Mugen

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Mugen

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:44 am

Does anyone here play MUGEN games or make their own characters?

I played MUGEN games years ago ... then stopped. Recently, I rediscovered the joys of 2D fighting games again. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby Midori » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 pm

I tried it out a while back. Got a pack of several hundred characters. If you get large packs the balance is terrible, and I decided it was too much work to assemble my own pack. That was the main reason I stopped. I thought the concept was awesome though--a cross-platform fighting game with open support for new content. I think the project would have turned out much healthier if it were open source though.
Midori

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:25 pm

NOOOO NOT HERE TOO T.T

Overpowered >= or <= other overpowered

I chose chuck norris, only way you could win was if you bashed his hat, which was impossible unless you were a ghost character or a constant damager...

Addition: I also happened to create a character, but they ended up being a ghost, so I didn't finish them...

and it's fun if you get a balanced set of characters, but that's so hard
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 pm

That's true - I find some characters ridiculously "smart" (i.e. combo me everytime and then finish off with special).

Might have a go making my own character when time allows...
Sammy Boy

Postby Wallachia » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:25 pm

I tried MUGEN out a long time ago and even tried a few of those user-made fighting, "games" and not just a huge pack of characters from everything ever.

What bugged me the most about adding random, user-made characters was that nobody really fit in unless you stuck to characters ported from a specific game. One fighter would look like they belonged on the GBA and the other was a tall, 2D sprite from the PS2 with choppy animations and bad effects.
If I searched around enough and actually threw stuff together in a manner that made the final content decent, I might enjoy it today, but I'm too lazy.

I love fighting games, though. Melty Blood and Darkstalkers are my favorite in that genre.

Wallachia

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:06 pm

I could never get it to work. This is one of those PC game things that I just don't get.

I would love to play it, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews