Game Violence and Morals

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Game Violence and Morals

Postby TheMewster » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:55 pm

What's your standards for deciding what games are good for you to play (MORALLY!!!) Or is anyone here amoral? I was debating on whether to play Pokemon or not because in some attacks you hurl FIRE at the Pokemon or spray acid at them. I already decided that it's likely not even real acid or fire or else the Pokemon would be severely damaged for life or more likely DEAD. Bit I've seen some people here hint to themselves playing really violent games or games with occult elements. What'd your standards for entertainment? God bless!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby goldenspines » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Moved to Gamer's Galore. Please put your threads in the proper section of the forum in the future.
goldenspines

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Violence, swearing, blood, and pagan gods and religion don't normally bother me in video games. Depending on the phrasing, some innuendo can crack me up, too.

Have I prayed about this, consulted the Bible? No. It honestly didn't occur to me until now. My parents, who I know have thought about this (which is not to say parents with other standards are dumb--I know other smart parents with stricter standards) have allowed me to play those games, and unless the content bothers or harms me (and I'm pretty sure I'd know if that were the case), I see no reason to refuse a game if it's good. I'm also pretty sure there isn't a verse about us needing to avoid 'sinful' media (correct me if I'm wrong; I don't like ignorance). Do I think playing violent games have hurt my faith? No. There are a million bazillion other things can upset me spiritually far more than Gears of War ever will.

To me, video games (along with movies, books, anime, etc.) are just ways of experiencing a totally fictional story that doesn't really effect me in any way. If I played as a treasure hunter, that wouldn't make me make that my life's work. If I played for hours as a Marine that wouldn't make me join the military. It might encourage me to look at those careers more closely, but the game alone would not guarantee I'd change. Same with killing, or other moral issues raised in-game: it might suggest a thought, but it doesn't force it.

I understand, of course, that what doesn't bother me might bother others. That's fine.

As for Pokemon, they're fictional creatures. And from what I remember of the lore (never played the games, but saw some of the show and read handbooks), even if you beat a Pokemon's brains out as much as possible, they only faint. Give them a potion or whatever and they're good as new.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Nope. I'm apparently totally amoral.
Ante Bellum

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:02 pm

My grandmother believed that watching pokemon would encourage my brother and I to abuse animals. We never did, because we know the difference between reality and fantasy. We know it would never be okay to set dogs fighting eachother. However, in Pokemon they just can't die. Clearly fantasy.

And if you were going on the lines of 'if this were real life', then the only games you could ever really play are DDR and Nintendogs. Jumping on desks in a school game? encourages destruction of school property. Superhero game? You might try jumping off the roof to see if you could fly.

Where does it end?

I'm not bothered by occult elements- actually, I feel rather bad since those religions tend to be grossly misrepresented or exaggerated for fun. Made-up religons? Couldn't care less. I'm not worshiping it, after all. No one is.

In short- it's fiction. I'm not actually grabbing a gun to go out shooting people. I'm not driving down the sidewalks mowing people down. As long as I'm able to tell the difference, then I have other things to be offended by that are *real* and worse for me.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Oh, this old song? Okay.

What's your standards for deciding what games are good for you to play (MORALLY!!!)

I never play any games that feature graphic depictions of bestiality, cannibalism, demon worship or smoking.

Or is anyone here amoral?

I was debating on whether to play Pokemon or not because in some attacks you hurl FIRE at the Pokemon or spray acid at them. I already decided that it's likely not even real acid or fire or else the Pokemon would be severely damaged for life or more likely DEAD.

If you're worried about the health and well-being of made-up fantasy creatures, video games are probably not your thing. Frankly I'm surprised (and, to be fair, relieved) you don't take the "Pokemon is evil" stance.

But I've seen some people here hint to themselves playing really violent games or games with occult elements. What'd your standards for entertainment? God bless!

It ain't real. That's all there is to it.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Edward » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Apparently I'm amoral, as I recall thouroghly enjoying filaying demons and evil ninjas using a vast array of weapons and magic in Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden 2. Video game violence and other stuff doesn't particularly bother me, nor do I think it incites me to do those things. I'll avoid a particular movie or game or whatever if I think I'll be bothered by anything objectionable in it. It's fictional. It's not like every zombie I've killed in Resident Evil 4 and 5 was an actual person that died. And I haven't played a game and walked away thinking how cool it would be to kill people just like in the game. I think the people who do those things allready have some kind of psychological problem that needs to be treated. Playing a violent game does not take away my choice not to do the things portrayed in the game.

And sometimes depictions of violence can be educational. The book All Quiet on the Western Front can be rather violent, but it is done to show the horrors of war-that is not the glorious thing the propaganda posters would have you believe it is-not to say "War is fun and everybody should try it at least once!"
Edward

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Wow. Ok, so I'm almost the perfect opposite of everyone else who's posted here, or at least I was. That should pretty well explain me, but if not, allow me to give an example:

Ocarina of Time.
Great game, right? Never played it. Why? Morals? What could be so bad about it? Let's take a look, in order from least important to greatest.

Element 1: Is that a skeleton?
Once upon a time, I played Super Mario Bros and played the ghost level. That gave me nightmares (but I was little then). That's not going to happen today, but I'd rather think about things that are nicer to look at because I know I'm going to be day dreaming about the game for some hours after I play it.

Element 2: Exposed body.
Only when you see the great fairy. It's there, but not nearly as bad as in other games. However, it's an example of such material that keeps me from playing a game (though such a small part of this one).

Element 3: Violence.
I wouldn't NOT play this game for the violence, considering that, until the final battle, you never kill anything resembling a human. Once again though, it's another example of content that deters me from playing such games.

Element 4: Magic:
If power doesn't come from God, where does it come from? (Incidentally, this also is the reason I won't watch lots of anime.) Oh sure, there could be some world physics or some such blah like in Tales of the Abyss. Nevertheless, I tend to be careful.

Final element: Other deity.
I live in a world where there is a loving, kind, god who can't be broken apart and manipulated by evil forces much less random characters. Why would I play in a world supposedly made by such a god?

All that being said, out of good apologetic practice, I present the other side.

1) It's a game. It's not real. That's been said already. But really, if you have a clear distinction between reality and fantasy, you can be addicted to games and it probably won't have a great impact on your character. Whether it does spiritually, no one can really say 'cause no one can see what's happening to the soul as you play.

2) Games can help you build up reflexes. Curious note: I've read briefings of studies that say your brain completely rewires itself when you play long enough. Your brain becomes more in tune with what's going on in the game. (Alas, if only I could do that at will.)

I spoke with my pastor recently about some games I had played with my brother. He said that games can build up psychological skills (something along those line; I can't remember exact wording), but if you play something anti-moral (for lack of a better term), you should balance it out with something in real life that is the opposite. Like if you play a killing game or any game that doesn't honor human life, you should do something in real life that encourages thoughts of the sanctity of human life, such as caring for children with disabilities.

Balance out evil thoughts from games with good thoughts so that you can maintain a healthy spirit. If a person likes something, they tend to like it more and more as they mentally dwell on it (i.e. think about it alot); if on God, then God is more liked; if on evil, they evil is more liked or at the very least, tolerated, regardless of whether you think you are more tolerant of it or not or whether it affects your outward behavior.

EDIT: Re looking at this, I feel like I didn't clarify myself well or say enough, though I said more than everyone else on here. Don't get me wrong about Ocarina of Time: it looks like a fun game (I've watched several people play it). My reasoning given for not playing is also rather generic, but I was trying to cover things in one example. Not a great idea.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Tarnish » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 pm

I stop playing a game once I genuinely feel like a bad person for playing it. I've never even been able to finish a level in a Saints Row game, and being just straight evil in Fallout never, ever works out.

Strangely, somehow Harvester remains my favorite game.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:38 pm

If violence bothers you so much, you probably shouldn't be reading the Old Testament.

With that being said, I try to avoid games that feature strong sexual themes, occult themes, or ones that put you in the shoes of a pretty terrible person. I don't mind if the game actually gives you a choice to be good or evil like in Fallout, Oblivion, Knights of the Old Republic.

They're not real. They're fantasy. This is important to keep in mind. I'd rather have a game feature a fictional deity than try to deal with the messy issue of real world religions and possibly spout some pretty ludicrous or offensive things.
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Yeah I like playing anything if I think it's fun. :D
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Agloval » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 am

I suppose I'm fairly permissive when choosing games to play. There are titles I won't touch, but that's not always for reasons I'd say were precisely moral -- I won't play the more recent titles in the Call of Duty franchise, for example, but that's more because I take issue with them politically. I'd like to think that my political views are at least influenced by my faith, but I wouldn't say they're the same as a moral code (I hope it's not too contentious to remark that being unable to distinguish a moral code from a political programme seems to me to lead to bad places).

However, I can imagine situations in which I would place more restrictions on my own gaming. In a similar fashion to the way that, without disapproving of drinking in general, I don't drink alcohol myself because I don't trust myself with it.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:11 am

Superhero game? You might try jumping off the roof to see if you could fly.

Would you believe there's a Superman costume that warns you that "Cape does not enable wearer to fly?" It's true! Kinda makes me wonder if some idiot actually tried it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:22 am

With me I think the biggest thing I look out for is violence or overly sexual themes. I think the most violent games I ever played where in the Final Fantasy series. xD Meanwhile I enjoy fantasy magic a great deal so...
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:46 am

I play whatever I want. If it's a game and it's fun, I'll play it. That's all that's important to me so that's all I care about.

I would not, however, play a game in which I was unable to sympathize with the character you play as to some extent.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 am

Nate (post: 1497156) wrote:I play whatever I want. If it's a game and it's fun, I'll play it. That's all that's important to me so that's all I care about.

I would not, however, play a game in which I was unable to sympathize with the character you play as to some extent.

If a game featured Fluttershy destroying Equestria and every last pony, would you play it?
Yamamaya

Postby Wallachia » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:56 pm

I don't care so long as the content I don't appreciate isn't being shoved into my face for the entirety of the game. If it's substantial to the plot or characters, I'll care less. If it's a game focused on displaying objectionable content for viewing pleasure with no meaning whatsoever, then I'll pass.

I don't think I can even name a video game off the top of my head right now that falls into the latter category.

Wallachia

Postby Xeno » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Nate (post: 1497156) wrote:I play whatever I want. If it's a game and it's fun, I'll play it. That's all that's important to me so that's all I care about.

Quoted for truth.
Xeno

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Wallachia (post: 1497208) wrote:I don't care so long as the content I don't appreciate isn't being shoved into my face for the entirety of the game. If it's substantial to the plot or characters, I'll care less. If it's a game focused on displaying objectionable content for viewing pleasure with no meaning whatsoever, then I'll pass.

I don't think I can even name a video game off the top of my head right now that falls into the latter category.

I think a certain game that takes place in JAPAN(yes it's spelled with all caps) would certainly fall into that latter category. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

This is generally how I feel about games. This is one of the reasons I play Assassin's Creed. I love the historical tokens in the game and I love the gameplay. The silly conspiracy theory storyline? Not so much. I do find it hilarious how they have a disclaimer at the beginning telling you that the game has been designed by people from many different religious beliefs.
Yamamaya

Postby Wallachia » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1497269) wrote:I think a certain game that takes place in JAPAN(yes it's spelled with all caps) would certainly fall into that latter category. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
A particular Strategy RPG with lots of, "Gahahaha!" and saying hello, I do believe.
Yamamaya (post: 1497269) wrote:This is generally how I feel about games. This is one of the reasons I play Assassin's Creed. I love the historical tokens in the game and I love the gameplay. The silly conspiracy theory storyline? Not so much. I do find it hilarious how they have a disclaimer at the beginning telling you that the game has been designed by people from many different religious beliefs.
Having played the first Assassin's Creed and most of the second, I understand where you're coming from with that. They're pretty good. Sadly, I only ever got around to renting the second game and the store I rented it from closed down soon after...

Wallachia

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:48 pm

I tend to avoid games with a lot of sexual content or over the top gore. It just depends when it comes to violence. I have no issue at all being a soldier shooting down baddies that are invading your country. I do have more of an issue with killing hookers to get my money back.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:08 am

Wallachia (post: 1497316) wrote:A particular Strategy RPG with lots of, "Gahahaha!" and saying hello, I do believe.

Not to mention its hilarious music. I haven't actually played it, but I've heard about it and listened to the music.

Wallachia (post: 1497316) wrote:Having played the first Assassin's Creed and most of the second, I understand where you're coming from with that. They're pretty good. Sadly, I only ever got around to renting the second game and the store I rented it from closed down soon after...

You should definitely finish the second game. It's great, well except for the ending which is yet another cliffhanger and an even more riduculous conspiracy theory that we've seen in countless movies and video games.

The funny thing about morality is in the first game you would lose health by killing citizens. However, when you finished a section of the game, you could always reload that section and you would suffer no penalties for killing as many civilians as you want.

The second game removed the reload feature and made you die if you killed three civilians in a row.

The funny thing is, when a game gives the option to do something horrible that tends to be the very first thing you try to do. *shrugs*
Yamamaya

Postby Xeno » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:53 am

Yamamaya (post: 1497382) wrote:Not to mention its hilarious music. I haven't actually played it, but I've heard about it and listened to the music.

You should definitely finish the second game. It's great, well except for the ending which is yet another cliffhanger and an even more riduculous conspiracy theory that we've seen in countless movies and video games.

The funny thing about morality is in the first game you would lose health by killing citizens. However, when you finished a section of the game, you could always reload that section and you would suffer no penalties for killing as many civilians as you want.

The second game removed the reload feature and made you die if you killed three civilians in a row.

The funny thing is, when a game gives the option to do something horrible that tends to be the very first thing you try to do. *shrugs*

No Russian anyone?
Xeno

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:10 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1497062) wrote:Wow. Ok, so I'm almost the perfect opposite of everyone else who's posted here, or at least I was. That should pretty well explain me, but if not, allow me to give an example:

Ocarina of Time.
Great game, right? Never played it. Why? Morals? What could be so bad about it? Let's take a look, in order from least important to greatest.

Element 1: Is that a skeleton?
Once upon a time, I played Super Mario Bros and played the ghost level. That gave me nightmares (but I was little then). That's not going to happen today, but I'd rather think about things that are nicer to look at because I know I'm going to be day dreaming about the game for some hours after I play it.

Element 2: Exposed body.
Only when you see the great fairy. It's there, but not nearly as bad as in other games. However, it's an example of such material that keeps me from playing a game (though such a small part of this one).

Element 3: Violence.
I wouldn't NOT play this game for the violence, considering that, until the final battle, you never kill anything resembling a human. Once again though, it's another example of content that deters me from playing such games.

Element 4: Magic:
If power doesn't come from God, where does it come from? (Incidentally, this also is the reason I won't watch lots of anime.) Oh sure, there could be some world physics or some such blah like in Tales of the Abyss. Nevertheless, I tend to be careful.

Final element: Other deity.
I live in a world where there is a loving, kind, god who can't be broken apart and manipulated by evil forces much less random characters. Why would I play in a world supposedly made by such a god?

[...]

EDIT: Re looking at this, I feel like I didn't clarify myself well or say enough, though I said more than everyone else on here. Don't get me wrong about Ocarina of Time: it looks like a fun game (I've watched several people play it). My reasoning given for not playing is also rather generic, but I was trying to cover things in one example. Not a great idea.

Out of curiosity, how is watching someone play the game different from you playing it yourself? You say you won't play Ocarina of Time (for reasons I completely understand and respect) but I'd think most of those reasons would still apply if you just watched, which you say you do. I watch my siblings play games all the time, and I think watching makes me focus more on all the non-gameplay (or, for lack of a better word, 'cinematic') aspects of the game (writing, appearance, etc.) because I'm not the one getting frustrated the third time the boss kills me. It's like watching a movie. But when you play, the cinematic elements work alongside gameplay, and your attention is more divided. When you watch (and don't experience gameplay) the cinematic elements are all you have. So I'd think those problems you have with OoT (which seem more 'cinematic') would be made worse by watching, if anything.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby USSRGirl » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm completely amoral. :|
USSRGirl

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:34 pm

I don't play games with overly gorey or overly violent content (there are a few exceptions though). I just find them to be boring or too try-hard - "Look at me! I'm a Mature game! Can't you tell?" I don't play games with strong sexual content or pro-occult practices. Things like throwing fireballs etc. no problems but summoning demons or the like? No thanks. I also don't play games where you're given free reign to do whatever you want (the Grand Theft Auto games etc.) I mean they let you do some pretty horrible stuff to characters and it seems too dark and pointless for my liking.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:52 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1497478) wrote:I also don't play games where you're given free reign to do whatever you want (the Grand Theft Auto games etc.) I mean they let you do some pretty horrible stuff to characters and it seems too dark and pointless for my liking.

I like free-reign RPGs because they let you do whatever- hence my fondness for Fallout and the Elder Scrolls series. (though GTA pushes my buttons since you can't really choose to do good if you wanted. I don't play it for that reason.). But being able to choose between whether you kill innocents or not is just like real life.
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:57 am

Atria35 (post: 1497512) wrote:But being able to choose between whether you kill innocents or not is just like real life.

Stop right there criminal scum! No one breaks the law on my watch! Now pay the court a fine or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit.
Yamamaya

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:12 am

Yamamaya (post: 1497528) wrote:Stop right there criminal scum! No one breaks the law on my watch! Now pay the court a fine or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit.

Oh noes! xD *run away*

While some of the punishments for doing something like that are ridiculous, it's not like they didn't have laws like that in the past. I also don't think that a game where you killed people and then explored what jail is *really* like would sell well.
Atria35

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews