Mortal Kombat

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Mortal Kombat

Postby Riggidig » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:18 am

So I've seen some videos of the new Mortal Kombat game that's due out soon for the PS3 and the Xbox 360 and in terms of graphics and gameplay it looks AMAZING.

But I'll never buy it.

Even being a fighting game fan isn't a good enough reason for me to purchase the game. I mean, from some of the footage I've seen the game looks REALLY violent. I mean, seriously. I can't remember when last I saw a game with so much explicit gore and mutilation. Some of the stuff I actually find quite sickening to be honest. It's a pity really. If it weren't for those factors I might have been pursuaded to buy it.

What do you guys think? Are there any of you who agree with me on this? Disagree? Planning on buying it? Feedback welcome...
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 am

To be honest the gore and blood is a part of the franchise, and always has been really. I'm not planning on getting it, mostly because I don't have any console system, but more because, if I wanted a fighting game I'd get Marvel Vs Capcom instead. Or Street Fighter 4.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Yeah, if your offended by the gore, mortal Kombat is being Mortal Kombat. *shrugs* I'll grab it looks awesome and gore doesn't bother me
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 pm

I felt the same way with the gore in Call of Duty 4. Eh, perhaps they still have a feature to turn off the gore? Honestly, gore doesn't bother me too terribly much in a video game. Yet, I still won't buy the video game simply for the fact that fighting games aren't my thing.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Riggidig » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:41 pm

Yeah, I know it's part of the franchise. I'm guilty myself of owning and playing the earlier games. It's just, with this game, the developers it seems have gone overboard with the blood and guts (I suppose it'll help sales). It's like certain movies that are out there just to shock you (Hostel series, Saw series). But that's just my opinion.

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:12 pm

If I were more of a fighting game type of guy, I'd definitely check it out. It does look wicked awesome. But watching other people play those was always more fun for me than actually playing them myself. I just can't think on my feet like that.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Solid Ronin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm

You started a thread about a dead horse franchise to talk about how you're not going to buy it... We'll. ok.
Solid Ronin

Postby Psycho Molos » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Riggidig (post: 1468410) wrote:Yeah, I know it's part of the franchise. I'm guilty myself of owning and playing the earlier games. It's just, with this game, the developers it seems have gone overboard with the blood and guts (I suppose it'll help sales). It's like certain movies that are out there just to shock you (Hostel series, Saw series). But that's just my opinion.

Yea I heard that during some fatalities at least...they show an x-ray of the loser and what happens inside during it.
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:59 pm

I don't think they're supposed to "shock" you. They're just supposed to be over the top. That's what it's always been, though it may have worked better in the old days (I haven't seen much of the new one) because it was low fidelity and the gore was intentionally cheesy (3 skulls, 10 femurs, and 20 gallons of blood from one body... That sort of thing.)

I'm not sure if this one is just trying to be over the top, but it should be if they're to be true to the origins. It was, really, the T rated MK game that wasn't true to the origins, though it wasn't a terrible game. I had some fun with it.

MK2 will always be my favorite... perhaps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm still waiting or not, if they plan to make that so called Mortal Kombat movie that I saw a trailer for last year.
Roy Mustang

Postby Riggidig » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:38 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1468686) wrote:I'm still waiting or not, if they plan to make that so called Mortal Kombat movie that I saw a trailer for last year.

It DID look rather interesting for a reboot, although I think it having the name 'Mortal Kombat' would either detract some from watching it or tick others off cause of the drastic change in plot.

Riggidig

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:28 pm

The first Mortal Kombat movie is one of my all-time favorite game-to-film adaptations. MK Annihilation was weak, though.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Riggidig » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1468754) wrote:The first Mortal Kombat movie is one of my all-time favorite game-to-film adaptations. MK Annihilation was weak, though.

I still remember how much I looked forward to and enjoyed watching the first MK movie on my 14th birthday. Still have fond memories of that. I actually remember at the climax of the fight scene between Liu Kang and Shang Tsung, during a brief moment of silence, someone in the audience accidently let out a MASSIVE fart. The entire cinema LOL'd.

MK Annihilation..... Yeah. Let's rather not talk about that one...

Riggidig

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:28 pm

I know this will sound hypocritical, and maybe it will be, but I loved the first MK movie, too. I think that, even without the blood, it still fit the mood of the old games rather well. It was over the top in other ways, and just as cheesy.

I didn't like the new "trailer" that was out (actually just a proof of concept video, unless you're talking about a different video) because while it was plenty bloody, it removed all the mythology from it... It's like that dumb King Arthur movie, or Troy... I hated those movies too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:26 pm

I saw the trailer of Kratos in the new MK game.

He fits in the series perfectly, since the GoW games were pretty violent themselves. He's pretty awesome. I'm not a big fighting game fan so I'm not gonna buy this game, but this really looks like a fantastic game, might even be on par with MK II which was pretty much the best one.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Nate (post: 1469187) wrote:I saw the trailer of Kratos in the new MK game.

He fits in the series perfectly, since the GoW games were pretty violent themselves. He's pretty awesome. I'm not a big fighting game fan so I'm not gonna buy this game, but this really looks like a fantastic game, might even be on par with MK II which was pretty much the best one.

MK II.

About that game. Does the SNES version suck or something? Because if that's largely considered the best in the series then its more laughable than I thought.
Solid Ronin

Postby Nate » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Mortal Kombat II was made in the era where arcade machines were still more powerful than home consoles, so arcade games that got ported to home systems had to be watered down. So yeah, the SNES version is greatly inferior to the arcade version. When people say MK II is the best, they're talking about the arcade, not the home.

Nate

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:48 pm

I was watching some of the Fatalities on youtube... it was brutal! I actually wanted to get it kind of. It's so over the top, it's quite funny. Seems like a blast to play. The Johnny Cage one where he rips off the head, pulls out a trophy, poses with it, and slams it into the neck stump.... lol... that one was great. That and the one where on guy rips out their brain, electrocutes it, and shoves it back in causing their head to explode...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:06 pm

I got to play this on wednesday. It's definitely in the vein of the original games, and if I was looking for a theme for the whole thing it would be 'over the top'. For anyone who was entertained by the previous games they probably won't be disappointed, as it earns it's M rating in spades, but it seems a bit on the unbalanced side play wise (Noob has several attacks that are ridiculously hard to avoid until you know how they work and Jaxx is insanely strong).

Mod note: Let's keep the descriptions of the content of the game pretty general. The specifics of the X-rays and fatalities, as well as some of the backgrounds aren't material suitable for a forum that has a minimum age of 13.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:40 am

Been playing this a lot. It really a fantastic fighter. Yeah it is about as gorey as any game ever but still awesome. My major annoyance other than the unbalanced Noob and Ermak is the females clothing. This isn't DOA!

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:13 pm

I bought this the other day. I was a bit hesitant at first cause I don't play a lot really and I was worried it would be too hard. I remembered MK had like tons of moves and as a kid, I could never get anything to work.

But this is probably my favorite fighter :D I'm still not keen on story mode and stuff... I prefer playing against other people IRL... it's a lot more fun IMO. Still, I'm having a blast learning some of the characters and it's not that complicated once you get used to how the moves work and start getting them memorized. As a kid, Sub Zero was my favorite (I thought it was cool you could freeze people... although I could never get it to work often). So that been who I've been primarily playing with.

It's fun though. Yeah, the female characters where next to nothing but I wasn't really surprised cause if I remember, they weren't dressed much better in the old game (I'm only familiar with MK 2... or 1... whatever was at the pizza hut arcade room :D). Anyway... I like it. The fatalities got old fast. And there are some rather super annoying moves some can do. Maybe I just suck but my brother finds these characters with stupid moves and spams them till your dead. Smoke is his favorite right now for that... he like teleports front and back and then knocks you down and as you get up, he does it again and again and again and again. But anyway, I'm really liking it.

EDIT: Oh, and does anyone know a GOOD fight stick that would work with this? I'm really wishing I had got the tournament edition of the game but I didn't even know if I'd play it much. But it seems a fight stick would make this a lot more fun and I really dig the old arcade style of play. And 1) I don't wanna have to buy a second copy of MK just for the stick and 2) the price seems to be super inflated now as it's sold out and people are reselling them for way more.
Scarecrow

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:21 am

Yeah almost every character has a move or two that is annoying. Noob has is clone through, ermak has lifts and almost everyone can teleport.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Oh, and does anyone know a GOOD fight stick that would work with this?

Mortal Kombat is the kind of game that doesn't need a fight stick. I can understand if you want one for an "arcade feel" but unlike Street Fighter, the game is easily playable on a regular controller. In fact on Giant Bomb the other day, someone asked Jeff what kind of fight stick he recommended and he was like "Pssh, you don't need a fight stick for this game, don't waste your money."

Nate

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Ah yeah, the mechanics work great as is but still I just thought it would be sweet and I've heard good things about the Fight Stick that came with the tournament edition. It was just a personal preference kind of thing... I'm happy with the game without it but still, wouldn't mind getting one for it. The game totally had me on a nostalgia trip so yeah... I haven't touched or even seen an MK game since the Pizza Hut arcade days so I just thought it would be cool :D. The one that came with the tourney edition looked really sweet too. I hope they either decide to release a PS3 version separate from the game like they did with the 360 one... or they end up on Ebay at decent prices or something.
Scarecrow

Postby Riggidig » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:44 pm

On another note I heard this game has been banned in Australia due to its graphic nature. Can't say I'm suprised though. Some of those moves ARE pretty disgusting...

Riggidig

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Ah yes, Australia, one of the leading champions of backwards thinking in the world today. It's perfectly fine to sell violent movies, but oh no, we can't have violent games.

No offense to anyone living in Australia, mind. I know it's your politicians that are the idiots, not you regular citizens. :p

Nate

Postby Wolf-man » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:44 pm

The game has a lot of gore because it is reflecting the original game. Mortal Kombat is probably the most controversial fighting game ever created. The original game became notorious for its brutal fatalities that included exploding heads, squished bodies, and the all too infamous spine ripping. The blood and gore is not for shock value, it is making reference to the original game. This is what MK fans wanted and so the studio listened. If blood and gore is a problem for you then you shouldn't be anywhere near Mortal Kombat.
I bought it and I must say that it is freaking awesome!!! Its so much fun! I have only played story and haven't had a chance to do multiplayer yet. (I just bought it yesterday) Oh and by the way I know someone mentioned the X-rays. They are not fatalities. They're just special moves.
Wolf-man

Postby broly146 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:33 pm

I played it and it is awesome (my own opinion)
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon May 02, 2011 11:56 am

Wolf-man (post: 1475666) wrote:. The blood and gore is not for shock value, it is making reference to the original game. This is what MK fans wanted and so the studio listened.

I wanted to mention those comments as soon as i read them, the gore IS for shock value seeing as thats what the gore in the original is there for as well. That statement really contradicts itself and what MK fans wanted was a good MK 2D game with some ghastly fatalities. So yea the second part is kinda right.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby mkalv » Wed May 04, 2011 8:41 am

I don't care for gore if its for shock value, so I think I'll stick with Street Fighter and Tekken.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews