Mortal Kombat

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat May 07, 2011 4:49 am

This game has been refused classification in Australia (presumably due to the level of violence). This means it is illegal to buy or try to import the game into Australia.

What I find difficult to understand is that films such as the Saw series with a high level of violence are allowed, but not games.

Not everyone is affected more by games than films.
Sammy Boy

Postby Nate » Sat May 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Your country really needs to get an 18+ rating system for video games. Like I said, I know you guys have no control over that, it's your politicians preventing it from happening, but still. Because yeah, it's ridiculous that movies like Robocop or Saw are perfectly fine in Australia, but not Mortal Kombat.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Scarecrow » Sat May 07, 2011 6:54 pm

I got my MK Tournament edition fight stick! It's so fricken awesome :) Sure you can play just about as good with a controller but there are a number of things I'm finding easier to do with the fightstick. Particularly some of the combos that were really awkward.

The only thing is grabbing and doing the X-ray moves are a bit harder because L2 and R1 are in weird places. They obviously intend for you to use the button moves rather than the L2/R2 X ray short cut move and the R1 grab shortcut....

Good quality stick though... it's heavy, very nice design, and feels very nice when playing. Everyone fights over who gets to use it.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Riggidig » Sun May 08, 2011 2:24 am

Sammy Boy (post: 1477262) wrote:This game has been refused classification in Australia (presumably due to the level of violence). This means it is illegal to buy or try to import the game into Australia.

What I find difficult to understand is that films such as the Saw series with a high level of violence are allowed, but not games.

Not everyone is affected more by games than films.

I think it's because the parents in Australia still see video games as a kids pasttime and are worried that they'll be wanting to play the game (age restriction or not). I agree though that it's a double standard: If you're going to be banning a violent video game down there why not a violent movie as well? Kids are resourceful and can get everything easily, especially movies they're not supposed to watch (I talk from experience).
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Sammy Boy » Sun May 08, 2011 4:29 am

Nate (post: 1477339) wrote:Your country really needs to get an 18+ rating system for video games. Like I said, I know you guys have no control over that, it's your politicians preventing it from happening, but still. Because yeah, it's ridiculous that movies like Robocop or Saw are perfectly fine in Australia, but not Mortal Kombat.

Actually, recently, all residents in Australia over 18 were allowed to contact the government and submit their views on whether or not they supported an 18+ rating for games. I wrote to the government myself and stated my support for it, not because I want to play 18+ games or am a lover of gore and violence, but because I think that by enforcing it, it can actually help prevent people under 18 from playing those games. From what I read, a few games that are rated 18+ overseas are rated Restricted 15+ in Australia because we have no 18+ rating (so it defeats the purpose of "protecting" minors).

And you know, one of the most outspoken critics of including an 18+ rating for games is the Australian Christian Lobby. Not all Christians agree with the ACL's stance on this, but because they are very outspoken about it, many of my non-Christian friends assume that Christians automatically want to "control everything" (factually untrue, but that's their impression).

Riggidig (post: 1477512) wrote:I think it's because the parents in Australia still see video games as a kids pasttime and are worried that they'll be wanting to play the game (age restriction or not). I agree though that it's a double standard: If you're going to be banning a violent video game down there why not a violent movie as well? Kids are resourceful and can get everything easily, especially movies they're not supposed to watch (I talk from experience).

There is already research in Australia which shows the average age of the gamer is over 18. People know this. But we still have this issue. I don't have a problem ultimately if there is no 18+ rating for games. But the powers that be should at least have the courtesy and integrity to remove 18+ rating for films as well. Personally, violence in films affect me a lot more because it portrays real people, whereas in games I am not really disturbed.

This is why I tend to watch cartoons, because if I see a violent image in a film, it tends to get "stuck" in my mind and I can't "scrape" it away.
Sammy Boy

Postby Roberts » Mon May 09, 2011 8:36 am

Sammy Boy (post: 1477522) wrote:Actually, recently, all residents in Australia over 18 were allowed to contact the government and submit their views on whether or not they supported an 18+ rating for games. I wrote to the government myself and stated my support for it, not because I want to play 18+ games or am a lover of gore and violence, but because I think that by enforcing it, it can actually help prevent people under 18 from playing those games. From what I read, a few games that are rated 18+ overseas are rated Restricted 15+ in Australia because we have no 18+ rating (so it defeats the purpose of "protecting" minors).
Yeah, this is about where I stand on it.

I read an article a few days ago stating that the ACT, SA, and QLD are going to go ahead with implementing an R18+ rating sometime in June even if no unanimous decision gets made. This is a good start I guess. To be honest, after taking this long to get anywhere, I'm fairly apathetic about the whole issue.

Anyway, hope you guys are enjoying the first "good" Mortal Kombat game since, like, the second one :thumb:.
Roberts

Previous

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews