Wii To Be Replaced?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Wii To Be Replaced?

Postby Sparx00 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:55 pm

I just heard this on my local news. Nintendo has announced that it has a new system in the works to replace the Wii. It is said that it is to be revealed this year (if I'm not mistaken,) at an expo in LA this coming June.

I have but one question... What could replace the Wii? Do you think they'll just keep the current controllers? Make a new motion based controller? Or make a new controller that connects to your mind somehow?
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Maybe they'll make a console that can make you a ham sandwich.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Midori » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Knowing Nintendo, they'll probably be attempting to go in some direction we could never predict.

Like High Definition?

Nah...
Midori

Postby Xeno » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Midori (post: 1474460) wrote:Knowing Nintendo, they'll probably be attempting to go in some direction we could never predict.

Like High Definition?

Nah...

I've got a distinct feeling it'll be something along the lines of a Wii HD. Honestly, as fun as the Wii can be to play, it's not really of the same generation as the XBOX 360 or PlayStation 3 are. It lacks most of the technically capabilities of those systems, and I'd like to see them catch up. Perhaps they'll even name it the Revolution like the original Wii was supposed to be called.

Xeno

Postby Seto_Sora » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Meh, the wii kinda disappointed me. I own one and I really find it very little fun at all. But here is what I hope, that they change their minds about this whole different demographic thing and bring the Wii back to the gamers. Ya know, like with real controllers and real games that don't require a simple flick of the wrist. But then who am I kidding? They couldn't possibly do anything to impress me beyond the PS3.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Nintendo appealing to "gamers"? I don't see it happening.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Peanut » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1474480) wrote:Nintendo appealing to "gamers"? I don't see it happening.

Especially after their last console ended up in retirement homes across the nation. 65+ is a whole new demographic that no one's been touching. Might as well sell those games to our grandma's then.

In all seriousness, this isn't that surprising. The next console round should be coming within the next few years. The only question is whose going to release their consoles first. Maybe Nintendo will finally manage to pull that feat off instead of being left in the dust like they have the past two console rounds.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Seto_Sora » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Peanut (post: 1474485) wrote:In all seriousness, this isn't that surprising. The next console round should be coming within the next few years. The only question is whose going to release their consoles first. Maybe Nintendo will finally manage to pull that feat off instead of being left in the dust like they have the past two console rounds.

Well, Nintendo had its stellar reputation to stand on the last few generations. But I don't think that could really hold up this run around. Honestly, it would seem appropriate if Nintendo released first before Microsoft or Sony.

And ShiroiHikari, I think your exactly right! lol

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Midori » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Actually, I'll probably be fine with whatever they do with it...as long as they don't try to port Skyward Sword to it. I don't want that sort of disaster again.
Midori

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Roy Mustang

Postby Hiryu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:24 am

The game companies today are trying to appeal to families, although this has been Nintendo's policy since the 80's.
Hiryu

Postby Magicman7200 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:28 pm

actually it is said that the wii hd is going to have way better graphics than the PS3 well it is true that a sony graphics designer is working with nintendo on the wii hd or whatever it is called. also they said the controller will have 2 analog sticks with buttons and a 6 inch touch screen in the middle
Magicman7200

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:15 pm

It's Nintendo. They could slap their logo on a friggin' toaster oven and kids'll go bananas over it.
Though I might actually buy a Nintendo Toaster Oven. After all, I have more fun making toast than playing Wii games.
Of course, being a Nintendo Toaster Oven, it would probably lack a heat setting knob in favor of a bigger door. And you wouldn't be able to toast grown-up bread products like bagels or English muffins.
On second thought, no, I probably wouldn't buy a Nintendo Toaster Oven.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Project Cafe (Nintendo Stream)

Postby Furen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Nintendo has just announced their newest advancement in technology, they are going to release a new system by 1012, code named Project cafe (most likely to be called Nintendo Stream)

Further information from Wikipedia (there are references, don't worry :P) here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Caf%C3%A9
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Hmm... I'll wait and see, but I don't see this being like the Wii in popularity. I wonder how expensive that controller will be. Some people on Kotaku have drawn up comparisons between this and the Dreamcast. It's the first of a new gen, it's stronger than the last but will almost certainly be much weaker than its new competitors, it has a screen on the controller (and people will think Nintendo came up with that idea... People too young (*cry*) to remember Dreamcast, anyhow) Granted, none of these things are what made the Dreamcast infamous... I doubt Nintendo will fold any time soon. They've got wads of cash to ride into the gen after next and a huge cast of favorites to take advantage of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Hmm, they seem to be running late with their schedule...
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 pm

I bet grandparents can't wait to play games in HD now in the retirement homes!
Roy Mustang

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:13 am

Threads have been merged, carry on.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Furen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Oops, I didn't see this... >.< anyway

I worry of the price of this, I did see they are trying to be concious of cost, but for the controlers rumored to be what it is, that would just seem like such a huge amount for the hard core gamers (not that that'll push any of them away if they have the money)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1474692) wrote:It's Nintendo. They could slap their logo on a friggin' toaster oven and kids'll go bananas over it.
Though I might actually buy a Nintendo Toaster Oven. After all, I have more fun making toast than playing Wii games.
Of course, being a Nintendo Toaster Oven, it would probably lack a heat setting knob in favor of a bigger door. And you wouldn't be able to toast grown-up bread products like bagels or English muffins.

You're awesome.

The Wii would have been fine if it had some decent games available. Pretty much the only Wii game I've ever enjoyed was Wii Sports Resort and that ain't enough to entice me into buying one for myself.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Furen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:30 pm

I agree that they failed this console, but they have come out with some of the very popular, and well made consoles like the SNES and 64

yes, if the graphics were more advanced, maybe game developers would have decided to give it more games that were good, though there were some good ones, just not as great as they could have been
Furen

Postby Peanut » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1474692) wrote:It's Nintendo. They could slap their logo on a friggin' toaster oven and kids'll go bananas over it.

But you know your grandma would.

ShiroiHikari (post: 1475189) wrote:The Wii would have been fine if it had some decent games available. Pretty much the only Wii game I've ever enjoyed was Wii Sports Resort and that ain't enough to entice me into buying one for myself.

This is pretty much my sentiment and I honestly think motion controls as a legitimate replacement for a normal controller died when Suda 51 decided to move away from them. Come to think of it, Grasshopper Studios was the only company I can think of that successfully used all the Wii's control features well...that I know of at least.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:20 pm

hmmm... yeah, totally not impressed with the selection of games for the Wii. Actually, I was horribly disappointed with Mario Galaxy. I mean thats one of their signiture games. Mario Cart is kinda fun though. Still not enough to keep me playing it. Yeah, so what we got are some amazing consoles (Wii and PS3) but no truly spectacular games... like Super Mario Sunshine or Wave Race or Spiderman 2 or .Hack or Armored Core. I mean come on, all the spectacular games are a generation old... or is that just me aging?

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Furen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm an optimist when it comes to games, so I'm holding out for this last system, if it's terrible, I'm going to slide to sony (which I'm also a fan of) as my main, but nintendo will always be dear to me as it's what got me into gaming.
Furen

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm

All the games I play or want to play nowadays are on handhelds.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:42 am

Furen wrote:I agree that they failed this console, but they have come out with some of the very popular, and well made consoles like the SNES and 64

yes, if the graphics were more advanced, maybe game developers would have decided to give it more games that were good, though there were some good ones, just not as great as they could have been

It's not the graphics that seemed to be the problem with the Wii, so much as the motion controls. Very few games had a tight enough grip on the controls to not make it feel like trying to lasso a bull with a bungee cord.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:33 am

I actually liked the Wii...
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1475342) wrote:It's not the graphics that seemed to be the problem with the Wii, so much as the motion controls. Very few games had a tight enough grip on the controls to not make it feel like trying to lasso a bull with a bungee cord.

This.

Even in games with superior motion control such as Red Steel 2, I still felt like I had limited control over the motions. Not to mention the fact that the nature of the Wii's controls make certain games such as TPS very frustrating and others like fighters simply impossible to play.

I have a bad feeling that this new move by Nintendo will kill whatever small 3rd party interest that existed in Nintendo.
Yamamaya

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:02 am

The Wii had good motion controls.
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:33 am

broly146 (post: 1475382) wrote:The Wii had good motion controls.

Sure, I'll agree with you that the technology was sound, but very few companies were able to utilize it properly. Nintendo's first-party games and the first couple Madden games did it really well, combining button pushing with just enough motion that it wasn't annoying or gratuitous.

For example, Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii was great in all other elements (it's Metal Slug! How can you go wrong with that?), but they made you shake the remote to throw grenades when there were perfectly good unused buttons they could have used instead. It was annoying to do, and it felt like motion for the sake of motion, rather than being something natural or intuitive. Too many other games implemented motion as an afterthought - from the looks of it, there might have even been a mandate from Nintendo saying you had to use some sort of motion or pointing to make a game - and that's what's turned people like me off from motion controls. They had to do something with it, and what they did was mediocre at best.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews