The New Super Smash Brothers...

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Gojira » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Giygas from Earthbound should be featured as a stage or mini-boss.
Gojira

Postby Furen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:55 pm

I don't see wolf link as a playable character, it just doesn't fit.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm with Furen, I don't see Wolf Link making the cut, as Link has been a playable character from the beginning and drastically changing him in that way would be a mistake as far as I'm concerned. Using Wolf Link in a Final Smash though (assuming they keep Final Smashes in the new game) would be perfectly fine.

As far as characters go: Sakurai (the creator of the games) has said that Smash Bros. is first and foremost a celebration of Nintendo characters. This is why practically all the characters from the games are from Nintendo games. The only reason Snake is in the game is because Kojima begged and pleaded for it to happen.

What this means is, there are probably going to be very, VERY few third-party characters in future Smash Bros. games. They will likely keep Snake and Sonic, but I don't see them going for any more third-party characters unless they are limited to series that appeared exclusively on Nintendo platforms. This of course eliminates many characters fans probably want in the games.

That said, of the characters that actually have a decent shot of making it into the next Smash Bros. game? I personally would like to see Geno (this one actually is very unlikely, given that Geno is pretty much exclusively Square-Enix's property) and at least one character from the Paper Mario games. Mario himself would be a great choice, and it's not completely unreasonable since Dr. Mario is a separate playable character.

The Blob from A Boy and His Blob would be kind of neat possibly (given that the Boy is just a regular human kid, I don't think he'd fit in the game well). Wart would also be kind of cool, though I don't see that being likely.

Other than that, I can't think of many other characters...the roster is limited by the fact that many great Nintendo games later went on to appear on other systems, so it's probably going to be reserved to additional characters from franchises that are already represented, meaning many of the Sonic characters have a good shot at being included (though obviously Tails and Knuckles are going to be the most likely).

I'm sure there will be at least one or two characters from obscure franchises we haven't heard of in a while, but we're not gonna get Mega Man or Crono or Simon Belmont is all I'm sayin'.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Midori » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Although the Subspace Emissary thing was a fun to do with a friend, and had rockin' awesome cutscenes, gameplay-wise it really wasn't very good IMHO. It wasn't anything like real Smash Bros., since all the enemies had HP meters and constant knockback. In the next game, I would like to see either less focus on the single-player, or more focus on making the single-player an authentic Smash Bros. experience.

Another thing I would like to see: a much more robust stage creator. I was thrilled by the idea that I could make stages (something I wanted to do since 64), but when I discovered how restrictive the system was, I was kind of bummed.
Midori

Postby Gojira » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Midori (post: 1485609) wrote:Although the Subspace Emissary thing was a fun to do with a friend, and had rockin' awesome cutscenes, gameplay-wise it really wasn't very good IMHO. It wasn't anything like real Smash Bros., since all the enemies had HP meters and constant knockback. In the next game, I would like to see either less focus on the single-player, or more focus on making the single-player an authentic Smash Bros. experience.

Another thing I would like to see: a much more robust stage creator. I was thrilled by the idea that I could make stages (something I wanted to do since 64), but when I discovered how restrictive the system was, I was kind of bummed.

I didn't like the stage creator because of the lack of variety (three sets of blocks, and almost no props to place in the backgrounds of the stages).
Gojira

Postby Riggidig » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:38 am

Battletoads! That or Rare REALLY needs to make a new Battletoads game...
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby armeck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:01 am

The bee from buck bumble would make an awesome spawner. How about another f-zero character to rival captain falcon. And each game has had more playable pokemon, how about timburr, or machoke. I would also like to see a shadow color sceme for sonic
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Midori » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Gojira (post: 1485612) wrote:I didn't like the stage creator because of the lack of variety (three sets of blocks, and almost no props to place in the backgrounds of the stages).
I'm hoping for a level editor on the order of the one from Trials.
Midori

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:50 pm

Riggidig wrote:Battletoads! That or Rare REALLY needs to make a new Battletoads game...

Rare is currently completely owned by Microsoft. This means that you won't see any Rare characters make it into the new Smash Bros. except the ones from the Donkey Kong games, and even if Rare DID make a new Battletoads, it would never appear on anything but the Xbox.

As an aside, this is why we have the unfortunate situation of Banjo-Kazooie and its sequel never coming to Virtual Console.

Nate

Postby armeck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:54 pm

There will never be a banjo kazoie sequal? I must have missed something at one time can someone please elaborate for me
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Midori (post: 1485609) wrote:Although the Subspace Emissary thing was a fun to do with a friend, and had rockin' awesome cutscenes, gameplay-wise it really wasn't very good IMHO. It wasn't anything like real Smash Bros., since all the enemies had HP meters and constant knockback. In the next game, I would like to see either less focus on the single-player, or more focus on making the single-player an authentic Smash Bros. experience.

There's a rumor I've heard that The Subspace Emissary started out as a 2D Kirby game Sakurai/HAL was working on for the GameCube, but at some point it got folded into SSBB. It's an idea that does have some traction: I played Kirby Super Star after TSE, and there's more than a few similarities between them, like the controls, the co-op system, how Tabuu's attacks are similar to Marx's (the final boss in KSS), etc. If nothing else, it explains why TSE feels like it was just tacked on to the rest of the game.

Maybe Sakurai can only make one platformer, and that one is a Kirby game.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Darth_Kirby » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Davidizer13 (post: 1485766) wrote:There's a rumor I've heard that The Subspace Emissary started out as a 2D Kirby game Sakurai/HAL was working on for the GameCube, but at some point it got folded into SSBB. It's an idea that does have some traction: I played Kirby Super Star after TSE, and there's more than a few similarities between them, like the controls, the co-op system, how Tabuu's attacks are similar to Marx's (the final boss in KSS), etc. If nothing else, it explains why TSE feels like it was just tacked on to the rest of the game.

Maybe Sakurai can only make one platformer, and that one is a Kirby game.

lol you know... now that I think about it, it DID seem like a Kirby game... lol I just learned something new!
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:31 pm

armeckthefirst wrote:There will never be a banjo kazoie sequal? I must have missed something at one time can someone please elaborate for me

I'm saying that Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie will never appear on the Wii's Virtual Console because Rare is currently owned by Microsoft. While Nintendo keeps most of the rights to the Donkey Kong Country stuff Rare produced, Rare's solo projects (such as the Banjo-Kazooie games) are their own property, and so Nintendo can't get rights to release those games on the Virtual Console.

This is also why Perfect Dark and GoldenEye were never released on the Virtual Console, despite being such popular N64 games, and why Banjo-Kazooie 3 and Perfect Dark Zero were exclusive to the 360, as well as the Wii GoldenEye game being made by Eurocom and not Rare.

Nate

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews