't beat it, fuse someone who can.

...You have been fusing, haven't you boy? Oh man oh man, just don't tell me you're still using your out of the box Izanagi or something equally silly.

But yeah, jot down your current personae, ability pool, and level, and let's see what we have to work with. If you've been lucky with picks, you shouldn't need to grind much, or at all.
Fish and Chips

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:59 pm

My level is pretty low at the moment.

I got Izanagi
Akparsus
And Ukobach.
They're all Lvl 3 or 4.
Right now, I'm just starting at the Castle after you fight Chie's Shadow.

I'm going to try to get a few more personas in the Castle and then do some delicious fusion.

All my peeps are at lvl 6 atm.

(more info to follow).
Yamamaya

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Yeah. I'd recomend grinding a bit more and fusing a persona that offers healing abilities as well as some basic offense. *if that is available yet' Otherwise, you can just purchase medicine, but still, the knight on that stage will be the least of your worries as the game progresses. XD;
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:15 pm

[quote="Jingo Jaden (post: 1502375)"]Yeah. I'd recomend grinding a bit more and fusing a persona that offers healing abilities as well as some basic offense. *if that is available yet' Otherwise, you can just purchase medicine, but still, the knight on that stage will be the least of your worries as the game progresses. XD]

Thanks for the advice.

My Akparsus has some basic healing, but no real offense, so I'll have to fuse her with someone else. I saw a few possibilities.
Yamamaya

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1502220) wrote:Oh hai thar.

So I recently started playing Persona 4. I set it on normal difficulty. I really like the game so far, now if it wasn't kicking my butt.

I've got to the point in Yukiko's Castle where you fight the Knight. Should I grind down in the lower levels of her Castle before I face this dude? Or should I focus on social links before I even go to the Castle? This is the first Shin Megami Tensei game I've played, hence my noobishness.

All help from the Persona experts would be appreciated.

You generally don't grind in SMT. Almost never, unless you want a specify ability for a persona and even then its a big pain. However... Seeing as how you are a very low level, it may be best to get those HP points up.
Solid Ronin

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Yeah I knew that grinding is generally discouraged in SMT. I'll probably only grind a tad, and then fuse a few personas together.
Yamamaya

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1502370) wrote:I got Izanagi
Akparsus
And Ukobach.
They're all Lvl 3 or 4.
Right now, I'm just starting at the Castle after you fight Chie's Shadow.

I'm going to try to get a few more personas in the Castle and then do some delicious fusion.

All my peeps are at lvl 6 atm.
Alrighty.

Apsaras + Izanagi = Omoikane

None too shabby. Omoikane comes prepackaged with Zio, Sukunda (lower a single enemy's hit/evasion for 3 turns), and Tarunda (lower an enemy's attack for 3 turns), and learns some nice resistances should you keep him around for awhile. Shrugs off electric attacks but has a weak spot for ice.

Apsaras + Ukobach = Forneus

Oh baby, so this guy. Strong against ice, weak against electricity, and COMPLETELY IMPERVIOUS TO DARK. Has Bufu and Skewer right off the bat, but who cares when he has Tarukaja immediately, (increase your own or an ally's attack for 3 turns) and Rakunda almost immediately (lower an enemy's defense for 3 turns). I think you can understand why having both those skills on one dude would be supremely useful.

Personally, I'd get both these guys. Snag Forneus first to level him a little while your waiting for shuffle time to give you another Apsaras.

Izanagi + Ukobach = Another Apsaras

Whoop whoop why would you even do this.
Fish and Chips

Postby Wallachia » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Grinding? I never got very far in Persona 4, but in 3 I just never skipped a battle unless I was about to die. I also made sure to battle my way up until a boss battle before leaving, because your party members didn't tire or become sick until you actually left the place. So as long as you stocked up on healing items or had healing spells, you could continually work your way through the floors.

Does the latter trick still work in Persona 4?

Wallachia

Postby Popyman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:12 pm

I know I'm late to this topic, but did you get un-stuck? You probably don't want to hear this but...Persona 4 is by far the easiest SMT game I've played. XD Good news is that P4 is kind of hard at the beginning but gets easier as you go along (it was like that for me, anyway). What you've really got to get over to play a SMT game is that you HAVE to make and use more Personas. Pokemon has trained us all to latch onto a few monsters and raise them until they're awesome--SMT games are not like that. You should constantly be trying out new Persona.
Popyman

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews