20 Years of Sonic

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

20 Years of Sonic

Postby ADXC » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Hey everyone today, June 23, 2011, is Sonic the Hedgehog's 20th birthday!

I've played Sonic games a lot and it's been quite a few years since I first played my first sonic game.

In honor of Sonic, this thread asks you, the player, about what Sonic game is your favorite.

My absolute favorite will always be Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Sega Genesis.
ADXC

Postby Furen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:22 pm

I think the adventure series was really good, my personal fav is Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (my first) though I really liked all the games, till they ruined the series (or IMO they did)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:43 pm

The first Sonic the Hedgehog game will always hold a special place in my heart since it was the first Sonic game (and first video game, oddly enough) I played. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was rather fun though.
Sonic Adventure 2 is my guilty pleasure.
And I really really want to find a copy of Sonic and Knuckles.
Sonic Heroes was lolwut (and is still that as I try to play it and beat it because the trade in value is terrible I may as well play it).

I haven't played any of the games since then. ^_^; I feel a bit bad since I do enjoy the Sonic games, but they've changed so much from being a simple "run as fast as you can, spin bomb robots on the head and collect rings", I can't take the Sonic drama nowadays. ^_^;;

Man, now I want to break out my Genesis.
goldenspines

Postby Okami » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:13 pm

I can still remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog on my aunt's Sega Genesis. :grin: Those were fun times, although I hated going passed Green Hill Zone because I would get stuck and die. :( To this day I have some difficulty after the beginning levels because I never got to play them as a kid! /funfact.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle remains to be my favorite - I'm really hoping for a port of this on XBLA. I spent countless hours in the chao gardens in this game. The voiceacting is my favorite of all the casts (although, I do quite enjoy the current cast) and the music was catchy and fun. ^__^ Sonic Adventure DX was/is a close second next to the original Sonic the Hedgehog. Replaying it via XBLA has made me realize that the dialoguing and voiceacting wasn't as great as I once thought it was, although I sort of expected that! I've missed playing around in chao gardens. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Furen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:43 pm

goldenspines (post: 1486758) wrote:Sonic Heroes was lolwut (and is still that as I try to play it and beat it because the trade in value is terrible I may as well play it).

Wonderful game despite the ratings, I complained because it seemed like there could have been... more to it...
It's very brilliantly designed if you look though, like team Chaotic is really hard to play for their second missions... (I couldn't get past the crabs) but I did get A+ rank for the last chapter (beat in less than 3:30 for it)

Adventure 2 is great (though I tended to stay in the first level for months on end grinding my Chao to fly and swim and run better than all other Chaos)

The miniute Shadow the Hedgehog came out, all games after it (Sonic The Hedgehog [not the original the new game with the same title], secret rings...) it just went down hill...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:17 pm

The combination of Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, hands down. I'm not a fan of the 3D ones (besides Adventure 2, and I want to try Adventure if I can get my hands on a copy), but whatever. At least I have the classic ones.
Ante Bellum

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:39 am

Yeah I was going to say the Sonic and Knuckles/Sonic 3 combination too... So stupid, I bought this PS3 Sega Genesis Classics or something like that. It had all the sonic genesis games (even Sonic 3D Blast... which sucked) except Sonic 3 + Sonic and Knuckles. I mean, it had Sonic and Knuckles... and it had sonic 3... but it didn't have the combined game.

Anyway sonic and knuckles (and Sonic&Knuckles + 3) is probably the most memorable from my childhood. We would play that for hours. We had the others as well but for some reason Sonic and Knuckles just sticks out. I guess because there was so much anticipation for it before it came out, at home and at school that it just stands out in my heart above the rest. It was a big deal when that came out.

Since then I haven't really liked many of the sonic games... aside from that one for DreamCast. That was pretty awesome.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:09 pm

[SIZE="5"][color="Blue"]HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY SONIC!!![/color][/SIZE]

This year is going awesome so far, the 25 anniversary of Zelda and now [color="Blue"]Sonic the Hedgehog[/color]!!! Wooo!!!:jump:

I remember when I played the original version on the Sega handheld since years. It was so cool as Super Mario, eventually I started to like[color="Blue"] Sonic[/color] as Mario.

Later, I played the games on Nintendo GBA and DS.(Sonic advance 3 and Sonic Rush adventure) It was fun to play the characters, especially with [color="Orange"]Tails[/color] and [color="Wheat"]Cream[/color], my fave characters/ I played other games on the TV counsels.

Glad Sonic had lived this far.
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:43 pm

Why wouldn't they combine the games? It was supposed to be a single game to begin with.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:07 am

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:21 am

:eyebrow: to that caption.

Anyway, Adventure on the Dreamcast.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:49 pm

Well, that Sonic at least looks better than the one from this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Q0_DgXHG0

Yes, Rouge is a naked mouse. I have no idea why.

Nate

Postby Okami » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:58 pm

Nate (post: 1487216) wrote:Well, that Sonic at least looks better than the one from this commercial:

Poor Rouge. XD Do they not realize she's a bat? ...I thought the wings made it obvious, but I guess not! XD
Okami

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:43 pm

This is why I once again recommend Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. In addition to a crapload of other great stuff, it has pretty much all the classic Sonic games. Seriously, you just can't go wrong. :thumb:
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Okami » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1487231) wrote:This is why I once again recommend Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. In addition to a crapload of other great stuff, it has pretty much all the classic Sonic games. Seriously, you just can't go wrong. :thumb:

Agreed!! :grin: I love, love, love my SUGC. It's made me realize the games I loved in my childhood....and the TON of stuff I missed in my obsession with Sonic the Hedgehog! XD
Okami

Postby armeck » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:06 pm

I haven't played as much sonic as i would like to. Sonic colors was a lot of fun! And the old games are awesome too of course!
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Nate (post: 1487216) wrote:Well, that Sonic at least looks better than the one from this commercial:

.__.; What...the...heck...was...that?

Gosh....this commercial is so awful it's generically weird.
At least the cake pic you post here is much better than this..

Anywho, besides the games, I liked the old animated sonic series. Robotnik is too hilarious :grin:
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Furen » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:17 pm

armeckthefirst (post: 1487234) wrote:I haven't played as much sonic as i would like to. Sonic colors was a lot of fun! And the old games are awesome too of course!

I want to play colours, I haven't heard anything bad about it, though people's expectations are also dropping because the last few were really bad
Furen

Postby Okami » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Furen (post: 1487330) wrote:I want to play colours, I haven't heard anything bad about it, though people's expectations are also dropping because the last few were really bad

According to Wikipedia, "Overall, Sonic Colors received mostly positive reviews. Critics praised the presentation, citing excellent graphics and music, interchanging perspective in gameplay and advantages granted by the in-game power-ups. Criticism included unresponsive controls and poor level design that led to an inconsistent difficulty."

Also, this game (with Sonic Free Riders) begin the new voiceacting cast. While I haven't played Colors, myself, I know that the new VA cast makes all the difference~! And while I may be biased because I loved the Adventure 2/Battle cast, this cast is quick in the making of my favorite Sonic voicecast because I recognize the names, the voices, and feel they make a comfortable fit (especially in comparison to the last cast!)
Okami

Postby Nate » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:14 am

All I know is the guy who says the names of the powers in Sonic Colors in Japanese does the voice of the Gaia Memories in Kamen Rider W.

Which led to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngcP8rhimc&feature=related

Nate

Postby armeck » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:24 am

Furen (post: 1487330) wrote:I want to play colours, I haven't heard anything bad about it, though people's expectations are also dropping because the last few were really bad

Idk how it compared to other "new" sonic gzames but i REALLY liked it and hightly reccomend it.
armeck

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:14 am

Nate (post: 1487352) wrote:All I know is the guy who says the names of the powers in Sonic Colors in Japanese does the voice of the Gaia Memories in Kamen Rider W.

Which led to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngcP8rhimc&feature=related
I love that guy's voice!

I almost want to buy Sonic Colors now...
goldenspines

Postby armeck » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:24 am

goldenspines (post: 1487368) wrote:I love that guy's voice!

I almost want to buy Sonic Colors now...

i rented it XD
armeck

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews