So out of curiosity...

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

So out of curiosity...

Postby Nate » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:44 pm

...anyone else besides me looking forward to Duke Nukem Forever?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:57 pm

I liked DN3D (and the originals), but this one seems waaaay over the top. Even for Duke.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kingdom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:30 am

I'd have to say 'no' to this.

Though in the past I played Duke Nukem's, that wasn't the same me.

I don't like how they are depicting women in this game, and sure for female characters will never get respect or the respect the deserve if they keep doing things like this. No game should have females nude in them.

That's really my final and only thought of why I will not be playing this game.
Kingdom

Postby Xeno » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:41 am

I'd say no, but that'd probably make me a liar. I've played the older ones, I will most likely play the new one. I'm honestly shocked that it's actually happening though. StarCraft 2, Duke Nukem Forever, what's next? Diablo 3? Oh, wait.
Xeno

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:33 am

All right Xeno! Glad to see I'm not the only one here who's gonna pick it up day one. :3

I loved DN3D, and I played a couple of the PS1 era games, but they weren't very good. This seems to go back to the style of the original games though, so it looks like great fun. I saw the trailer the other day and it looks like a blast. Plus I love the song they used, which is in and of itself a bit of a joke on how long this game has been in development (it was released the year DNF was announced).

"Sure, kid, you might grow up to be as awesome as me!" Oh Duke, you truly are the king.

Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:39 am

Nate.... likes FPS games?

Wut?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:58 am

Well, the Metroid Prime games ARE some of my favorite games of all time. :p

I don't hate FPS games, they're just not my preferred genre. I had a lot of fun with Doom and Duke Nukem 3D when I was younger. Duke Nukem Forever looks like a lot of fun, and no small part of that is due to how awesomely over-the-top Duke himself is. While I'm sure it won't be as good of a FPS as say, CoD or something, it has a lot of character and looks a lot more interesting to me than most FPS games on the market.

In other words, it's different. I don't think you can name any FPS games that are quite like Duke Nukem 3D was, and how this game looks to be. The only one that really comes close is Bulletstorm.

Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Sat May 07, 2011 11:09 am

I probably won't get this game as I tend not to buy FPS games. I don't really mind the genre, it's just not my favorite.

Plus I never played the original Duke Nuke em, so it won't have any nostalgic value for me.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 am

Man, who would have thought Duke Nukem Forever would ever actually be released? I guess the gaming industry's biggest joke is over.

Anyway, I went to the midnight launch last night and picked up my copy, and I played a decent amount of it after. And well, I like it! It's definitely rough around the edges though and there's quite a few problems. It probably comes with the fact that it's been in development so long and uses an outdated engine and had so many different people working on it though.

The biggest complaint is the game takes about 10-15 minutes to install itself on the hard drive (I have it for PS3) and yet somehow there's STILL ridiculously long load times every time you start a level...or every time you restart a level after you die. This is made to be even more of a flaw when you consider how short some levels are, some are only a couple of minutes long.

The game also takes way too long before it gives you a weapon, and there's far too little shooting for a Duke Nukem game. There's often long stretches of levels where there's no enemies at all. Adding in vehicle sections was also a bad move, I think, especially adding one in at the very beginning of the game, and I'm not too big on the platforming sections either. The ability to only hold two weapons at once is also a pain.

However, surprisingly, despite all these flaws, I'm still enjoying the game. It's still a lot of fun, and often times pretty funny. I'm having a good time with it, even though it's extremely flawed and definitely not even close to the best game released this year. And yeah, I'm aware that the game is getting destroyed on review sites...but I have a feeling most of those people never played Duke Nukem 3D, and are trying to compare it to modern games. Which, yeah, it's not going to stand up to modern games because of how long it was in development. I'm not saying the game is perfect or that it deserves super high scores, because it doesn't. But it deserves better than what most sites are giving it.

Nate

Postby Gojira » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:41 pm

I beat the game. It was okay. I didn't get all of the hype.
Gojira

Postby Tarnish » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:28 pm

I was actually really looking forward to this as a fan of fast-paced old-school FPS games and terrible humor, but, uh, after seeing one of the later levels...I'm not really sure I can stomach this. Which is rare.
Tarnish

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:51 pm

So i played it just to say i played it. It really was awful, i really didn't enjoy it. It was SO boring and it was crass and profane, i usually don't mind that I am not a prude by anymeans it just was cheap jokes than werent not funny. Part of it goes with the fact I never really got into Duke, and yeah the later levels are dark for no reason and wall boobs. Yes wall boobs, thats just ....i really don't know.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:01 pm

I read a few reviews of the game. It's understandable that the game would get bad reviews. I mean with it being in development so long, everyone expects the game to be fantastic when it's running on an outdated engine.

It looks like a fun game, but I don't plan to get it. Like I said, it holds no nostalgic value for me.
Yamamaya

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews