What is so great about Kingdom Hearts?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

What is so great about Kingdom Hearts?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:27 am

I don't know how many people here are fans of Kingdom Hearts, but in other forums I go to, it seems that everyone loves these games, and I've always wondered why. Unfortunately, the only answers I ever get when I ask that are variations of "It's just so cool!" and "If you played it, you'd know why." :eyeroll:

So, if there are any Kingdom Hearts fans around, could you explain to me in a bit more detail what's so great about this game?
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:52 am

Its got a really great combat system and the first game has a great story. Its pretty simple but very well done. The ending has reduced many of my friends to man tears. Its also really interesting to see Disney and Final Fantasy characters interact
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 am

I enjoy the combat style to. It was one of the few I actually got the hang of. As much as I like video games, I'm terrible when it comes to the fighting part. Meanwhile I generally enjoyed the story and the theme of friendship. I'm also a pretty big Disney fan so that helped.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:39 am

Although I don't play Kingdom hearts that much, I like the series.
I really like that they mix anime themes with Disney and Final Fantasy.
Since I like all these things, it's really a cool combo.

Besides, the story is very good of what it seems so far. I love the fact that it crossover the Disney characters and such.
The weapons Sora uses is pretty cool (A key sword is awesome to me)

For gaming experience, I prefer the PS3 versions more than the DS.
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Beau Soir » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:55 am

I consider it the most epic and engaging crossover game that I've ever played. It's really easy to get into. It's got a touching and deep storyline that's unique and interesting, though it uses other Disney and Final Fantasy characters along with some originals. The characters are lovable and I like their designs and personalities... It's all-around a really fun game and a very enjoyable series. Not too complicated, not too easy... It's just right, and there wasn't anything morally challenging for me personally. :)

My boyfriend and I are huge fans of KH... And we can do geeky and fun fan things like share star (Paopu!) fruit with each other, too. ^__^

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Nami » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:56 am

Well, lets start off with the fighting system; Easy, and really freeing. You are hardly restrained and can basically go crazy while fighting. Which rules.

Second, the characters. All lovable, including Riku. They are relatable and truly very deep. In the second Kingdom Hearts, Riku's inner struggle is a reflection of an experience I'm sure, many people have felt. Sora brings a Tidus/Cloud sorta thing to the game, and is truly his own character with a deep caring for his best friends.

Third, Disney and Final Fantasy together is a total win-win situation. And brings a lot of opportunity to the entire game and opens many, many doors for tons of adventures.

The challenges are hard, but, they are brain games and fun to figure out.

I played KH2 in 3 days.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Yamamaya » Sat May 07, 2011 11:19 am

It's an unusual combination that is pulled off relatively well, which is refreshing as there would so many ways this series could have gone wrong. It could have become very narmy by becoming extremely dark. It mixes some of the themes present in FF with Disney themes quite well. As an action RPG, it also has a pretty good combat system.

My only complaint is that the Disney characters hog all the screen time, and the FF characters play a smaller role. That always annoyed me.
Yamamaya

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat May 07, 2011 11:24 am

I like the concept but I didn't care for the gameplay, so I didn't get very far. Also I got tired of freaking EVERYONE always talking about it everywhere I went.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mkalv » Sun May 08, 2011 7:58 am

I think its really good for various reasons. The gameplay is some of the best I have seen in an RPG, except for 358 and Chain of Memories. I like crossovers, so naturally, Disney and FF characters interacting is cool. The voice acting is enjoyable to listen to, and the plot is complex, and doesn't have the Mario "This will NEVER end" feel to it.

The boss fights are usually good too. In fact, the final boss of Kingdom Hearts II is AWESOME! It may be my favorite final boss ever. The story can be happy and funny, and then dark and emotional, which is good. I get tired of generic "Rescue da princess" plot after awhile.

So yeah. I'm a fan.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby Sparx00 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:28 am

Well, I liked the crossovers from the many final fantasy games, as well as the disney movies. Like many of the other people have said, the combat system is solid, but in my opinion, can tend to get repetitive when you go back to certain levels and fight enemies that are WAY under you level of power.

The story is fairly well written with just about the right amount of drama and suspense. Needless to say, the ending doesn't fail to impress and ends on a rather strong note.

I like the gummi ship builder as well. You gotta admit, making a gummi ship version of the USS Interprise is pretty sweet. Better yet, just build a huge box, and put a bunch of junk inside, and attach wings to the exterior and you got a ship that matches the power of the freaking death star. Totally awesome.

I think one other reason I like Kingdom Hearts so much is because it gives you a sense of nostalgia and in a way, lets you enter the movie and see what would have happened had you have been in it.

Anyway, those are the reasons why I like Kingdom Hearts.

(Note: I'm only talking about Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Chain of Memories and it's remade version don't count because they did not share the combat system that made the game what it is. As of the DS and PSP games, I have not played them as I believe that Kingdom Hearts belongs only on a home gaming console.)
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 pm

There are several reasons.

One: It is an Final Fantasy/Disney crossover. One with an excellent story which makes the characters even more epic then they were before. I mean, have you seen Mickey!? And Cloud!?

Two: The combat style is nice and stylized to a point it becomes good for even the less experienced players to like.

Three: The graphics man...the graphics.

If you give it a try, you'll get hooked...and quick.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Nate » Tue May 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Sparx00 wrote:I like the gummi ship builder as well. You gotta admit, making a gummi ship version of the USS Interprise is pretty sweet.

The Gummi Ship was hands down the absolute WORST part of Kingdom Hearts. They made it sort of halfway-decent in Kingdom Hearts II, but that just changed it from "stupidly painful and hideously awful" to "grudgingly acceptable."

Also, people actually used the Gummi Ship builder in the first game? Despite the fact it was horribly implemented and you can beat the game easily with the default ship and you get absolutely no reward for building a different ship? At least in 3D Dot Game Heroes, even though using the character builder gets you absolutely nothing gameplay-wise (well, okay, you get a trophy if you care about that sort of thing), it can't make you any worse at playing the game (like the Gummi Ship Builder can), and at least you always, ALWAYS see your character you created throughout the entire game, instead of just during 1% of it.

I also can't help but remember the Penny Arcade comic as I read this thread. Wolf, you might want to give Kingdom Hearts II a rent or borrow it from a friend. I know Gabe from Penny Arcade absolutely hated the first Kingdom Hearts game and thought it was awful, but loved the second one and thought it was fantastic. You'd be missing out on some backstory but you could easily glean that from reading plot summaries on Wikipedia for the first two games (since KH II was actually the THIRD game).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm

I think it's the combo of Disney Characters meet Final Fantasy Characters xD It's actually pretty interesting mix lol I also loved the combat system.. I'm rather be the one who does the attacking via button mashing xD It's a good mix of using commands, but also being able to do the fighting/button mashing <3

The characters are lovable and the art is great, imo <33
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue May 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Nate (post: 1479583) wrote:Wolf, you might want to give Kingdom Hearts II a rent or borrow it from a friend. I know Gabe from Penny Arcade absolutely hated the first Kingdom Hearts game and thought it was awful, but loved the second one and thought it was fantastic. You'd be missing out on some backstory but you could easily glean that from reading plot summaries on Wikipedia for the first two games (since KH II was actually the THIRD game).

This is interesting to me. XD I enjoyed the first game, but I stopped playing KHII like, maybe a third of the way into it, and never picked it back up again. XD The first was definitely flawed (awful camera angles omg), but it at least had a little more dungeon crawling and...other interesting things? It's been a few years since I played it; I can't really remember. XD At any rate, I remember KHII being mostly cutscenes and battles, which I didn't necessarily care for. Add on to that the fact that the first 6 hours of the game introduced completely unfamiliar characters that I guess I also didn't really care for, and I became completely disinterested. XD Maybe I ought to pick it back up again over the summer or something, but yeah, I definitely preferred the first.

As to the original question though: in short, the game is fun, especially if you're familiar with the Disney and Final Fantasy cameo appearances, but it's not the greatest video game of all time. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Tue May 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Yeah, they definitely made a mistake by having Chain of Memories be required playing to understand what the absolute crap is going on at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts II. In fact I still don't even fully understand it. Side games should be just that: side stories that have no impact on what's going on in the main games. If they were going to make Chain of Memories important to the plot, they should have just called THAT Kingdom Hearts II.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue May 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Kingdom Hearts is a fun game filled with many types of Square-Enix and Disney fanservice.

The story is terrible, though. The first game had one that provided a sufficient excuse for the fanservice, but after that it tried to be "deep" and just came off as convoluted. The battle system is pretty fun, though.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue May 17, 2011 5:09 pm

I never played Chain of Memories since I didn't have whatever it was for xD Although, I did hear about it, so I just kept that in mind when I played KH2 lol
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Psycho Molos » Tue May 17, 2011 6:09 pm

It also has Hikki singing the theme song xD
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews